Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 03:54 PM

708 posts, read 1,296,500 times

Advertisements

I have been to Charlottesville and must say that I was a bit underwhelmed. Yes, it was nice but the areas just outside the mall were quite run down and I am not sure if I would feel safe walking around at night. I love to walk.

I am quite liberal and looking for a place that feels comfortable, where the people are mostly nice and friendly. Currently I am in Boulder and the people aren't so friendly and doesn't feel so comfortable.

Housing prices aren't so much of an issue. My wife works as a nurse and would want to get a part time job in the nursing field.

I have developed asthma as soon as I moved to CO and the altitude, lack of humidity and overall dryness have contributed to a decline in my health.

Does anyone have experience with living in either city or perhaps both?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 04:27 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
I was in Charlottesville as an undergraduate from 8/94-5/97. Fashion Square was pretty horrible and there wasn't much to the downtown mall. It was a pretty place, but a bit isolated for me. Now it's a bit better, plus Richmond now has some good shopping which isn't too far. I've only been to Chapel Hill once, but I thought it was very nice. It's one of the most upscale parts of the Triangle. In my opinion it's very liberal. In Chapel Hill you have easy access to the rest of the Triangle (unlike C'Ville which I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere).

Old 01-13-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
I was in Charlottesville as an undergraduate from 8/94-5/97. Fashion Square was pretty horrible and there wasn't much to the downtown mall. It was a pretty place, but a bit isolated for me. Now it's a bit better, plus Richmond now has some good shopping which isn't too far. I've only been to Chapel Hill once, but I thought it was very nice. It's one of the most upscale parts of the Triangle. In my opinion it's very liberal. In Chapel Hill you have easy access to the rest of the Triangle (unlike C'Ville which I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere).
Thank you. I felt the same way about Charlottesville. It seemed to be in the middle of nowhere. I wonder if Chapel Hill is as crowded as Charlottesville seemed. There was a lot of traffic the day I was there.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:25 PM

38 posts, read 123,879 times
My brother lives in Charlottesville and I'd visited many times, as has he to Chapel Hill. He's commented that the traffic is much worse there than here. We get busy during rush hour on the highways, but have good movement within town. There's a lot of land, and Chapel Hill (and Orange County generally) is rather slow-growth. They are very measured in their approach to approve new communities. Thus it does not feel over-built and there's a tremendous amount of open space to balance what is developed. (I only feel the crowds on game days around campus....!)

I moved here from Boston almost 17 years ago and have found Chapel Hill/Carrboro to be a progressive, diverse, environmentally conscious and all around lovely place to live. I was nervous coming from the Northeast, but found that the Chapel Hill area offered the best of Boston's culture, forward thinking and diversity, without the traffic, weather or hectic pace of the big city.

Best wishes!

Old 01-13-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Connection View Post
My brother lives in Charlottesville and I'd visited many times, as has he to Chapel Hill. He's commented that the traffic is much worse there than here. We get busy during rush hour on the highways, but have good movement within town. There's a lot of land, and Chapel Hill (and Orange County generally) is rather slow-growth. They are very measured in their approach to approve new communities. Thus it does not feel over-built and there's a tremendous amount of open space to balance what is developed. (I only feel the crowds on game days around campus....!)

I moved here from Boston almost 17 years ago and have found Chapel Hill/Carrboro to be a progressive, diverse, environmentally conscious and all around lovely place to live. I was nervous coming from the Northeast, but found that the Chapel Hill area offered the best of Boston's culture, forward thinking and diversity, without the traffic, weather or hectic pace of the big city.

Best wishes!
Sounds great, as I am also from the Northeast. Anything you don't like about Chapel Hill?

Old 01-13-2008, 05:50 PM

38 posts, read 123,879 times
Not really. For a while there wasn't a great Thai restaurant, but now we've got a couple of quite yummy choices. There really isn't anything I don't like about this place. I think it offers a wonderful quality of life. Great culture, great healthcare, great access to the outdoors. I love that you can be in town seeing the Royal Philharmonic (here this past week) and in ten minutes be in farm country. I guess what I like least is the humidity in August, but you get used to it. (Now I'm used to the heat and instead am a wimp going back to the Northeast in the cold, though I grew up in New Hampshire.)

Take care.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:16 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
Anything you don't like about Chapel Hill?
The only things I don't like about Chapel Hill are ...
1. it is home to some of the most expensive real estate in the Triangle
and
2. parking around the university is nearly impossible to find on weekdays.

However! Real estate costs more because it's a great town with much to offer. And as a pervious poster mentioned, they're very smart about growth there, so there tends to be more demand than supply. There are two sides to that coin.

And as for the parking? If you live there, that is easily remedied because Chapel Hill has a free bus service. If you're planning on moving there to go to UNC, try to live close to the bus line.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:27 AM

2 posts, read 9,521 times
I lived in Charlottesville till a week ago, and must say it deserves a second look. It's really come along in the 5 years it's been here, and I think the downtown mall is actually a lot safer than you seem to think. Yes, there is no city life unless you go to Richmond, but there are the Blue Ridge hikes stones throw away.

I'm relocating to the Triangle, so I guess I'll be checking out CH.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:47 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
My brother and his family live in Charltottesville and I have been there on multiple occasions. I think it's a lovely town but I have to agree that I feel isolated when there. Also, the weather feels more like the North than it does the South to me. It snows more often in the Winter and Summer is shorter.
The overall size of the metropolitan (or is that micropolitan?) area really shows when it comes to retail options. My brother and his family have to travel 60+ miles to Richmond to access the sort of shopping that they were used to when they lived in the Triangle.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:13 AM

40 posts, read 193,746 times
Default I second Karteek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karteek View Post
I lived in Charlottesville till a week ago, and must say it deserves a second look. It's really come along in the 5 years it's been here, and I think the downtown mall is actually a lot safer than you seem to think. Yes, there is no city life unless you go to Richmond, but there are the Blue Ridge hikes stones throw away.

I'm relocating to the Triangle, so I guess I'll be checking out CH.
Even though I sell real estate here in Charlottesville (some people would think I may be biased because of my occupation) I truly think Charlottesville is one of the best "all around" smaller towns. What impresses me is the abundance of sophistication for such a small city. Obviously, the nucleus of the town is University of Virginia. We considered relocating (for my wife's job) last year and spent some time in Chapel Hill, Winston-Salem and other parts of NC. We eventually decided that Charlottesville is still where we wanted to stay and raise our family. My personal highlights of the town:

1) Beautiful surroundings
2) Vibrant downtown life for my life style (My kids and I enjoy the ACAC facilities, downtown discovery museum, c-ville pavilion, the renovated McGuffey Park, puppet theater, ice-rink, and numerous little eateries: gellato, dumplings, crapes, etc. all downtown)
3) For a small town we get heck of entertainment acts: The Police, Cirque-Du-Soleil, Dave Matthews (home town), Yo-Yo Ma, etc.
4) UVA sports teams are also exciting to watch and a great way to get all the family involved.
5) Neat properties (from family subdivisions to farm houses on beautiful rolling hills)
6) University sponsored events: because I love music as well, I participate in UVa's various workshops and seminars that are usually open to the public.

My wife does mention lack of major shopping (Crate and Barrel, Nordstrom's, etc.) For that we take day trips to Short Pump (about a 50 minute car ride). Since I'm not too big into shopping, I'm perfectly fine without the major retail players being in town.

Also, I feel like we're tucked away between two major metropolitan areas: DC area 2 hours away, Richmond 1 hour away.

Whoever said Downtown area has gone through major uplifts over the last 7 years or so is correct. It's actually very very nice.

I love Friday's after 5:00 on the mall with all the families and professionals, beer, and music.

If you have any specific questions, I'd try to answer best I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary