Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2015, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,699 times

Advertisements

I am looking to put in a paver patio in my backyard but I have a creek running across the back yard. I looked up my survey and there is a 50 ft repairian buffer from the creek. Now depending where you measure because the creek is S shape my new pation would overlap the buffer by 1 to 5 feet. Plus I would need to build a landscaping wall maybe a foot or two high to level land. My question is do I need a permit and if so what is the process when building in a repairian buffer zone? Also I do not have to remove any trees if that makes any difference in needing a permit. Thanks to anyone that can help with these questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 02:39 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,591,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1605 View Post
I am looking to put in a paver patio in my backyard but I have a creek running across the back yard. I looked up my survey and there is a 50 ft riparian buffer from the creek. Now depending where you measure because the creek is S shape my new patio would overlap the buffer by 1 to 5 feet. Plus I would need to build a landscaping wall maybe a foot or two high to level land. My question is do I need a permit and if so what is the process when building in a riparian buffer zone? Also I do not have to remove any trees if that makes any difference in needing a permit. Thanks to anyone that can help with these questions.
The rules which govern protection of streams may vary by location. For Apex (including the Apex Extraterritorial Jurisdiction) you may refer to the Town's Unified Development Ordinance.
http://files.apexnc.org/docs/plan/udo/udo.pdf

There is an important distinction between perennial streams and intermittent streams.

The term "riparian" appears in many places in this large and detailed document. Of particular interest is Table 6.11.1(G)(1) which enumerates allowable uses within a riparian buffer and Article 12, a table of definitions.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:35 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
You will want to contact the planning department for whatever town you are in within Wake County, or call county planning directly if you are in an unincorporated area. They will be best source of information to your questions.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:30 PM

214 posts, read 695,467 times
Last I checked most towns just echoed the Wake county ordinance, which states that there is actually a 20'+30' buffer. You cant really disturb anything 20 feet from the stream, over the next 30 feet there are restrictions - you have to replace any disturbed vegetation, you have to avoid silt runoff and you cant build permanent structures or non-permeable surfaces. It is debatable whether pavers are non-permeable. An alternative is something like compacted crushed granite which is water permeable and is functionally the same as pavers.

That said I agree the best thing to do is call up your town planning department because they do the enforcement. Turns out they were fine with me building a fence within 6' of the stream and building a wooden bridge over over it so long as I didnt mess with the water flow. The planner basically said the rules are strict because of developers but the town almost never enforces anything on homeowners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary