Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 01:02 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Is that at the elementry level only, or does the same thing apply to band and orchestra in middle schools?
It is my understanding that non-magnet middle schools do not have band and orchestra. But I don't live there. Perhaps Raleighjayne or someone else can clarify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 02:34 PM

7 posts, read 38,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
It is my understanding that non-magnet middle schools do not have band and orchestra. But I don't live there. Perhaps Raleighjayne or someone else can clarify.
Non-magnet middle schools DO have band and orchestra. For example, Dillard Drive Middle has a terrific middle school band program (both my children went there and positively THRIVED due to the band program -- both also went on to band at Athens Drive; one is still there and one is onto NCSU).

As far as redistricting, it seems like the highest growth areas are the ones that get redistricted a lot. My kids have not been affected by any redistricting, however, my subdivision comes up every year recently to redistrict the elementary school. The affected parents in my subdivision have done a stellar job at keeping us at A.B. Combs, where there must be a half-dozen elementary schools that are closer (and we have to pass at least three directly on our way to get to AB Combs!).

Actually, to be fair, my kids have been affected by the number of friends that have been redistricted to other schools. We've used this as a "teachable moment" to encourage them to make new friends and find time and activities to see the old friends. They've met up with elementary school friends in middle or high school, and it's been actually a pretty positive experience when they meet up with their long-lost friends years later. We've learned that every school in Wake County has some very good things about it, and some not-so-stellar aspects, from the perspectives of both parents and students. We've learned that sometimes it sounds horrible to have to go somewhere new, but the process of change and the new avenues it opens up can be a blessing in disguise.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:52 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Yes, non magnet middle schools can/do have band and orchestra.

And I totally agree with Scout, there are pros and cons of every school out there. You have to teach your kids to be positive and learn how to make the best of every situation. Kids are more resilient than most adults give them credit for and their attitudes are reflected in their parents' behavior towards hardship.

My 13 year old has changed schools 3 times in 3 years (not due to redisctricting) which is really hard at the middle school level. She was very distraught the first time, but honestly, she has learned a WHOLE new set of skills that I don't think a lot of kids have anymore. How to adapt and stay positive! I'm very proud of her for being able to put herself out there, make new friends in every school and be personally responsible for her own educational experience.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:04 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout84 View Post
Non-magnet middle schools DO have band and orchestra. For example, Dillard Drive Middle has a terrific middle school band program (both my children went there and positively THRIVED due to the band program -- both also went on to band at Athens Drive; one is still there and one is onto NCSU).

As far as redistricting, it seems like the highest growth areas are the ones that get redistricted a lot. My kids have not been affected by any redistricting, however, my subdivision comes up every year recently to redistrict the elementary school. The affected parents in my subdivision have done a stellar job at keeping us at A.B. Combs, where there must be a half-dozen elementary schools that are closer (and we have to pass at least three directly on our way to get to AB Combs!).

Actually, to be fair, my kids have been affected by the number of friends that have been redistricted to other schools. We've used this as a "teachable moment" to encourage them to make new friends and find time and activities to see the old friends. They've met up with elementary school friends in middle or high school, and it's been actually a pretty positive experience when they meet up with their long-lost friends years later. We've learned that every school in Wake County has some very good things about it, and some not-so-stellar aspects, from the perspectives of both parents and students. We've learned that sometimes it sounds horrible to have to go somewhere new, but the process of change and the new avenues it opens up can be a blessing in disguise.
My son also went to Dillard Middle, the band was about the only thing good about that horrible school, at least after that new principle took over in 2002. I believe NChomesomeday was referring to elementary schools; no nonmagnet elementary schools offer band or orchestra, while most if not all middle schools offer both. As for the original question from the OP....Apex is certainly not immune to reassignments. For the 2006-2007 school year, the town was essentially cut in half, with all students east of hwy 55 going to Apex High, while west of 55 was reassigned to the new Panther Creek HS up in Cary/Morrisville...about 20 minutes away. Up until just 2 years ago Apex was the best place in wake county IMO and that is why we moved there after over 10 years all over Wake County. If you lived in Apex, for the most part, your kids went to Apex, Baucom, or Olive Chapel Elementary (all of which are actually schools IN Apex), Most middle schoolers went to Apex Middle, with some in the northeast side of town went to Lufkin, and pretty much all highschoolers went to Apex High. For 2005-2006, salem middle opened which was still in Apex so its not that big of a deal, but it did "split up" the kids from Apex Middle. But for 2006-2007, Holly Springs and Panther creek were opened as new high schools. The south side of Apex goes to Holly Springs High school (and middle school if I'm not mistaken). Basically one of the very charming things about being in Apex, the actual feeling of a TOWN because eveyrone who lived in that town went to school in the town...is gone now. And as is explained in another thread, the town council has just approved a MASSIVE development that will basically merge Apex with Holly springs, and decentralize the historic downtown. We left Apex and NC altogether this past summer to go back to Upstate NY, with the mess that WCPSS is being one of the major contributing factors.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:55 PM

132 posts, read 445,038 times
Are there certified art, gym teachers and librarians in the schools or do parent volunteers run a lot of the programs?

Old 01-15-2008, 07:50 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmow View Post
Are there certified art, gym teachers and librarians in the schools or do parent volunteers run a lot of the programs?
They are all qualified/certified teachers. Parents tend to run the PTA involved programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary