Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,399 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My family will be relocating to Durham once I secure a position. I have 10+ years experience as an IT Business Systems Analyst and most recently 1 year as a Project Manager.

In looking at possible positions, there is a clear distinction between the University and the Health side.

1. Looking for feedback on the pros and con's between the two

2. I do not have any Health IT experience. Do I still have a chance in getting a position working in that space, or do I have a major disadvantage?

Any feedback you could provide would greatly be appreciated.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 11:07 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,580,400 times
From my conversations with people who work for both entities, they are related in name only.

Hopefully your job search is broader than just Duke, there are plenty of IT jobs to be had across many business verticals.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:16 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,340,804 times
I had one IT stint in a hospital setting, and I would say to avoid that if at all possible. It was the worse IT job I ever had. Hospitals never shut down and never stop. There has never been a more 365/24/7 operation than a hospital. I'm sure some of them are managed correctly, but if it's like most IT departments (under funded, under manned) then prepare to be on call constantly.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:17 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,587,592 times
I wouldn't consider healthcare if I am in IT. Guess it depends if you just wanna manage outsourcing deals or you want to do actual IT work.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:53 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,349,164 times
Duke University Medical Center (DUMC) just changed over to an EPIC based record keeping system a few years ago, they call it Maestro Care, I read in Forbes it cost Duke $700 million for the new system (now that's the business to be in!).

I don't know if all of the bugs have been worked out yet. I'm sure there are some similar IT problems with both settings like not being able to connect to servers, WIFI being down, printers not working properly, etc.

I work for DUMC, but in research, and we're not in the hospital and have our own IT guys (2 of them) that are just for the building I work in. So technically you could be working for DUMC and not be in the hospital setting, since almost all of the research (and there's a ton at Duke) falls under DUMC.

Like you mentioned, DUMC and Duke University are separate but related entities.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:56 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,929,792 times
My husband works in IT for Duke Health. Their IT dept is called DHTS. If you work for the University side, then your dept is called OIT. Some systems are different, and the pay and benefits packages are different, but a lot of the IT stuff has overlap.

My husband has had people transfer to his group from OIT, and other people transfer out to OIT, doing essentially the same work. He has an OIT counterpart that he works with closely. People who transfer out to OIT often do it because they want the tuition benefit from being a University employee.

My husband's group does not deal with Maestro Care at all, but there is a whole team for that. For my husband's group, you would not need to know anything specific to healthcare. More regular IT stuff - I hear him talk about Sharepoint a lot. The above poster seems to be describing more helpdesk type positions, which is also not what my husband's group does, but would be similar for the OIT or DHTS side, but it didn't sound like that was what you were looking for anyway.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:15 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,349,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
The above poster seems to be describing more help desk type positions, which is also not what my husband's group does, but would be similar for the OIT or DHTS side, but it didn't sound like that was what you were looking for anyway.
Actually the two IT guys in my building have the title of Network Systems Analyst III. Yes, they are our defacto "help desk", but we also have our own network just for our building and all of our research.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:35 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,929,792 times
I am also in research, and we have a similar setup. We have a guy like that who helps us with out local network and systems. I consider him kind of a level up from "help desk" because the regular help desk people often don't really know much other than how to reset your password. But direct user support is still quite different than the kind of thing that my husband does.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:23 PM

147 posts, read 542,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBD View Post
Hello everyone,

My family will be relocating to Durham once I secure a position. I have 10+ years experience as an IT Business Systems Analyst and most recently 1 year as a Project Manager.

In looking at possible positions, there is a clear distinction between the University and the Health side.

1. Looking for feedback on the pros and con's between the two

2. I do not have any Health IT experience. Do I still have a chance in getting a position working in that space, or do I have a major disadvantage?

Any feedback you could provide would greatly be appreciated.

Cheers.
Hey, so first of all...IT is IT and Healthcare is Healthcare...If you were a IT Business Systems Analyst you more than likely spent a lot of your time working with some sort of SAP style software and worked with whatever business you worked for on fixing their specific needs. This could be anything from changing rules, policies, process, glossary...to literally writing code.

Now, IT with Healthcare is actually quite similar. My guess is that you would be working with the research facilities to solve any issues they may have "IT wise"...It really all depends on what kind of software they use as to what kind of issues you might run into. You might familiarize yourself with some of the following Healthcare Information Systems:
  • Meditech
  • Cerner
  • McKesson
  • Epic Systems
  • Siemens Healthcare
  • CPSI
  • Healthcare Management Systems
  • Healthland
  • Eclipsys
It sounds like Duke may have their own proprietary software (in which case you can't expected to know how to use it right away).

Some of the other users have mentioned not putting all your eggs into one basket. Here are some other companies you might consider which specialize is technology of some nature:

• IT Works - (1987) - Privately owned niche software development company. They specialize in automating the administration of universities, hospitals, and scientific research programs.
  • Red Hat - (1993) - Raleigh - Software company providing open-source software products to the enterprise community.
  • SageWorks - (1998) - Raleigh - Company providing financial analysis software.
  • Virtual Heroes Inc. - (2004) - Simulation & training industries.
  • Lulu.com - (2002) - Raleigh - Online Print-On-Demand, self-publishing and distribution platform.
  • Bandwidth.com - (1999) - Raleigh - Internet-based company that provides Internet and telephone service primarily to business and government users.
  • Quintiles, Inc. - (1982) - Fortune 500 Company and worlds largest provider of bio-pharmaceutical and commercial outsourcing services.
  • iContact LLC - (2003) - (Morrisville, NC) - Company that provides email marketing solutions.
  • UNC Chapel Hill - Open Positions | Human Resources | The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
  • Etix - (2000) - Morrisville, NC - international web-based ticketing service provider for the entertainment, travel and sports industries.
  • RTI International - (1958) - (Research Triangle) - Nonprofit organization that provides research and technical services.
  • SAS Institute - (1976) - (Cary, NC) - American developer of analytics software
  • NC State University - https://jobs.ncsu.edu/
  • Wake Forest University
I don't know, just a thought. I am moving there in less than two months so I know there is a lot out there.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:48 PM

5,899 posts, read 6,971,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiyoo View Post
  • Bandwidth.com - (1999) - Raleigh - Internet-based company that provides Internet and telephone service primarily to business and government users.
Bandwidth is also the company behind Republic Wireless, which is capturing market share in cellular.

Republic Wireless | Bandwidth

Clark's review of Republic Wireless | www.clarkhoward.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary