Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:47 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
So...I'm supposed to drive from Durham to Hillsborough tomorrow a.m. for an ice skating lesson and get there by around 6:40 a.m. (yeah you read that correctly, unfortunately).

Do you think I should cancel? It'll be totally dark out and I have no idea how the roads are from south square area to the sportsplex.

Grr the only reason I'm not already canceling is because I have a test in two weeks! Would kind of stink to run off the road though. Wouldn't be able to test anyway...
I will say this. The 15-501 bypass bridge going over business 15-501/chapel hill st is absolutely horrible in this kind of weather. Seems like there are numerous wrecks and secondary wrecks on it every time we get ice. Worth taking an alternate route to avoid it if that is your preferred route to hillsborough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 08:55 AM

403 posts, read 930,215 times
To prepare for snow or ice, please be sure to follow Triangle protocol:

1. Pay close attention to the local weather forcast...they're ALWAYS accurate
2. Head to your nearest grocery, and raid the bread and milk
3. If there is white on the ground, immediately spin your car in to a ditch
or follow too closely and ram someone in front of you

Old 01-16-2008, 09:04 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,662 times
Default I am sure the stores will be like a mob scene! LOL

Long Island was the same way...just the mention of a possibility of snow, the stores were like a zoo...It never made sense to me...I have been through minor storms and blizzards on Long Island and you were never "trapped for days" as people panic and think they will be. I looked forward to a day home and not worrying about going anywhere...the last big storm, I planned on painting the bathroom for the day...it was great...within a few hours of the storm winding down the roads were plowed and cleared...I have not experienced snowy/icy weather here in NC yet...as you all know, ice is more dangerous than snow...basically use common sense, if it's icy, stay put don't run out the door and get on the roads...I don't care how skilled you think you are...no one can drive on ice...I have driven on lots of snow in my 18 years of driving, some trips taking 3 hours to get home when my normal time would be 45 minutes, but I would never venture out on ice. Stay safe all

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by autumngal; 01-16-2008 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: mod cut orphaned quote

Old 01-16-2008, 12:32 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
Ok total stupid question:

If the weather is bad, do businesses expect their employees? For example, do the people at Merck get the day off? My first thought is NO, but maybe yes?....

Old 01-16-2008, 12:34 PM

932 posts, read 1,274,075 times
really depends on the company. some companies will announce closings on TV and radio, some have a special number you can call to find out. generally speaking ( as a former HR manager) if the business is open, employees are expected to be there. You can take off, but would have to use your sick/vacation days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Ok total stupid question:

If the weather is bad, do businesses expect their employees? For example, do the people at Merck get the day off? My first thought is NO, but maybe yes?....

Old 01-16-2008, 12:40 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
One thing I've learned- after watching weather reports here for the last 30 years...is that when they try to make it sound like it wont be bad, but they 'don't know'....expect it to be worse than they say! lol
So true! I saw one report predicting 1" - 2" of snow in Charlotte so I'm expecting a cold rain.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:55 PM

754 posts, read 1,693,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
To prepare for snow or ice, please be sure to follow Triangle protocol:

1. Pay close attention to the local weather forcast...they're ALWAYS accurate
2. Head to your nearest grocery, and raid the bread and milk
3. If there is white on the ground, immediately spin your car in to a ditch
or follow too closely and ram someone in front of you
4. Drive 15 mph on 40 or 147 with flashers on and back traffic up for miles. Then crash anyway.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:19 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times
I think someone mentioned this tip before but I'll say again:

When there is ice on a road like say, 15-501 business at 8:30am in the morning, drive really fast in a SUV passing another SUV in-turn making the second SUV almost loose control by spinning out slightly. But before you do that you have to totally ignore the red 1985 Cadillac sitting in the median that just spun out. Make sure you do your part!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:29 PM

757 posts, read 2,083,633 times
Red face freezing Rain

I moved here from Asheville 3 years ago and laughed when people wouldn't drive in the snow here....until I ventured out after I moved here and slipped on ice and almost hit an expensive BMW in Chapel Hill. If it's ice, I'm not taking my chances. I live 35 miles from work and leave my house at 5:00 AM. I have to be at work no matter what the road condition is like (I'm an ICU nurse), so I'm staying in a hotel tonight near the hospital so that I can be sure to make it to work without my car insurance going sky high! I know that sounds weird, but you can't come in late at the hospital.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:35 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,386,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
I know that sounds weird, but you can't come in late at the hospital.
That doesn't sound weird at all. Thank you so much for doing the work you do and for putting up with the inconvenience of being in a hotel in order to be at work tomorrow. Your effort is greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary