Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 08:22 PM

565 posts, read 723,045 times

Advertisements

My husband has a potential job offer in Cary. We have two kiddos, 2 and a newborn. We currently live in the NYC suburbs, but are originally from Dallas (I lived in the city of Dallas, my husband lived in the suburbs until we married), so we are used to both urban/suburban environments.

I guess our budget for a house would be in the $400,00-$500,000 range for a 4 bedroom. I've just started looking at Zillow and it looks like property taxes are super cheap in that price range--under $5000 a year. Is that accurate or am I missing something?

Also, we're looking for a young family-friendly environment. I know we won't be able to replicate what we have here in our particular neighborhood (super family friendly, tons of classes for kids, tons of mommy groups, babies are welcome and common in most bars/pubs/restaurants until 7 or so pm), but what is Cary like for families? How do people meet other moms or families with similar aged kids?

I also work for the school district here and have worked in education for 11 years in two states (I'm a school librarian). How's the job market for the schools there? Does each school have it's own librarian?

If my husband's job is in Cary itself (it looks like Northern Cary, just a mile or so south of 40) is there any reason to look in other neighborhoods/cities/suburbs?

What are typical childcare/daycare costs like in Cary?

Are there any particular neighborhoods known for families with younger kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 09:12 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,154,614 times
You have the taxes figured out.
About 0.99 mills, and Cary has about the lowest city tax rate in Wake County.
A home with a $500,000 tax value will have a tax bill just under $5000.
But, tax value is only very loosely linked to market value. We will be re-assessed for 2016, and values will change significantly. Rates will also change. Values will go up. Rates will come down, and the result is that taxes will go up a couple of hundred dollars for most everyone.

The "knock" on Cary is that it is such a family-focused suburb.

While you should know the Raleigh-Cary area and be satisfied you are making a good choice, your post says that Cary has what you are looking for.
And, you should be able to find something with good schools, neighborhood pool and playground, modern construction, and less than a 15 minute commute so Dad can even come home for lunch sometimes.

Neighborhood choices will also be dictated on what that 4 bedroom house looks like. Is it new construction, 3 years old, 10 years old, or 30 years old? Large neighborhood, or smaller neighborhood.

www.wcpss.net is the Wake County Schools site, and all public schools fall under county management. So, that is a starting point for jobs information.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:01 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,171,909 times
Schools are poorly paid with lousy benefits except retirement. All are run by the state which does not value their employees.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:10 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
We moved here from LI 5 years ago.

The entire area is family friendly and for the most part suburban...even the "cities" are 90% suburban-like. I'm not sure why you're thinking a suburban area won't have mommy groups, family friendly restaurants, etc, - that's a very strange assumption, and completely wrong.

The schools that my kids have attended here are hands down more competitive than our LI school district (regularly state and nationally ranked). Saturfan is our resident malcontent, a transplant himself who doesn't want anyone else moving here. Click on his name to see his posts. He is correct however, that school worker pay is low - you will take a huge pay cut if you are making a typical NY area salary as a school librarian.

Last edited by twingles; 08-13-2015 at 05:19 AM..

Old 08-13-2015, 05:26 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Wake County teacher salaries:

WCPSS: Teacher Salary Schedules

Old 08-13-2015, 06:07 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
We moved here from LI 5 years ago.

The entire area is family friendly and for the most part suburban...even the "cities" are 90% suburban-like. I'm not sure why you're thinking a suburban area won't have mommy groups, family friendly restaurants, etc, - that's a very strange assumption, and completely wrong.

The schools that my kids have attended here are hands down more competitive than our LI school district (regularly state and nationally ranked). Saturfan is our resident malcontent, a transplant himself who doesn't want anyone else moving here. Click on his name to see his posts. He is correct however, that school worker pay is low - you will take a huge pay cut if you are making a typical NY area salary as a school librarian.
So why am I a malcontent? I moved here in 1989 from New Orleans which is about as low as you can go.

Just trying to replace media puffing about this area with reality. For many folks, there are better places to live without a rotten legislature that robs the middle class to let the rich and corporations feast.

Don't kill the messenger for bringing the truth.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:25 AM

9,146 posts, read 14,773,090 times
You're not bringing reality, you're constantly parroting made up ramblings akin to the two curmudgeons on the Muppet Show.

To the OP, As far as not duplicating what you have now, you literally described Cary, Morrisville and Apex ( and Holly Springs and Fuquay to some extent) so I imagine you'll be fine here. It's not NYC though, more spread out. Unless by NYC suburbs you mean Long Island.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:34 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,578,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
My husband has a potential job offer in Cary. We have two kiddos, 2 and a newborn. We currently live in the NYC suburbs, but are originally from Dallas (I lived in the city of Dallas, my husband lived in the suburbs until we married), so we are used to both urban/suburban environments.

I guess our budget for a house would be in the $400,00-$500,000 range for a 4 bedroom. I've just started looking at Zillow and it looks like property taxes are super cheap in that price range--under $5000 a year. Is that accurate or am I missing something?

Also, we're looking for a young family-friendly environment. I know we won't be able to replicate what we have here in our particular neighborhood (super family friendly, tons of classes for kids, tons of mommy groups, babies are welcome and common in most bars/pubs/restaurants until 7 or so pm), but what is Cary like for families? How do people meet other moms or families with similar aged kids?

I also work for the school district here and have worked in education for 11 years in two states (I'm a school librarian). How's the job market for the schools there? Does each school have it's own librarian?

If my husband's job is in Cary itself (it looks like Northern Cary, just a mile or so south of 40) is there any reason to look in other neighborhoods/cities/suburbs?

First, unlike your NYC suburb, a high percentage of your neighbors will also be transplants which helps encourage social networking (most of your neighbors will either be recent or settled transplants and eager to connect).

Second, your children will drive your social life initially which is a very good thing (people tend to align and get along better when their children are going through similar stages).

Third, while I would never compare the range of offerings here in the Triangle to any part of NYC, there's no shortage of groups, classes, etc. for you to indulge in.

Lastly, while school salaries are generally low and North Carolina isn't considered a great place to be an educator, it will generally work quite well as part of a dual-income arrangement. Plus, if you enjoy the work you'll still enjoy it here.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:59 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post

Why don't you think you could duplicate that? You just described every affluent suburb in the United States.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:40 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
So why am I a malcontent? I moved here in 1989 from New Orleans which is about as low as you can go.

Just trying to replace media puffing about this area with reality. For many folks, there are better places to live without a rotten legislature that robs the middle class to let the rich and corporations feast.

Don't kill the messenger for bringing the truth.
I believe the OP said her husband has a job offer here? How do you know he hasn't been out of work for 3 years and they are desperate for any job anywhere? You don't. You just assume. We all know what happens when you ASSUME.

You've been harping on transplants since before I moved here - and you've upped the rhetoric considerably to scare people (not all of whom may share your political views by the way).

Funny how despite your trash talk about this area your kids have settled here and started families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary