Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,436 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I had planned to sublet my room in a rented house for 2.5 months. Although my original lease states no subletting, I received written permission from the landlord to do so.

After a skype video tour, the subtenant signed, scanned, and emailed a sublease contract with me several weeks ago (no security deposit, rent due on the first day of the leasing period). I signed it, scanned it, and emailed it back to her.

The sublease is to start in six days. She visited briefly yesterday to see the space, said it was great, and left. 30 minutes later, she emails to say that "the atmosphere just doesn't sit right with her" and that she'll be breaking our lease. (But she still wants to buy my bed set, for which she signed a separate contract--so presumably she just found a place she liked better.)

What are my rights in this case? Everything I've read suggests that I should:

> Notify her (via email plus certified mail to her previous mailing address) to inform her that she will be responsible for rent until I can find a new subtenant,

> List the room for a new subtenant,

> Document all these communications and listings, and

> File for the lost rent plus damages in Small Claims Court.

I'm not trying to squeeze money out of her; I had budgeted this money for my move. I'm leaving the state this weekend, and my understanding is that--with a signed contract and supporting documentation--the statute of limitations to file in Small Claims Court is three years.

If anyone can confirm or advise, I would be incredibly grateful. Thank you in advance for your time.

Last edited by nc12345; 05-12-2015 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 12:28 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,210,307 times
In practical terms, you don't really have any recourse. Chances are, the contract you made is unenforceable. Even if everything is air tight, the stakes are too small. Given that she has neither paid a deposit nor rent, nor taken possession of the rental, I'm not sure you technically had a lease.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:31 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
State Landlord Tenant Laws

Old 05-13-2015, 08:02 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
In practical terms, you don't really have any recourse. Chances are, the contract you made is unenforceable. Even if everything is air tight, the stakes are too small. Given that she has neither paid a deposit nor rent, nor taken possession of the rental, I'm not sure you technically had a lease.
I agree. This should also go to the Renting forum. Someone there is bound to have more info.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:28 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
I agree that there's probably not much of a cheap and practical remedy available, but I don't believe it can be said [based on what little we know] that the contract is "unenforceable" or that there isn't "technically ... a lease."

Old 05-13-2015, 02:01 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Why don't you offer her a cancellation for a reasonable fee. Since you're leaving the state, pursuing any recovery sounds difficult.

She could just try to get continuances if you filed a legal proceeding and wear you out.

Think of it this way. If she destroyed the property or flaked out on the rent, guess who is still on the hook? (look in the mirror). You might try to see if the landlord will release you if they find a new tenant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary