Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,772 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am currently renting a room from a girl who solely leased our second floor 3 bedroom apartment and the 2 bedroom apartment on the first floor. There is a basement apartment separately leased as well. What are my rights? She will not allow me to contact the landlord ("only she can") and after weeks of badgering has still not given me a copy of the lease. The couple renting the apartment below notes they had the same issue with getting a copy of the lease and were eventually only given the one page pertaining to their apartment with all the financial amounts whited out. I would like to know the total rent she is paying to make sure she is not overcharging us. While I know it could be wrong, Zillow states the estimated rent would be $3,200 for the entire house, and as the basement renters stated they pay $1,700, I'm paying $700, the other roommate on the 2nd floor $800, and the first floor renters are paying $1700, I am at a loss for what the main tenant could be paying. Please let me know what my rights are (can I contact the landlord? Can I have a copy of the lease without anything whited out, etc) THANK YOU!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 02:17 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me that you are not entitled to a copy of the lease between her and the landlord. What she pays is none of your business.

What I would be more concerned about is her legal ability under that lease to sublet. Most leases specifically prohibit subletting.

Further, since there are three apartments in the house (one being in the basement) the rental is clearly illegal under any town code on Long Island, so there's a good chance the town will find out and you all would have to move.

I think you are focusing on the wrong thing. If I were you I'd look for a new place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island