Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 12:08 PM

360 posts, read 518,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Where is intent indicated in that sentence? What does "backing into him" mean? How fast was she going when backing up? How was the officer struck?

As I said, I don't know the facts, just the news blurb. I'd be happy consider more information.

But, again, I am expressing what I want for policing in my community - not a broad national debate about police tactics.
I have no first hand knowledge, but it must be difficult to be a police officer. I personally would prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I think it's easy to criticize, but what would you have done? Avoided chasing the suspect? What if that person struck and killed an innocent person 10 minutes later? Then someone else would criticize the officer for allowing the suspect to get away. In this case, seems like this person can't win. I say, give them a break, move on... nothing to see here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 12:32 PM

9,369 posts, read 14,197,589 times
The response was entirely appropriate and showed excellent restraint on the part of the officer.

What, someone is questioning that the officer is doing what he was hired to do, trained to do, and has publically sworn to do????????

Old 05-19-2015, 12:37 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,979,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
What, someone is questioning that the officer is doing what he was hired to do, trained to do, and has publically sworn to do????????
What's wrong with thinking about the kind of policing we want in our community? Is there some reason we shouldn't use these types of situations to think about these topics and ask questions - whether the outcome is to confirm current approaches or perhaps change them? We don't have a lot of police shootings in Chapel Hill, thankfully. So when one does occur, it seems fair to me for residents to ask if the approach taken was the right thing for our community. I don't get the fear of inquiry.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherTransplant View Post
I think it's easy to criticize, but what would you have done?
By the way, no where have I criticized (except maybe my reference to the Yates Motor raid).

Old 05-19-2015, 01:04 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,686,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The response was entirely appropriate and showed excellent restraint on the part of the officer.

^ This.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:08 PM

386 posts, read 607,579 times
Quote:
By the way, no where have I criticized (except maybe my reference to the Yates Motor raid).
I think with the political climate and all the questioning from the general public/media over police tactics, your original post was taken as you being suspicious about what the police did/didn't do.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:11 PM

360 posts, read 518,403 times
Quote:
You may be entirely right - this certainly isn't the most egregious set of circumstances involving a police shooting.

For me it's about the style of policing I want in my community. If this isn't a life or death situation (and again, I admit I don't know all the facts) I'm not certain that it warrants a use of weapons to bring an immediate resolution to the situation, as opposed to pursuing the suspect through other police methods and resources.
My concern is that if you don't pursue the suspect they may be a danger to the community until you're able to apprehend them by other means.

I suppose you could argue you aren't criticizing the actions of the police but you are certainly calling them into question. I'm still not sure why. This seems pretty routine. But do I watch too many cop tv shows?

Old 05-19-2015, 01:23 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,637,958 times
Quote:
My concern is that if you don't pursue the suspect they may be a danger to the community until you're able to apprehend them by other means.
I guess this really depends on who they're chasing. If they're chasing a violent criminal then I agree, but if the police are pulling over a speeder who then takes off it would probably be better to let them go and arrest them later. They will already have their plate number and most likely a description. I think in a lot of these cases initiating a chase is more of a danger to the community.

When I first read this thread I didn't know the car was stolen. It sounded like the person was being pulled over for a moving violation and then fled. Since the car was stolen I agree the police were right to chase the suspect.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I suppose you could argue you aren't criticizing the actions of the police but you are certainly calling them into question. I'm still not sure why.
Because I want our community to think about these questions and make reasonable decisions in a non-inflammatory context. How many times a year do Chapel Hill police officers discharge their firearm (I've learned some don't like the term "shooting" )? Not many. So when there is such an event, it's a great opportunity for the community to look at it and ask - is this the type of situation in which we want our police officers using their weapons? If not, what are the alternatives? What are the pro and cons of each approach? What risks do different policing approaches entail?

We got a one paragraph news blurb from the town. For me, it's not enough to declare that one approach or another is the right one. But it's enough to raise questions.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:36 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,551,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Someone attempting to run him down with her car isn't a life or death situation?
this

I can't believe anyone is actually questioning this. If the driver had been able to speed off and killed an innocent motorist or pedestrian, then this narrative would have ended much differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary