Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 01:49 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,950,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
I can't believe anyone is actually questioning this.
I must have missed this fact - where is the report that the the driver attempted to run down the police officer? Again, the town report said only the driver "struck the officer with her vehicle by backing into him."

There are a lot of details missing, including what the driver's intent was when the officer was struck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 02:07 PM

360 posts, read 517,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Because I want our community to think about these questions and make reasonable decisions in a non-inflammatory context. How many times a year do Chapel Hill police officers discharge their firearm (I've learned some don't like the term "shooting" )? Not many. So when there is such an event, it's a great opportunity for the community to look at it and ask - is this the type of situation in which we want our police officers using their weapons? If not, what are the alternatives? What are the pro and cons of each approach? What risks do different policing approaches entail?

We got a one paragraph news blurb from the town. For me, it's not enough to declare that one approach or another is the right one. But it's enough to raise questions.

My original point was that the term "police shooting" brings to mind images of a person getting shot, whereas (convention decided by the media?) a "discharged firearm" often means something different.

I have no problem with the term shooting, but I was trying to help you understand why some people might be confused.

Last edited by YetAnotherTransplant; 05-19-2015 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: violated TOS

Old 05-19-2015, 02:19 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,232,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Where is intent indicated in that sentence? What does "backing into him" mean? How fast was she going when backing up? How was the officer struck?

As I said, I don't know the facts, just the news blurb. I'd be happy consider more information.

But, again, I am expressing what I want for policing in my community - not a broad national debate about police tactics.
I think your title says it all

Old 05-19-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherTransplant View Post
My original point was that the term "police shooting" brings to mind images of a person getting shot, whereas (convention decided by the media?) a "discharged firearm" often means something different.

I have no problem with the term shooting, but I was trying to help you understand why some people might be confused.
That's fair - I think most people start with the assumption that a shooting involves a person, and I could have given more thought to my original thread title which used that term.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:26 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,232,569 times
where's the orange county mugshot of this sweet little old lady?

Old 05-19-2015, 02:29 PM

43,324 posts, read 77,177,570 times
I look forward to more news on this.

So, let's say the shot didn't hit the tire or car? How far could it travel and where would it land?

But, benefit of the doubt to the cop until more information is released. Right now, we are all guessing and ass-u-me-ing.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I look forward to more news on this.

So, let's say the shot didn't hit the tire or car? How far could it travel and where would it land?
Apparently it was 3 shots.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
where's the orange county mugshot of this sweet little old lady?

Old 05-19-2015, 03:02 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,351,962 times
New and Updated news release:

Quote:
Suspect Charged After Attempt to Elude Police
Post Date:05/18/2015 4:26 PM
UPDATED 5/19/2015

Joanne Kay Hall
Joanne Kay Hall
Today (May 18) at approximately 2:35 p.m., Chapel Hill Police Officer Drew Cabe attempted to stop a vehicle for speeding. The driver, Joanne Kay Hall (50), fled from the officer and a pursuit ensued. A short time later, the vehicle stopped in traffic near the intersection of US 15-501 and Manning Drive. The officer got out of his vehicle and, while approaching the suspect vehicle, Hall intentionally struck the officer with her vehicle. The officer fired three shots at the vehicle which deflated the left rear tire. Hall fled the scene again and stopped a short time later. She was taken into custody without further incident. No one was injured during the incident.
Chief Blue said, “This incident highlights how quickly a seemingly routine encounter can turn into something possibly deadly. I am glad that neither the officer nor Ms. Hall was harmed in this encounter.”

Hall, of Meriwither Drive, Durham, was charged with 1 felony count each of Speeding to Elude Arrest, Assault with a Deadly Weapon with Intent to Kill on a Governmental Officer, Hit & Run, and Possession of a Stolen Vehicle. Additionally, the suspect was charged with 1 misdemeanor count each of resisting arrest, driving while license revoked, speeding, careless and reckless driving, and failure to yield to blue lights/siren. She is being held in the Orange County Jail under a $31,500 bond. She will have a first appearance in court tomorrow at 2 p.m.

Pursuant to departmental policy, the Chapel Hill Police Department is conducting an administrative internal investigation into the incident. Officer Cabe will be placed on administrative duty until the administrative investigation is completed.

Media Note: This continues to be a personnel issue and pursuant to North Carolina State Law, information beyond clarifying what is in this news release will not be released at this time.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:12 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,351,962 times

I'm feeling okay about this. And I don't think the Yates Motor Co thing was as big of a deal as folks made it out to be. It was a display of force that was overkill, but nothing really happened. The folks who were "occupying" that bldg had no right to be there, either, and I say that as someone who is friends with at least one of those people or a sympathizer. I have had nothing but positive interactions with the CHPD. They've been basically Sheriff Taylor and Deputy Fife when we've needed their help — nothing but kind and patient. I don't doubt that white privilege could play a role in that (I'm white), but overall I think shooting the tire of someone who just intentionally hit you with her car is okay. Maybe there's a better way to handle it, but I think she's pretty lucky that it was the CHPD that she tangled with. Officers on other police forces might not have been so nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary