Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 09:26 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

OP? This was the sort of potential home I was referring to:

realtor.com

Old 06-09-2015, 09:30 AM

Or this one. Less updates, but has the schools with the highest ratings in Cary. realtor.com

Old 06-09-2015, 09:32 AM

This one is in Preston. I don't know if you like golf, though.

Needs some interior cosmetic updates, but looks like they updated all the big-ticket stuff already.

realtor.com

Last edited by RedZin; 06-09-2015 at 10:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 09:38 AM

9,776 posts, read 15,781,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Slightly off topic, but I could refer you to the professional I work with whose son attends Northern; the young man I know who attended Hillside's IB program and went to Yale; or the young man, a cousin of a colleague of mine, who graduated Hillside a few years back and was accepted to Harvard as a student-athlete.

Are Hillside and Northern more challenged than other schools in the region? Yes. Does that mean that the schools are "horrible" in the style of the true urban inner-city schools you hear about in high-poverty areas of the northeast and midwest? No.
Yes, those schools are horrible - not just "more challenged," North Carolina is not immune to high-poverty, unsafe, horrible schools. BTW, I can also tell you about some outstanding people with great credentials who came from horrible schools up north. It does not mean that those schools are quite good or even just more challenged. And I responded because I wanted the OP to be clear that the Triangle's worst schools are not quite good. That is simply not true. Those schools I named along with several others in the Triangle range from bad to horrible.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:48 AM

56 posts, read 62,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Or this one. Less updates, but has the schools with the highest ratings in Cary. realtor.com

Thanks RedZin! This is the one that stood out and I actually like the most. Ill have to specifically ask to look around that area. I cant do anything right now as I still have 5 months until I have to move there, but I have to accept the offer in the next 30 days or its off the table. I'm scheduled to go down there end of the month.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Yes, those schools are horrible - not just "more challenged," North Carolina is not immune to high-poverty, unsafe, horrible schools. BTW, I can also tell you about some outstanding people with great credentials who came from horrible schools up north. It does not mean that those schools are quite good or even just more challenged. And I responded because I wanted the OP to be clear that the Triangle's worst schools are not quite good. That is simply not true. Those schools I named along with several others in the Triangle range from bad to horrible.
Do you have a list of the "bad to horrible" schools in Wake County so we can examine those closer and help the OP avoid them?

Old 06-09-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbucci24 View Post
Thanks RedZin! This is the one that stood out and I actually like the most. Ill have to specifically ask to look around that area. I cant do anything right now as I still have 5 months until I have to move there, but I have to accept the offer in the next 30 days or its off the table. I'm scheduled to go down there end of the month.
Come down and take a look. There are homes to be had in nice areas for a lower budget, and choosing one with good schools and low crime in a family-oriented area will aid you in the future if you want to sell and buy a larger home as your family grows.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:16 AM

9,776 posts, read 15,781,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Do you have a list of the "bad to horrible" schools in Wake County so we can examine those closer and help the OP avoid them?
I don't have a list of schools but a quick glance examining metrics such as test scores, violence rates, college/career readiness, I can surmise that East Wake School of Arts, East Wake School of Engingeering, and East Wake School of Integrated Technology would fit the bill as at least "bad" - they certainly wouldn't be considered "quite good." These schools have violence/crime rates that are twice the state average, SAT scores at 100-200 points below the national and state average with very low participation rates, state test scores that are below the state level, and fewer than half of students in each of those schools are considered college/career ready.*

Look, many threads on here from people up north looking to move down here get met with comments of how the Triangle isn't the land of milk and honey and for them to do their due diligence. Taxes are generally lower, there are fewer township-run schools and less local government, and the area is greatly suburban. Those traits bring with it both pros and its cons. Yes, there is no large inner-city urban core here and the problems that go along with it, but most people moving down here from up north aren't coming from the inner city either.

In any case, the Triangle has high-crime areas and low-crime areas. There are schools here that have good performance records and schools that have bad ones. There are high-income areas and low-income areas. There are high end towns and places you wouldn't step foot into after dark, just like everywhere else. So to pretend that ALL of the schools in the Triangle are quite good does a disservice to those who are unfamiliar with the area and ends up bringing people here with false ideas.

*Information from NC School Report Cards https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.c...C+Report+Cards
and SAT Scores:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...at-scores.html

Old 06-09-2015, 12:01 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Quote:
I don't have a list of schools but a quick glance examining metrics such as test scores, violence rates, college/career readiness, I can surmise that East Wake School of Arts, East Wake School of Engingeering, and East Wake School of Integrated Technology would fit the bill as at least "bad" - they certainly wouldn't be considered "quite good." These schools have violence/crime rates that are twice the state average, SAT scores at 100-200 points below the national and state average with very low participation rates, state test scores that are below the state level, and fewer than half of students in each of those schools are considered college/career ready.*

Look, many threads on here from people up north looking to move down here get met with comments of how the Triangle isn't the land of milk and honey and for them to do their due diligence. Taxes are generally lower, there are fewer township-run schools and less local government, and the area is greatly suburban. Those traits bring with it both pros and its cons. Yes, there is no large inner-city urban core here and the problems that go along with it, but most people moving down here from up north aren't coming from the inner city either.

In any case, the Triangle has high-crime areas and low-crime areas. There are schools here that have good performance records and schools that have bad ones. There are high-income areas and low-income areas. There are high end towns and places you wouldn't step foot into after dark, just like everywhere else. So to pretend that ALL of the schools in the Triangle are quite good does a disservice to those who are unfamiliar with the area and ends up bringing people here with false ideas.

*Information from NC School Report Cards https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.c...C+Report+Cards
and SAT Scores:
Yup. great analysis.

Decent but not what the media touts it to be. Maybe the homebuilder and realty associations buy a lot of ads.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:

and SAT Scores:
The area that is "East Wake" is quite rural. The OP hasn't indicated any interest in East Wake (Zebulon/Wendell area) and it's really quite far from where he said he wanted to be.

The schools where he's indicated interest in moving are all pretty good schools. Some of them are exceptional schools.

Anyway, I'm not trying to fool him and I don't actually care who moves here or who doesn't. I just recommended a house in Park Village with the DDES/DDMS/GHHS "trifecta of schooling perfection" (TM) because he seems to be looking pretty much for that or something similar.

You've seen me posting here long enough to know that I'm no cheerleader for people moving here thinking it'll be just like the place they left. No way in hell would I do that because I know better. I think most of my post in this topic would indicate that I have indeed warned the OP that this area isn't the same and doesn't have the type of township/borough setup that he's got in Pittsburgh.

If he'd been asking me if he could get the best schools in Wake moving out to Wendell, my advice might have differed, but he's not even sniffing around anything further east than Garner, so my advice that pretty much all the schools will be good still stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary