Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 02:44 PM

812 posts, read 832,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
What does wealth have to do with parental involvement in their child's education? I'm very interested in hearing about these advantages you speak of. And before you say less well-off people are working more and don't have as much time to spend on their child's education, think about all the dual income families with both parents working 40+ hours a week.
I never mentioned anything about parental involvement. I just stated that socioeconomic status and educational attainment of the parents have a HUGE impact on student achievement. This is because wealthier students enjoy more advantages, or maybe I should say, experience fewer disadvantages, than their less well-off peers. Wealthier parents may or may not be more involved with their children… I don’t know?

What I do know is that for whatever reasons, family wealth is strongly correlated with student scholastic achievement (as measured with standardized tests).

“The relationship between family socioeconomic characteristics and student achievement is one of the most robust patterns in educational scholarship, yet the causes and mechanisms of this relationship have been the subject of considerable disagreement and debate” –Reardon, 2011 https://cepa.stanford.edu/sites/defa...hapter%205.pdf

Possible reasons
1. Lack of health/dental care leads to illness and absenteeism Want To Make A School Better? Get Kids To Show Up : NPR Ed : NPR
2. Stresses unique to the working poor (lack of reliable transport, unsafe and loud neighborhoods, frequent relocation etc.) lead to physiological changes in the brains of children raised in poverty. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ed-test-scores
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 03:57 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I'm finding this Weatherstone story verrrry hard to believe, but I guess time will tell. For starters it would be highly unusual for a 1st grader not to be sitting in the first couple rows of a bus. Second, you're talking about an extremely diverse area, but this kid was singled out? Hmmmmm.....

I'm also finding the force feeding of non-halal food story very suspicious. I've been in a cafeteria full of first graders and they are watched like hawks. An inner city school? Maybe. But Weatherstone, doubtful.

I will ask my Weatherstone friend this weekend.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:37 PM

360 posts, read 400,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'm finding this Weatherstone story verrrry hard to believe, but I guess time will tell. For starters it would be highly unusual for a 1st grader not to be sitting in the first couple rows of a bus. Second, you're talking about an extremely diverse area, but this kid was singled out? Hmmmmm.....

I'm also finding the force feeding of non-halal food story very suspicious. I've been in a cafeteria full of first graders and they are watched like hawks. An inner city school? Maybe. But Weatherstone, doubtful.

I will ask my Weatherstone friend this weekend.
Boy's father has a respectable job and I think he's a PhD. I doubt he would go to an extent of sending his entire family packing to his native place if he wasn't seriously concerned about their well being. I can't imagine how it might be like for this family with today's rhetoric.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:56 PM

61 posts, read 54,774 times
In case you haven't seen the latest update on the Weatherstone story:

No evidence found Muslim child was attacked on Wake County school bus | News & Observer

Based on some of the other news stories also out there, it sounds like the family was already planning on leaving the school when whatever happened last week. His Facebook page also has multiple posts critical of Trump so it's possible there's political motivations for his allegations.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:04 PM

360 posts, read 400,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRaleighite View Post
In case you haven't seen the latest update on the Weatherstone story:

No evidence found Muslim child was attacked on Wake County school bus | News & Observer

Based on some of the other news stories also out there, it sounds like the family was already planning on leaving the school when whatever happened last week. His Facebook page also has multiple posts critical of Trump so it's possible there's political motivations for his allegations.
It's very unfortunate then. From his wikipedia page he looked pretty well educated. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeeshan-ul-Hassan_Usmani

Old 10-14-2016, 08:59 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
My gosh, that whole story is so suspicious. No one can corraborate the boy's story? He was punched in the face, and they were beating him all the way from school to home, yet the boy looks perfectly fine in the photo minus his arm being in a sling? These were 6 and 7 year-olds putting down Islam and Pakistan? And within days the family has traveled back to their home country? Didn't they need to pack up? Give notice at a job? Something is very fishy about this.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:21 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
lol. I'm a dual income couple kids.
lol

Old 10-15-2016, 01:27 AM

I find it hard to believe that a PhD whose reputation looks pretty solid made up a story about his child getting bullied on a school bus for being Muslim and/or refusing to eat food that wasn't halal.

When I rode the bus as a kid, I saw people regularly get bullied for far less. You can breathe wrong on a school bus and open yourself up to bullying.

Also, plenty of kids fear bullies and won't speak against them.

Who knows? None of us were there.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:56 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
My gosh, that whole story is so suspicious. No one can corraborate the boy's story? He was punched in the face, and they were beating him all the way from school to home, yet the boy looks perfectly fine in the photo minus his arm being in a sling? These were 6 and 7 year-olds putting down Islam and Pakistan? And within days the family has traveled back to their home country? Didn't they need to pack up? Give notice at a job? Something is very fishy about this.
Yeah, I'm not getting what being well educated has to do with any of this. The whole story makes zero sense and is entirely implausible. I spent an entire year working in my DD's first grade class and eating lunch with her. No one is having food forced down their throat at Weatherstone without someone noticing. A teacher, TA, another parent. Schools in West Cary (and obviously neighborhoods) are filled with people of different colors, religions, and dress. I'm not buying this at all....and the school says they can't corroborate anything that happened, so I guess we are all to believe that all of these CHILDREN are hardened criminals who are in cahoots with the bus driver and the school to employ a giant coverup of ONE CHILD out of hundreds just like him who are being discriminated against. My guess is "we can't confirm these allegations" is code for "this guy is an ongoing thorn in our side and we are more than happy he's going back to Pakistan".

RedZin, you are close to my age, you know as well as I do that the kind of bullying that was tolerated in our day doesn't come close to happening these days. This kid was beaten all the from school to home by a bunch of 6 and 7 year olds? Come on.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:23 PM

Yeah, I do hear ya, twingles. I just feel like SOMETHING must have happened. Whether or not it was as extreme as described is another matter entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary