Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 04:45 PM

56 posts, read 98,922 times

Advertisements

please does anyone know where we can buy cornmeal for our lawn.
it is so ugly, the clay soil is not helping at all, water is not draining well so fungi and mold have taken over my lawn.
I hear people say apply lime to the soil. should i just squeeze the lime on the soil to help break the clay???
pls help my lawn is a disaster. last yr we bought heat tolerant blue, but now it is all brown.
pls any help will be apprecaited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 04:50 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeforest4sure View Post
it is so ugly, the clay soil is not helping at all, water is not draining well so fungi and mold have taken over my lawn.
I hear people say apply lime to the soil. should i just squeeze the lime on the soil to help break the clay???
pls help my lawn is a disaster. last yr we bought heat tolerant blue, but now it is all brown.
You can purchase lime pellets at any home improvement store or hardware store with a garden center. It's very easy to apply and will saturate into the soil with rain. It simply adjusts the pH of the soil, it doesn't actually break anything down. If drainage is a problem, you may need to address that first. You can also have a lawn care company come and spray your lawn with fungicide for a fee.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:41 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Quote:
If you are going to squeeze lime on your yard invite me over and I will bring a lawn chair and some sweet tea so I can watch. I will even squeeze two for you because it will be all day task.

As prior poster stated you can buy lime pellets. You should test your soil PH level to see how much if any you will need. YOu dont want to over lime the yard as it can burn your grass. and when it a good time to do this.

Go by your local Agriculture Extension office and they can give you good recommindations. This is from the state agriculture office it is pdf file , the font is small IMO so you may need to zoom in a little
http://www.ncagr.com/agronomi/pdffiles/stnote4.pdf

Old 04-08-2008, 05:42 PM

56 posts, read 98,922 times
thanks I will go look for the lime pellets. and put it down before rain. anyone know about the cornmeal?

Old 04-08-2008, 06:33 PM

The only place I have ever seen cornmeal is the grocery store. I read online that it is the same cornmeal as in a grocery store but can be purchased cheaper and in larger portions at a farm/feed store. Unfortunately I have no idea where one of those is around here! Maybe you could just try a small thing of cornmeal from the grocery store on one patch and see if it works before tracking it down in bulk. Another off the wall place to look for it might be in a Mexican grocery store. I've seen it before in larger bags (larger than Harris Teeter) and it's cheaper.
I'm glad you posted about the cornmeal, though. I will have to remember that!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:40 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
I am trying to go organic as well with the lawn care. I haven't located a place yet, but you need to find a feed supply place that sells to the General Public Like Souther States or Agri-Supply. I think there is a souther states in Louisburg. I'm still researching this. I will pass along any info that I find.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:58 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,996 times
Quote:
Everytime I ask my Dad (a Master Gardener in Eastern NC) these sort of questions he always says "Call your Ag Extension Service Person." Each county has an agricultural extension service person who will come to your home and do a soil test for free. They will then tell you what your soil needs. (BTW, I haven't done this yet. I need to make that call.)

But Dad is probably right... otherwise I might just be throwing money down the drain and putting out chemicals that won't do anything. Google NC Cooperative Extention. You are looking for the Extension Agent for Wake Co. (I'll pm you a link.)

Good luck!!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:40 PM

The AG Extension Agency really is a fabulously under utilized resource! I worked for a stint at the extension agency (although not in anything AG related) and it's a wonderful, wonderful, resource available to NC and county citizens that I don't think most people realize is available to them. Please use them!

Old 04-08-2008, 10:59 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,750 times
I'm confused. How do you squeeze the limestone that you're applying to the lawn?

Old 04-09-2008, 04:14 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
I'm confused. How do you squeeze the limestone that you're applying to the lawn?
A good way to do it and it will get your neighbors to pay attention you more is to put it between your knees and just squeeze real hard.
(again invite us city data members over to watch and Ill bring sweet tea)

Limestone lime for the yard is like small powerdy pellets least the one I have use some are real powdery, Make sure you get right type the pellets are more ideal for establish lawns.
The best effective way to put it on the yard is to use a spreader that you use to fertilze your yard. It is very important that it be spread evenly. I spilt some in my yard by knocking over the spreader one year and it took me forever to get grass to grow back in that spot.
Spread evenly you will know where you have been due to leaves a white powder residue on the grass til the next rain soaking.

If you have pine trees in your yard you may have a higher acidic lawn and should have your soil tested as recommened above by calling the local agriculture extension office.

If the lawn is only slightly acidic, apply five pounds per 100 square feet in the fall, then have the soil's pH tested again the following spring. Apply more limestone at that point if necessary. The reason for waiting is that limestone breaks down very slowly in the soil. You may have to apply limestone only every few years, but some folks do it each year.
Liming Your Lawn

Spring is the time to fertilize the yard and liming is more for the fall.
Fertilizing Your Lawn

Back to the OP you want to use cornmeal or wheat meal to control the fungus. agriculture extension office is a good place to go by or call for the best advice on how and when to apply these items. Ask them where the closest farm/feed store is located because all these items usually can be bought cheaper and larger quanities there and they can guide how you can do it organically.

Storage if you have any left over be sure to store it a cool dry spot in the garage and have it closed.

If your start to see smurfs you might have a serious fungus problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary