Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2008, 06:05 PM
ROW ROW started this thread

21 posts, read 60,324 times

Advertisements

Hi, is there anyone out there familar with this area? I am moving next week to this area near Shoppes of Lakewood mall & Chapel Hill...Do anyone know if this is a decent area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 10:02 AM

159 posts, read 608,742 times
I lived in the Lakewood area (closer to Forest Hills, though) for five years. You don't say where exactly you'll be living, so it's hard to say much about the area except that it is generally an area of great diversity (there's a substantial Latino population in the area around Lakewood) and economic disparity (I lived two houses down for little box rentals in one direction and two houses down from one of Durham's most well-known millionaires in the other direction). The whole area is a total mix, and very typical of those parts of Durham where the wealthy and those not so fortunate coexist with varying results.

The Lakewood shopping center itself reflects this mix. There is a police precinct there, a couple of thrift stores, and the most convenient grocery store in the area, Food Lion. I went to the Food Lion when I just needed to do a quick run-in for something, but ended up doing my primary shopping at Harris Teeter on MLK, Jr. parkway. It was worth it to me to drive that distance. I have to say, I saw and observed a lot of interesting folk in the Lakewood Food Lion. There are also Mexican restaurants, some fast-food (not the big names, though), dry cleaners, etc. It is not a posh area. The shopping center has seen its better day, and that was numerous years ago.

It's a large area, so you may be in the part that borders Duke Forest neighborhood. I don't know as much about that area except that there are low-income apartments and nice houses, often butting against each other. I have friends who are Duke faculty who live in those areas that border Duke forest.

In the neighborhood across from Lakewood shopping center, you'll find some nice houses, and some not so nice houses. There are some great starter homes there and some great fixer-uppers, but it's hard to say in which direction some of the neighborhood is going.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:33 PM
ROW ROW started this thread

21 posts, read 60,324 times
Thanks for the post. I am moving right behind lakewood shopping center on Jersey Ave and was just trying to get an ideal about the area...thanks again

Old 10-14-2008, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 7,641 times
Cool Be careful

There are gangs in the area. That area is not really safe except during the day. If I were going to run out and get a few things I would take a male or a gun or pepper spray or some sort of personal protection.

I have lived in Durham most of my life, born here. I have watched Lakewood go straight down the toilet. It's not just white, black or latino and/or mexican, it's anybody.

Be aware of your surroundings, if the hairs on the back of your neck stand up or you get a bad feeling, follow that gut feeling, it is trying to tell you something is not right.

I hope this helps you. Durham is not all bad but you got to be careful. I am in a wheelchair and have been robbed several times just last year.
I live on Duke St.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:09 AM

59 posts, read 138,527 times
barbwire, I agree with what you've posted...but that said...if you feel so unsafe in Durham, why would you have your address in the "location" part of your profile, that appears each time you post?! Not a good idea in any area!

Old 10-14-2008, 03:55 PM

862 posts, read 3,548,232 times
I agree with the pps about the area. It is a real socio-economic mix there, but I think your specific area would be more along the lines of one of the rougher patches of Durham. With that said, I think the Food Lion there is pretty darn well kept considering the neighborhood it's in. The police precinct (and the cops who are hanging out at FL doorway) there makes me feel much safer. Definitely not your typical 'ghetto supermarket'. It's always been clean and the workers are courteous (this goes for the one on Fayetteville too, decent store in an economically disadvantaged area).

Old 10-14-2008, 05:14 PM

100 posts, read 242,877 times
You should have asked this question prior to your move; the area you describe is pretty ghetto (guns and drugs). That being said, I had a friend that lived there for a while...of course he had two boxer dogs, several guns, and was hip to the scene.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 9,201 times
I live in the Lakewood neighborhood with my kids and we have never felt unsafe or experienced any crime. It is hit-or-miss on a block-by-block basis, as is the case with most mid-size cities. However, I frequently go shopping at the Food Lion in Lakewood alone at night (without men or mace) and have never had a problem.

We have one of the most active and engaged neighborhood associations in the city. When there have been problems in the neighborhood with drug houses or such things, the association takes quick direct action to resolve it. We were the first (and still only) neighborhood to adopt a Neighborhood Protection Overlay which significantly limits how areas can be developed in order to retain the historic personality and feel of the area.

Take it from someone who is actually in the neighborhood right now, it is a diverse, vibrant, engaged place to live and I think you'll really like it here!

Old 02-04-2009, 02:44 PM

6 posts, read 34,024 times
I lived on Pike St. for 9 yrs (a few streets over from Jersey). This was 12 yrs ago. It was great when I first moved there...a bit bohemian with a students population (close to Duke), but over the years it deteriorated and toward the end we heard guns every night. I would read the crime report in the paper every morning and they were usually perpetrated by people on my street or in my neighborhood. We were only burglurized once and while we were there we felt safe and never felt threatened, but I haven't been back in 12 yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary