Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 07:47 AM

272 posts, read 303,498 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me how Duke Eye Center compares to Dean Dornic or Lori Travers both in professionalism and skill, as well as cost as far as Lasik proceedures are concerned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 10:02 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
I'm going to give Duke a point for professionalism just for not having commercials on The Showgram. I'm sorry but I'm not taking any medical advice from Erica,Bob or Pnutbutter.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:49 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
I cannot understand the use of a bad commercial by a surgeon.

In this one, the patient said she was turned down by several doctors before Dr. Dornic did her case. Scares me. What sort of a favor was done here? Was this doctor the only one to accept the risk of operating on a possibly unsuitable patient?

I needed cataract surgery and went to Dr. Chris Bohelke at Duke Raleigh Eye Center. He did not push me into anything and did a great job selecting the correct, not the most expensive, lenses to implant.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:03 PM

272 posts, read 303,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I cannot understand the use of a bad commercial by a surgeon.

In this one, the patient said she was turned down by several doctors before Dr. Dornic did her case. Scares me. What sort of a favor was done here? Was this doctor the only one to accept the risk of operating on a possibly unsuitable patient?

I needed cataract surgery and went to Dr. Chris Bohelke at Duke Raleigh Eye Center. He did not push me into anything and did a great job selecting the correct, not the most expensive, lenses to implant.
Are you saying Dornic is an unscrupulous business man and not a competent professional? I consulted with him based on his rep, and he did seem a little hasty in his examination/recomendation. But he was also quite clear and direct in his advice in comparison with Travers, who was quite professional as well.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:32 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainednCary View Post
Are you saying Dornic is an unscrupulous business man and not a competent professional? I consulted with him based on his rep, and he did seem a little hasty in his examination/recomendation. But he was also quite clear and direct in his advice in comparison with Travers, who was quite professional as well.
I'm not a doctor and cannot judge why there was such a difference of opinion among the surgeons.

All i can say is that the advertisement disturbed me because this patient was advised by several other surgeons not to have the procedure.

Unless the fourth doctor had access to some knowledge or equipment the others lacked, I'd be scared stiff to proceed with the surgery, especially since it was elective.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:09 PM

744 posts, read 1,263,078 times
Duke is ranked #8 in ophthalmology.

U.S. News Best Hospitals: Ophthalmology

Old 07-31-2015, 08:39 PM

464 posts, read 1,044,137 times
As someone who went through LASIK surgery last year I can give comparisons between Travers and Dornic. I ended up going with Dr. Dornic for my procedure after getting a my free consultation from him and Travers.

The big thing for me was that Dr. Dornic was there in person for EVERY appointment I had, through the consultation, to the obvious surgery day, to the 6 followup visits. He and his staff are top notch and I would recommend him to anyone, including my wife who had LASIK herself after I did.

With Travers, it really turned me off that she could not be bothered to do the consultation herself. She was nowhere to be seen when I was in for my initial consult. I did like her staff, but I did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling that the first time I would meet the person doing my surgery was the day OF the surgery.

While I have no opinion one way or the other about Duke I can say both my wife and I are very pleased with the results from our procedures with Dr. Dornic and his staff.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,346 times
I'm starting to look at options and will be setting up some appointments for consultations. I see Duke is highly ranked and recommended but what about a specific Doctor? Does anyone have feedback on the Ophthalmologists at the Duke Eye Center.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: