Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 10:56 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times

Advertisements

I am in Raleigh and have about 20 old photos that need to be scanned wth the best resolution possible
for my daughter to use in her wedding slide show.

I am clueless about resolution & image quality so I don't even know the questions to ask if I call places.
I want them put on a flash drive or on a CD ..

Does anyone know who would do the best job on this ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 11:07 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
This is one of those services where there isn't much variation in quality. As long as the glass is clean and the scanner functioning properly, you're going to get the same result whether you go to Target, Costco, CVS, or a camera shop.

To be honest, you probably have a friend with access to a scanner who can do it for free. You might want to ask around.

ETA: for a slide show, the "best resolution possible" isn't necessary. In fact, it's not a good thing since it will make the file size huge and bog down the computer running the show. If you were printing the photos, that would be a different matter.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
This is one of those services where there isn't much variation in quality. As long as the glass is clean and the scanner functioning properly, you're going to get the same result whether you go to Target, Costco, CVS, or a camera shop.

To be honest, you probably have a friend with access to a scanner who can do it for free. You might want to ask around.

ETA: for a slide show, the "best resolution possible" isn't necessary. In fact, it's not a good thing since it will make the file size huge and bog down the computer running the show. If you were printing the photos, that would be a different matter.
Good to know..Thanks..

I have a scanner but the photo I scanned was blurry when I viewed it on my computer and I don't know how to change image quality on my scanner...

Old 07-29-2015, 11:35 AM

I'm guessing the scanner is the type that you press a button, and it scans the image using whatever default settings are in place. But there is likely software on your computer that you have to open in order to change the settings. Whatever manufacturer the scanner is, look in your Start menu and see if there's a folder of the same name ... the software is probably in there.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:38 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,963 times
Also, Google the Scanner manufacturer's name and model number. Pretty much all consumer electronic equipment now have websites where you can download their users manual and check on software.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:38 PM

169 posts, read 419,247 times
Most scanners can be used via Windows Imaging, if you don't want to try and figure out what software you might or might not have installed. It's very basic, but for what you want, that might be a good thing. Windows Imaging or Windows Fax & Scan can be found under start > accessories, or in Win8, just type scan in the Metro UI.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:45 PM

Thanks..I will work on the scanning options...

I got these scanned today at FedEX and they put them in a PDF file which will not import
to my iphoto...

Decided to mail the photos and she has someone that can get them scanned for the slideshow..

Old 07-29-2015, 07:53 PM

169 posts, read 419,247 times
Wow, PDF is basically the last format you wanted them in, that's unfortunate.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRob View Post
Wow, PDF is basically the last format you wanted them in, that's unfortunate.
I didn't think to ask them about the format when I was there..

Old 07-30-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Thanks..I will work on the scanning options...

I got these scanned today at FedEX and they put them in a PDF file which will not import
to my iphoto...

Decided to mail the photos and she has someone that can get them scanned for the slideshow..
If you know anyone with Adobe Pro, they can convert those PDFs into JPGs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary