Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 04:13 PM

703 posts, read 780,538 times

Advertisements

Ok, I get that many of the roads north of I540 are common routes for the cycling enthusiasts, particularly on weekend mornings. I'm fine with that, and I understand the need for the cyclists to ride in small packs - often 2 abreast, for safety reasons. I do my part in my motorized vehicle of sharing the road and passing on the other side of the road when it's safe to do so. I don't "push" the cyclists, and understand that it's typically only a short delay for me before I'm able to pass them.

So, I have a couple of questions...
- what is a driver to do when he or she comes up upon a pack of 12 or more cyclists, stretched out a good bit longer than a 18 wheeler? The length of such a pack makes it pretty much impossible to pass - as there just isn't enough clearance to do so on most of these roads at the pace they're moving (typically ~20mph on the flat portions and 10-15mph on inclines).
- why do many cyclists seem to find it ok to go straight or left through stop lights if there are no cars coming (after stopping first)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 04:31 PM

510 posts, read 901,279 times
the stop light sensors don't pick up the cyclists, even when there is a group.

the law states it is the responsibility of the motorist to pass ONLY when it is safe to do so; this includes passing any vehicle--car, truck, farm tractor, scooter, bicycle. It also states you must pass by a minimum of 2 feet, and sound your horn before passing ( I find the horn annoying myself)

http://www.ncdot.gov/bikeped/downloa...ebook-full.pdf

Old 08-09-2015, 05:09 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Are air horns legal for passenger cars?

Old 08-09-2015, 05:13 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
For the car driver, you need to show a lot of patience. The cyclists have as much right to the road as you do, and you can only pass when it is save to do so. A huge group of cyclists are going to slow you down a bit more than a group of 6-8. Relax, wait, and eventually you will have the opportunity to pass.

For the cyclists, the legal right of way is yours - but I would still say make it easy for the car drivers to pass. In the case of an accident, the cyclist is the one who is likely to be (possibly seriously) hurt. Try to make it easier for drivers to pass by not making a mass of 20-40 cyclists strewn across a curvy road, but leave some small openings so the car driver can play ******* and pass when appropriate.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:34 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
For the car driver, you need to show a lot of patience. The cyclists have as much right to the road as you do, and you can only pass when it is save to do so. A huge group of cyclists are going to slow you down a bit more than a group of 6-8. Relax, wait, and eventually you will have the opportunity to pass.

For the cyclists, the legal right of way is yours - but I would still say make it easy for the car drivers to pass. In the case of an accident, the cyclist is the one who is likely to be (possibly seriously) hurt. Try to make it easier for drivers to pass by not making a mass of 20-40 cyclists strewn across a curvy road, but leave some small openings so the car driver can play ******* and pass when appropriate.
I show a ton of patience for cyclists but my patience wears really thin in a dang hurry when these cyclists ride in the middle of the road just because they have the right. What else really chaps me is these cyclists who blow right past on the right of the cars which are stopped at a stoplight. And I have yet to see these cyclists stop at the 4-way stop signs on Purnell rd. They just blow right through.

Cyclists: Don't play chicken and stop being so ignorant. Ride on the right side of the road, not in the middle. Don't hold up traffic just because you can and I see this repeatedly. You will lose against the car and most of the drivers do not care about your right to ride on the road. If you are going to demand the right of way you damn well better follow the rules of the road also.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:38 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Airzound is quite portable: Delta Airzound Bike Horn - $9.95 - Bike Parts 360

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jx_wFrbmPo

Easy to point out car window....

Old 08-09-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Airzound is quite portable: Delta Airzound Bike Horn - $9.95 - Bike Parts 360

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jx_wFrbmPo

Easy to point out car window....
I was thinking of something for my car. Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByKItl_Lw4Y

Old 08-09-2015, 06:27 PM

510 posts, read 901,279 times
Quote:
why is it so hard for people to be kind and courteous to others? - if the person riding the bike is legally doing the right thing why would you try to scare them or deafen them? you might make someone crash. Maybe that person is someone's dad, son, mother, etc.....have some patience....even if they are not showing you the same, be the better person.....no mater how mad they make you.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvncresident04 View Post
why is it so hard for people to be kind and courteous to others? - if the person riding the bike is legally doing the right thing why would you try to scare them or deafen them? you might make someone crash. Maybe that person is someone's dad, son, mother, etc.....have some patience....even if they are not showing you the same, be the better person.....no mater how mad they make you.
This goes both ways. I was almost in a head on collision once because an elderly man decked out in spandex couldn't peddle in a straight line going up a hill on Six Forks. I had to swerve into the oncoming lane on a curve to avoid him. There was a car coming the other way that almost went into the ditch to avoid me.

It's not reasonable to expect motorist to drive the same speed as bike riders on these twisty and hilly roads. I tried to keep an open mind about sharing the road, but I'm done. If our roads were designed to accommodate us all I'd probably feel differently. I see more bikers with an " I own the road" attitude these days and they're the ones who ride on the most dangerous roads in the area. There are much safer ways to exercise.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:38 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Quote:
It's not reasonable to expect motorist to drive the same speed as bike riders on these twisty and hilly roads. I tried to keep an open mind about sharing the road, but I'm done. If our roads were designed to accommodate us all I'd probably feel differently. I see more bikers with an " I own the road" attitude these days and they're the ones who ride on the most dangerous roads in the area. There are much safer ways to exercise.

Exactly right. And these bikers are the ones who give us motorists such a negative attitude toward bicyclists in general.

So bicyclists, instead of trying to convince motorists to "give more room" and "share the road" maybe you should try to straighten out your own group to follow the laws and loose the attitude of owning the road. Then us motorists would be more inclined to be more friendly towards bicyclists.

But I will say this. About a week ago I drove up on a pair of bicyclists on Six Forks rd. crossing the lake. They had a chip on their shoulder and continued to ride in the middle of the road. When I gave a quick tap of the horn one of them sat up, turned around on his seat, threw up his hands, and mouthed the 4-letter word that starts with a F and followed it with a Y-O-U. He's lucky I had somewhere to be so I let it go. So y'all keep on. You never know who is driving the car that you quick to run off with the mouth. I assure you that bicyclist would've lost if I pulled over. So, bicyclists, I'll slow down and give room as long as you are to the side of the road and acting responsibly. But I'm done being polite to the rest of you clowns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary