Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 09:30 PM

4 posts, read 5,546 times

Advertisements

I apologize if this question has been answered in other threads. I will be moving from Boston to Cary in Sept along with my family. My elder son is 6 years old. I understand that below schools in Cary are good. Is there a recommendation of which school we should choose? OR is there any other better school that we should choose? Additionally, I am also looking for recommendations of rental apartment complexes that will map to these schools. Appreciate your help!

Davis Drive Elementary
Highcroft Elementary
Mills Park Elementary
Green Hope Elementary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 09:47 PM

Forgot to add this in my original query. My reporting office address is Durham NC 27709. I am looking for a good rental apartment complex that will be a short drive to the office and that will also map to a good school. I read some articles online and assumed that Cary will meet my needs. Please let me know if there are other areas other than Cary that can meet my needs. If so, what is your recommendation?

Old 08-13-2015, 06:26 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aishulav View Post
I apologize if this question has been answered in other threads. I will be moving from Boston to Cary in Sept along with my family. My elder son is 6 years old. I understand that below schools in Cary are good. Is there a recommendation of which school we should choose? OR is there any other better school that we should choose? Additionally, I am also looking for recommendations of rental apartment complexes that will map to these schools. Appreciate your help!

Davis Drive Elementary
Highcroft Elementary
Mills Park Elementary
Green Hope Elementary
All of those schools are good. You will be assigned according to your address. To my knowledge, there are no failing schools in Cary. I'm pretty sure that goes for all of Wake county. Durham schools are hit and miss. It's very important there to make sure it's a decent school or go with untraditional choices.

I'm not a Durham hater but I've read enough about their schools to know it's a bigger challenge then in other areas.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:51 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aishulav View Post
Additionally, I am also looking for recommendations of rental apartment complexes that will map to these schools. Appreciate your help!

Davis Drive Elementary
Highcroft Elementary
Mills Park Elementary
Green Hope Elementary
Unfortunately the mapping is more complicated than just a one-to-one relationship. Please do some reading about Wake County Schools. Your will have a choice of a traditional and a year-round school, but some popular schools are "capped". The traditional schools will have started Aug 27, before your move.

Anyway, a partial answer can be found in the ApartmentGuide website. For example, the Bexley Panther Creek Apartments show proximity to Highcroft and Green Hope Elementary Schools: Bexley Panther Creek Apartments - Cary, NC 27519 | Apartments for Rent

You can also just try Google Maps. Find an elementary school, and request nearby apartments. Near the Mills Park Elementary School are: The Reserve at Cary Park, Brook Arbor and Bexley at Carpenter Village.

You should verify that these are the assigned schools with the Wake County School locator.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-13-2015 at 09:13 AM..

Old 08-13-2015, 11:47 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
some popular schools are "capped".
Woops, Mills Park is capped, see: Student Assignment / Enrollment Caps

As others have said, all the schools in Cary are good. I would just suggest picking an apartment that fits your needs and is close to the job. However, if you want maps, they are PDF's of each of the school attendance zones here: http://wwwgis2.wcpss.net/addressLookup/

Old 08-13-2015, 12:17 PM

26 posts, read 27,295 times
Cornerstone Apartments in Cary is assigned for Davis Drive Elementary. It is very popular because of the schools assignment. You will have more choices with the other elementary schools.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:37 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Not a lot of apartments assigned to those schools. Cornerstone is assigned to DDE. There are probably more assigned to MP but it is capped so cross that off your list. There's an apartment complex on NC55 north of the intersection with High House Road, it's probably zoned for Highcroft. Not sure of the name of it and honestly it's not that nice.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:05 PM

Thank you all for your inputs. What happens if the base school tied to my residence address is "capped" out? Can they deny admission? If so, how do they assign the school?

Old 08-13-2015, 10:19 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
You attempt to register at your base school, and if they determine they don't have room, you'll be assigned to an overflow school with transportation provided. I can't find the list of overflow options for the capped schools in a quick search...they don't publicize it for some reason.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:10 AM

68 posts, read 118,567 times
There are few to no (just a buffer) bad schools in West Cary/Morrisville/Apex. Any difference between the best of the best and the lesser of the best will still provide a great education, an active PTA, and plenty of extracurricular opportunities for your child.
Pick a community that suits your family's needs in Western Wake and you'll be satisfied. You'll be more than welcomed to join the school community and be pleased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary