Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:54 AM

76 posts, read 272,342 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate and find a job in the Wake County School District. I need some advice (good or bad) on these schools. Please tell me anything you can!
* Penny Road Elementary
* Stough Elementary
* Cary Elementary

Thank You So Much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 05:21 PM

374 posts, read 1,598,708 times
My sister is a 2nd grade teacher and taught at Cary Elem for 3 years. She had nothing but praise for that school and the administration. Very organized and innovative and high parent involvement at that school. She recommends. Can't speak of the other 2 except that my brohter lives by Penney Rd elem and we let our kids play at the nice playground there...LOL.

good luck

Old 04-04-2007, 08:41 PM

Thank You so much! It is so hard to find this type of information when i am currently residing in NY. I am currently guaranteed a job in Wake County - but now it is my job to weed out which jobs I want to apply for and then fly down for interviews.

The more input the better on these schools. Especially from people who have actually experienced it all - again thank you!

Any more information is greatly appreciated???

Old 04-04-2007, 08:55 PM

129 posts, read 566,153 times
My only recommendation is to pick a school on the side of town you are going to live. The traffic is the only reason I mention it. Cary Elementary and Penny Road are in Cary, Stough is in Raleigh not far from the Crabtree area.

Here is a link to every single thing you could want to know....make sure you click the "school report card snapshot." It tells you even the rate of teacher turnover.

http://www.ncschoolreportcard.org/src/

Old 04-04-2007, 09:03 PM

Thank you so much - I will definelty be looking on the website - probably for hours. Most likely I plan to find a job that I truly want - then plan to look for housing - I have heard of some of the traffic issues and would definelty appreciate a short commute - my boyfriend would be moving down with me and has his own flooring business - so he will be commuting like it or not.

I am not exaclty sure what the crabtree area is? Is this a good area of Raleigh? I am a bit agains actually working in the city - but have not yet ruled it out. I am not sure what Raleigh schools are like compared to what I am used to up here in NY. Thanks SO muCH!

Old 04-04-2007, 09:09 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTEACHER View Post
Thank you so much - I will definelty be looking on the website - probably for hours. Most likely I plan to find a job that I truly want - then plan to look for housing - I have heard of some of the traffic issues and would definelty appreciate a short commute - my boyfriend would be moving down with me and has his own flooring business - so he will be commuting like it or not.

I am not exaclty sure what the crabtree area is? Is this a good area of Raleigh? I am a bit agains actually working in the city - but have not yet ruled it out. I am not sure what Raleigh schools are like compared to what I am used to up here in NY. Thanks SO muCH!
You do realize that the schools in Raleigh are the same school district as the rest of the schools in Wake County and are economically balanced and funded?

Old 04-04-2007, 09:18 PM

Yes thank you - I just know that Wake County is a large county with schools in all different settings. I just want the opinons of people on specific schools - since it has been my experience that one school is not the same as another even within the same county. You must always consider issues such as the quality of administration, parental involvement, classroom setup, school environment and so on.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:32 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTEACHER View Post
Yes thank you - I just know that Wake County is a large county with schools in all different settings. I just want the opinons of people on specific schools - since it has been my experience that one school is not the same as another even within the same county. You must always consider issues such as the quality of administration, parental involvement, classroom setup, school environment and so on.
Yes, each school is very different due to admin and parents....but I wouldn't rule out all schools in the city limits of Raleigh...as there are some fine and wonderful schools there as well as out in the smaller towns surronding.

Wake Forest has some very good schools (I'd have no problem with her going to her base school and many of her friends do attend)....but I choose to send her to an even better one downtown.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:41 PM

129 posts, read 566,153 times
Remember you are also dealing with which calendar you are going to work under. Year-round vs Traditional. That could also be a process of elimination for you if you do not want year-round.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:00 PM

I def. am not ruling out Raleigh schools...hoping to come down for interviews in June - but not sure if they will interview when school is out of session etc.

I feel that more jobs will be posted the closer it gets to the end of the school year - i am crossing my fingers and hoping for the best!! I can't wait to come down and visit!

Any input on other elementary schools not mentioned would be great -thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary