Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 09:46 AM

148 posts, read 171,770 times

Advertisements

I have two comments:

1) Absolutely get a lawyer. It's a bunch of BS, but it is how the system works. Magically, the fine you end up paying for the reduced charge (in NC the favorite reduced sentence is for "improper equipment" - a non-moving violation that has no insurance impact) will end up being almost exactly the same as the speeding violation. So really the only difference is a one-time payment to a lawyer or multiple year higher-than-usual payments to your insurance company.

2) I'm surprised nobody is picking on your decision to wear earphones while driving. I understand that at this particular situation you weren't listening to them, but that is still incredibly dangerous. Why would you willingly remove one of your senses when driving? It's not as dangerous as driving blindfolded or texting while driving, but there are so many things that I become aware of while driving first with my ears long before my eyes pick them up. Police/Fire/EMT, for instance. Cars coming up behind me or along side of me in my blind spot. Honking. The list goes on. I hate it when a fellow driver gets caught in a speed trap as that's just a revenue generator that has no relationship with road safety, but I'm personally glad you got hit with the fine for your earphones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 11:01 AM

63 posts, read 98,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKEBeck88 View Post
I have two comments:

1) Absolutely get a lawyer. It's a bunch of BS, but it is how the system works. Magically, the fine you end up paying for the reduced charge (in NC the favorite reduced sentence is for "improper equipment" - a non-moving violation that has no insurance impact) will end up being almost exactly the same as the speeding violation. So really the only difference is a one-time payment to a lawyer or multiple year higher-than-usual payments to your insurance company.

2) I'm surprised nobody is picking on your decision to wear earphones while driving. I understand that at this particular situation you weren't listening to them, but that is still incredibly dangerous. Why would you willingly remove one of your senses when driving? It's not as dangerous as driving blindfolded or texting while driving, but there are so many things that I become aware of while driving first with my ears long before my eyes pick them up. Police/Fire/EMT, for instance. Cars coming up behind me or along side of me in my blind spot. Honking. The list goes on. I hate it when a fellow driver gets caught in a speed trap as that's just a revenue generator that has no relationship with road safety, but I'm personally glad you got hit with the fine for your earphones.
Yes. I agree with your point. Driving with head/ear phones is definitely a distraction. This experience should remind me to be a safe driver. But we always take risk while driving which is dumb as we all know.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:02 AM

Are there any speed traps or violations to note in NC?

Old 09-09-2015, 11:26 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,774,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njking View Post
Are there any speed traps or violations to note in NC?
Hwy 64 East near the town of Columbia is a terrible speed trap ..... 35-55-35 .... cash cow for them

Old 09-10-2015, 10:59 AM

Thanks. This site may be useful to check speed traps while driving.
US Highway 64 East near Town of Columbia Speed Traps | The National Speed Trap Exchange
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary