Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 10:46 AM

46 posts, read 62,657 times

Advertisements

Hello North Carolinians!

My fiance and I presently live in Suffolk County on Long Island are are strongly considering moving out of state to have a better quality of life. We are considering moving to the Raleigh suburbs. We are looking for areas with established (not manufactured) communities, yardage (.75 acres) with trees, and nearby local and big box stores.Are we on the right track? Are there other recommendations you may have?

I am a graphic designer, and my fiance works as an auto damage adjuster for GEICO, how are job markets in the area?

Anything else we should know..traffic? entertainment? taxes?

We obviously would love to hear from anyone who moved from Long island or NY and hear about your experiences. We want to "fit in." We are both in our mid to late 20s.

Our biggest factors are good schools, jobs and taxes (I know taxes are cheap as dirt!!!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 11:02 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Jobs is your first issue since pay scales in many fields are lower here. GEICO is here so your fiancé might be able to transfer.

Yes property taxes are much lower than LI, but not too much else.

Schools are overrun with transplants and many teachers are bailing out because the state treats them like dirt.

I grew up in Oceanside, wife in Island Park and came here 26 years ago from New Orleans.

What i miss most is good public transit.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Jobs is your first issue since pay scales in many fields are lower here. GEICO is here so your fiancé might be able to transfer.

Yes property taxes are much lower than LI, but not too much else.

Schools are overrun with transplants and many teachers are bailing out because the state treats them like dirt.

I grew up in Oceanside, wife in Island Park and came here 26 years ago from New Orleans.

What i miss most is good public transit.

Saturnfan, we don't take public transit unless it's to manhattan, so that's not a factor really.

Sales tax is 4.75, Almost half of NY
Gas is on Avg. .50 cheaper a gallon

I'm not savvy on gas or electric prices, but I know HOAs are much lower too.

What would you say is not cheaper, food? utilities?

I make 40k now, and with NY taxes take home around 30. My fiance makes more (55k) but neither of us really make a salary we can live on here, so if we take a paycut, but can make ends meet in a single family home with kids, that's an improvement.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:31 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
What's your housing budget? Almost an acre is going to cost you near civilization as you know it.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:36 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
So many of us active City-Data contributors in this forum are from the NY/NJ area and within that many are from Long Island.

Honestly, just about every piece of information you're looking for is already available in this forum in abundance so search through it a bit and see if you can answer most of your own questions.

Employment opportunities are based on your industry and years of experience. Most professionals can find suitable employment, some quicker than others. The schools in Wake County are very good despite the "sky is falling" prophecies. There is a variable factor in terms of school quality based on mostly economic factors (think New Cassel versus Dix Hills), but we moved from the North Shore and have been generally satisfied with what was offered. Taxes are cheaper; depending on where you buy they can be much lower or just lower (one house we looked at in 2006 had taxes 3.5 times higher than the one we bought).

Overall our relocation has been very successful (we sensed it would be after the first 1-2 years and declared it as such upon celebrating 5 years here). There are adjustments and surprises that await, but if you're committed to making it work, have done sufficient due diligence and really planned it out you'll likely be successful as well.

Oh, and in addition to property taxes being lower, our auto insurance dropped by more than half, we pay at least $.25 per gallon less for gas, our overall monthly utility bill was about 30% lower and the cost of services (e.g., plumbing, electrical, etc.) has always been much more reasonable. Overall we spend a lot less here than before we moved (sorry Saturnfan, I'm really trying not to debate you in every thread but sometimes I just gotta).

Good luck with your decision making process.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
What's your housing budget? Almost an acre is going to cost you near civilization as you know it.
Looking for under 400k. Have you been to Suffolk county? Because I feel you are assuming "civilzation as you know it" means NYC, and I am not interested in that at all except that I'd like to be within an hour's drive of it.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:24 PM

Thanks Carolinadawg, I was reading through these, but I had some specific questions about our industries and job availability, and the fact that we are 20 somethings trying to start a family in a place similar to the suburbs of NY without the rudeness, rush, and chokehold they have on our salaries. I'll continue to browse through these as more people answer. I'm really interested in other people's experiences not just "you can't find pizza here" "we serve take away instead of to-go." We have lived in florida and I have family in Louisiana, and being from NY, I'm looking for a compromise of these places.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:33 PM

252 posts, read 275,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasey_lyn View Post
Thanks Carolinadawg, I was reading through these, but I had some specific questions about our industries and job availability, and the fact that we are 20 somethings trying to start a family in a place similar to the suburbs of NY without the rudeness, rush, and chokehold they have on our salaries. I'll continue to browse through these as more people answer. I'm really interested in other people's experiences not just "you can't find pizza here" "we serve take away instead of to-go." We have lived in florida and I have family in Louisiana, and being from NY, I'm looking for a compromise of these places.
I am from central NY and I moved here in 2003, my thoughts specifically on the job market are here (post #34):

***N.C JOB Market**What is it Like?***

Old 09-10-2015, 12:36 PM

580 posts, read 712,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasey_lyn View Post
Looking for under 400k. Have you been to Suffolk county? Because I feel you are assuming "civilzation as you know it" means NYC, and I am not interested in that at all except that I'd like to be within an hour's drive of it.
What town in Suffolk? That might help the ex-NY'ers on here on where you are coming from.

I am from Oceanside too (Hi, saturnfan ) born and raised and ran as fast as I could from there in 1998.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary