Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 12:59 PM

33 posts, read 46,159 times

Advertisements

So the title pretty much says it all. I've fallen in love with another older home (so far we haven't found one that fits our needs but this one is my favorite). Hubbie on the other hand isn't sure about an older home especially since it comes with a well and septic. I grew up with a well and septic so that's not a big deal to me. What's kind of an issue is that there was an addition put on over 20 years ago so if we want to have that part of the house insured we'll need to get a permitted. So to do that we get an inspection and then any parts that aren't up to code would have to be fixed.

Am I nuts? Is this going to be $$$? Additionally the septic system is original to the house which was built in the early 60s. Again not something I'm concerned about since most systems from that decade were precast models and usually have a long lifetime. Anyone here have a over 50+ year old septic system that's still working great? What about the addition issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 01:39 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
A concrete septic tank may outlast the house but the drain field might not. You should make sure the perc test and lot size allow for an alternate drain field. It will be needed some day. Perhaps the original permit identified a location for the alternate. (Mine does.)

Old 09-17-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
A concrete septic tank may outlast the house but the drain field might not. You should make sure the perc test and lot size allow for an alternate drain field. It will be needed some day. Perhaps the original permit identified a location for the alternate. (Mine does.)

Thanks! Unfortunately there isn't a permit on file. The lot is around half an acre, does that sound too small to have an alternate site?

Old 09-17-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einin View Post
... if we want to have that part of the house insured we'll need to get a permitted.
Why should this burden fall on you? Talk to your realtor. In the few such cases which I know of, the seller was required to do the necessary rework and obtain the permit.

Lack of a permit is a defect just as much as a rotten roof or crumbling foundation.

In any case, the procedure for an after-the-fact permit may vary according to jurisdiction. You didn't specify the location of this property.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Unfortunately there isn't a permit on file.
Not on file but maybe the seller has it tucked away with other documents such as the title and Letter of Satisfaction proving the mortgage was paid.
Quote:
The lot is around half an acre, does that sound too small to have an alternate site?
That depends on the perc test, the remaining permeable area, and the zoning. Having said that, half-an-acre does sound too small.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Why should this burden fall on you? Talk to your realtor. In the few such cases which I know of, the seller was required to do the necessary rework and obtain the permit.

Lack of a permit is a defect just as much as a rotten roof or crumbling foundation.

In any case, the procedure for an after-the-fact permit may vary according to jurisdiction. You didn't specify the location of this property.

I'm not sure, this would be our first time purchasing a preowned home, so I'm ignorant about this type of situation. Our current home is one of those newly built cookie-cutter homes. So is this typically something the seller would take care of? The home is under city of Raleigh jurisdiction for the permitting. The addition is a family room, laundry closet and storage closet.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Not on file but maybe the seller has it tucked away with other documents such as the title and Letter of Satisfaction proving the mortgage was paid.
That depends on the perc test, the remaining permeable area, and the zoning. Having said that, half-an-acre does sound too small.

Thank you for all the info on the septic! Our realtor asked the seller if they had any documents for the septic but unfortunately they didn't, ugh.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:59 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
A lot of old houses do not have permits for septic and otherwise. If the septic has been working for 55 yrs it will probably keep on going. My understanding is that if it stops working and a simple repair won't suffice, you may be required to put in an entirely new system. But by that time public utilities might be available.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
... is this typically something the seller would take care of?
You need the advice of a knowledgeable realtor. My understanding is this: you may ask the seller to fix any defect as a condition of completing the sale. The seller chooses how to respond. He/she might perform the repairs, refuse to perform the repairs ("take it as-is"), or make a price concession to offset the costs you will incur to make the repairs. It's a negotiation.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:03 PM

Thank you very much everyone! One other issue we're waiting to hear back on is when I looked up the property on the iMaps and pulled down the stormwater layer, it said "Marsh" over the backyard. Not sure what that means, but my husband wasn't so thrilled. Haha, I really like this house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary