Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 12:54 PM

78 posts, read 103,492 times

Advertisements

I think middle school and high school are both equally important in different ways. Maybe not equally - but close. Elementary school sets the foundation, and middle and high school continue that foundation. Top schools are unfortunately (or fortunately?) very important to me, especially coming from the Northeast where she attended top 10 schools in the state. This applies to elementary, middle, and high for me.

You all make some excellent points, and I truly appreciate your feedback and suggestions. They are very appreciated, and I agree with many of them.

I did browse some private schools. They seem to be pricy, but around the prices we find in my current area (20-25k a year, on average). If I were to send my daughter to private school, do you all have any suggestions for locations for home buying? You're correct that I wouldn't want to pay the higher-for-the-area Cary prices if we aren't going to utilize the schools. I love the feel of West Cary and would prefer somewhere like that, with a reasonable commute to downtown Raleigh. Not sure if this is even possible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 03:49 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesslauren310 View Post
I think middle school and high school are both equally important in different ways. Maybe not equally - but close. Elementary school sets the foundation, and middle and high school continue that foundation. Top schools are unfortunately (or fortunately?) very important to me, especially coming from the Northeast where she attended top 10 schools in the state. This applies to elementary, middle, and high for me.

You all make some excellent points, and I truly appreciate your feedback and suggestions. They are very appreciated, and I agree with many of them.

I did browse some private schools. They seem to be pricy, but around the prices we find in my current area (20-25k a year, on average). If I were to send my daughter to private school, do you all have any suggestions for locations for home buying? You're correct that I wouldn't want to pay the higher-for-the-area Cary prices if we aren't going to utilize the schools. I love the feel of West Cary and would prefer somewhere like that, with a reasonable commute to downtown Raleigh. Not sure if this is even possible!
Move near Cary Academy. Quick commute to DT Raleigh, still in Cary. Prices near there a bit lower than West Cary because people from the NE who are used to smaller school systems that money can buy them into all flock to West Cary, which inflates prices there.

People over on this side of Cary are either comfortable with what are actually good schools or sending their kids to Cary Academy.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:51 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Move near Cary Academy. Quick commute to DT Raleigh, still in Cary. Prices near there a bit lower than West Cary because people from the NE who are used to smaller school systems that money can buy them into all flock to West Cary, which inflates prices there.

People over on this side of Cary are either comfortable with what are actually good schools or sending their kids to Cary Academy.
How many people work in DT Raleigh versus RTP? I think that's the bigger reason people flock to West Cary. Much shorter commute and possibly better schools? Yes please.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
How many people work in DT Raleigh versus RTP? I think that's the bigger reason people flock to West Cary. Much shorter commute and possibly better schools? Yes please.
The OP just asked for a reasonable commute to DTR. I was just providing her with a solution per her requested criteria.

The area of Cary I speak of is only 5-10 minutes further from RTP than a good portion of West Cary, too.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:28 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,545,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
That was my rationale for living in West Cary, door to door in 15 minutes, come home for lunch, etc.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:47 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,545,261 times
Quote:

Peninsula at Amberly is West Cary in Chatham county, so houses are less expensive than nearby Cary Park. You would be assigned to Chatham County schools (or could pay for any private school you wanted to attend).

Re: the Top Schools argument, be careful that your special snowflake does not become just another number as they matriculate through the system. There is some value in being the top 1% of a school as opposed to the top 20% of a more competitive school. My son's Junior Honor Society induction at Mills Park Middle had 125 students in it. IMHO, they purposefully made the volunteer requirements complicated to try to disqualify people because the group was too large. [I remember the same group at my Junior High School was 10 people, in a relatively large school]

If you want to be accepted to UNC or NCSU, quotas will work against you at Panther Creek compared to say Northwood High School in Chatham County. Northwood offers most of the same AP classes that Panther Creek and has an absolutely amazing baseball facility (especially compared to the field and port-a-potty, no lights at Panther Creek).

Old 10-01-2015, 11:38 AM

I'm not worried about her being another number, and I hate when people use terminology like "special snowflake." If you knew me in real life, I'm probably one of the least likely parents to want to give my child special treatment. I just want her to have a good education, which is why we work hard to be able to send her to a top public school. There's a difference to me between "great," "good," and "good enough."

This isn't about what kind of college she will get into. I want her to choose a school SHE LIKES and is happy with. I have no idea what college that will be, but I'm confident she will figure that out when the time comes.

I attended public schools in Massachusetts and Arizona while I was growing up, and there were drastic differences in a top AZ school vs MA school. I realize that one state's - or person's - standards will vary from another's. I'd rather her be middle of the pack at a top school than the top of her class at an "ok" school. To me, it's not about her class rank. I choose schools for her based on the quality of education she will receive, as well as the safety of the school, area, etc. As long as she's happy and I'm confident she's receiving a terrific education, that trumps whether or not she is inducted into an Honor's Society or graduates in the top 1% of her class.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I'm not worried about her being another number, and I hate when people use terminology like "special snowflake." If you knew me in real life, I'm probably one of the least likely parents to want to give my child special treatment. I just want her to have a good education, which is why we work hard to be able to send her to a top public school. There's a difference to me between "great," "good," and "good enough."

This isn't about what kind of college she will get into. I want her to choose a school SHE LIKES and is happy with. I have no idea what college that will be, but I'm confident she will figure that out when the time comes.

I attended public schools in Massachusetts and Arizona while I was growing up, and there were drastic differences in a top AZ school vs MA school. I realize that one state's - or person's - standards will vary from another's. I'd rather her be middle of the pack at a top school than the top of her class at an "ok" school. To me, it's not about her class rank. I choose schools for her based on the quality of education she will receive, as well as the safety of the school, area, etc. As long as she's happy and I'm confident she's receiving a terrific education, that trumps whether or not she is inducted into an Honor's Society or graduates in the top 1% of her class.
It sounds like you're not really convinced that our schools will be up to your standards.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
It sounds like you're not really convinced that our schools will be up to your standards.
Not all of the Wake County schools are good, in my opinion. And some are excellent. Just like not all of the schools anywhere are good. There are towns even 20 min away from us that I don't think have the greatest schools. The Wake County system is confusing to an outsider who is used to buying a house, being zoned for a school, and attending that school. I posted asking for clarification, and a lot of people have been very helpful with that. However, yes, it's a little disheartening to think about spending more $ on a house because you like the area and the base schools, only to be told there's a cap and your child will have to attend a school 20+ min away, and possibly one you aren't thrilled with.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:25 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,850 times
Quote:
I just want her to have a good education, which is why we work hard to be able to send her to a top public school."
I totally get where you're coming from. But the difference here is there isn't a correlation between "working hard" and being "able to send" your child "to a top public school". At least not in the way I believe you mean it (hard work = good job = house in good school district = top ranked public school = good education).

Here, "working hard" to get your child a good education means doing a ton of research, learning how the assignment plans work, investigating magnet and charter options, learning how the magnet and charter applications work, learning about calendar options and how those applications work, learning about the leadership academies and the early colleges, etc, figuring out transportation options, and comparing them to your current base school options.

In my 9 years of experience in WCPSS (3 elementary schools and 2 middle schools), I've learned that if you find an elementary or middle school with "great" test scores, you will find a school that has a low percentage of economically disadvantaged students, a high percentage of Asian/Indian students and, most importantly, an administration that prioritizes EOGs (pep rallies for EOGs, PTA fundraisers paying for practice test books instead of a computer lab, etc). You'll also be limiting yourself to non-magnet schools if you go by test scores, which would be a shame. Because quite a few of them truly do offer a great education with more empowered administrators and teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary