Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:00 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times

Advertisements

As someone who lives within 5 minutes of Lassiter Mill and passes it multiple times a week, there's no "there" there. If you're staying right at Crossroads, then Yates Mill off Lake Wheeler Rd is within 20 minutes and worth seeing if you do go towards Fuquay or Clayton.

I would take an hour in the day to drive into Umstead off Glenwood and get out of the car for 30 minutes on a short hike.

As for a food truck rodeo or international festival, are they really for more, as a visitor, than to people watch/gawk for a couple hours? In other words, a visitor wouldn't go to the food trucks to try to sample 5 different "local" foods, but rather to see what you thought about the size of the crowd and the "average" makeup of attendees?

I don't recall where you're visiting from, or a house budget, but I agree the expectation was with the restaurants that you named, being a family of just 2, that your living area desires won't gravitate towards Fuquay, Holly Springs, or Clayton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 09:00 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingonamtntop View Post
Fyi the International Festival is at the convention center in downtown Raleigh.
YES Oh my, so sorry - Greenie I almost sent you in the wrong direction. Convention center downtown

Old 10-07-2015, 05:44 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
As someone who lives within 5 minutes of Lassiter Mill and passes it multiple times a week, there's no "there" there. If you're staying right at Crossroads, then Yates Mill off Lake Wheeler Rd is within 20 minutes and worth seeing if you do go towards Fuquay or Clayton.

I would take an hour in the day to drive into Umstead off Glenwood and get out of the car for 30 minutes on a short hike.

As for a food truck rodeo or international festival, are they really for more, as a visitor, than to people watch/gawk for a couple hours? In other words, a visitor wouldn't go to the food trucks to try to sample 5 different "local" foods, but rather to see what you thought about the size of the crowd and the "average" makeup of attendees?

I don't recall where you're visiting from, or a house budget, but I agree the expectation was with the restaurants that you named, being a family of just 2, that your living area desires won't gravitate towards Fuquay, Holly Springs, or Clayton.
If I'm not mistaken, housing budget is what made the Clayton,Fuquay etc...areas desirable. It will be interesting to see how our descriptions line up with Greenies perception of the area. #1 reason it's best to visit and look on your own and see how different each area is. Good Luck on your trip.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:56 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

I've got plenty of people watching where I'm from, that's not really what I'm interested in. I liked all the dancing photos I saw of the festival, interesting items for sale, food to sample.

I don't want you to get the idea that I did any sort of research on these restaurants, so I don't understand why those choices would preclude us from liking the areas I mentioned. I just saw pictures of food and the number of ratings and used it as a jumping off point. Are you saying those restaurants are pricey or more formal than what someone from Clayton would like? Do they only eat Chick Fil A in Clayton? lol

I live in Suffolk County on Long Island. I am a gardener and a 1/4 acre is just not enough for me. I think North Raleigh would be great, logistically in its proximity to highways, and a more urban feel just south and west but to be honest, I don't know if we could afford it. So Garner might be a better fit there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
If I'm not mistaken, housing budget is what made the Clayton,Fuquay etc...areas desirable. It will be interesting to see how our descriptions line up with Greenies perception of the area. #1 reason it's best to visit and look on your own and see how different each area is. Good Luck on your trip.
Absolutely. Lets say I'm looking at 350k houses. Speaking in generalities, for that price in Clayton, FV and like areas, you get a fairly new house on a large lot with lots of square footage. For that price in North Raleigh, you get a house from the 80s or 90s that hasn't been updated and on the smaller side.

We're leaving a lot of room to be surprised with what we find, and to completely change our minds. We have time on our side as well, and the ability to take mini vacations to back up our opinions. And also the possibility that we'll move down and decide it's not the area for us either.

It's scary and exciting. I'm really looking forward to our visit.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:22 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
You're coming this weekend? I'd skip the food truck rodeo - oh the lines! And go to the international festival instead. It's at the fairgrounds - think of it as a food stand rodeo :-D

There are lines, but there are so many food booths that it's not bad. GREAT food.

International Focus - 2015 INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
That's way too much for 3 days.

I'd skip the food rodeo - they are seriously crowded and have long, long lines which will take up much of your precious time.

I'd also skip Cowfish. There are far better alternatives. Consider Glenwood Grille, maybe. Save Umstead for another visit. Shame that you aren't going to Durham - I live in Raleigh, but like the vibe of Durham a lot. (But note, as a non-family person, no kids, I'm not enamored with Garner, Clayton, FV or Holly Springs.)
I don't mean to hijack the thread, though I will, if only for a moment.

The food truck scene offers some excellent food but after going that route a few times I've decided it's over-hyped and clearly not worth the often ridiculously long waits. Last Fall I volunteered for an event that was partnered with a food truck rodeo in RTP. People stood in line for up to thirty minutes waiting to be served. There was literally nothing offered there that I couldn't get somewhere else but with much quicker service.

And so, I just don't get why this remains so wildly popular. I do understand why it's great that a decent burger/taco/BBQ joint rolls up outside your office, but not if you have to spend more than half your lunch break waiting to be served.

In conclusion, regarding the original post, great strategy. Visiting often in advance of planning to relocate increases your chances that if done, the relo will be successful.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:06 AM

369 posts, read 460,324 times
What we are saying is if you like those type of restaurants you may not like Clayton , FV, Holly springs because those types of restaurants don't exist there or are few and far between.

Based on your budget/requirements and the activities/restaurants you listed I would look in Garner.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:54 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
I don't want you to get the idea that I did any sort of research on these restaurants, so I don't understand why those choices would preclude us from liking the areas I mentioned. I just saw pictures of food and the number of ratings and used it as a jumping off point. Are you saying those restaurants are pricey or more formal than what someone from Clayton would like? Do they only eat Chick Fil A in Clayton? lol
Yes, you will see a lot of that kind of silliness on this board. From Fuquay or Clayton, you can be in downtown Raleigh in about 20 minutes so lots of good food options close by. Actually Holly Springs now has 3 eateries that are as good as anything in the suburbs.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:12 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
That's exactly what I thought was implied when I read earlier this morning. Just didn't have time to be snarky .... it's like people feel if you live out this way ,you can't possibly enjoy or have interest in hip things like food trucks and greenways or festivals,lol. That's the negative stereotyping Garner,Clayton and other less prestigious towns suffered under for too long. I live in Garner and just in the last 6 months I've been to 5 Red Hat shows, BlueGrass festival,First Friday and the Imax twice. Not saying I'm a social queen but it's not like we are at the end of the world cause were not in Cary or ITB or North Hills.

Keep your plan for Gonza Taco, I like that place... Yes living in Garner I've managed to also eat way up there. I think the OP knows the shopping and restaurant options within those towns. It's been discussed quite a bit. I always try to give a realistic portrayal. Do I love Garner? No.. is it the closest thing I can find to living downtown Raleigh in my price range? Yep... Would I choose Cary if I could? Nope. Everything is subjective and one person's views will be very different from another's.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Yes, you will see a lot of that kind of silliness on this board. From Fuquay or Clayton, you can be in downtown Raleigh in about 20 minutes so lots of good food options close by. Actually Holly Springs now has 3 eateries that are as good as anything in the suburbs.
Downtown Raleigh from FV or Clayton in only 20 minutes? Maybe with no red lights, traffic or your home is located on the side of the highway.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:18 AM

I'm not saying people that live in those areas don't like to eat at nicer restaurants, or enjoy "hipper things" What I'm saying is why would you want to live all the way out there if you are going to be spending so much time in Raleigh. Seems silly to spend all that money on gas and time sitting in a car when there are options that fit their criteria/budget closer to the activities and restaurants listed.
Plus OP mentioned that their office may be in west Raleigh.

Sheesh some of y'all sure are defensive!

Last edited by sittingonamtntop; 10-07-2015 at 09:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary