Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 11:12 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin257 View Post
It's funny, I moved here from LI in April and most of the people I have met and work with are from the northeast (NJ, NY, New England) yet I find people here generally to be more friendly. Maybe they are less stressed? Maybe its the weather? Or maybe everyone is embracing southern charm?
It's good to know that people do mellow--that's really all we natives "ask" of transplants--don't bring your negative traits (and I think everybody knows what negative traits are associated with Long Islanders and NJ-ites) and I do suspect that many of them (being loud, overly confrontational, complaining...) are simply defense mechanisms that arise in such a huge urban, impersonal environment full of scammers and untrustworthy folks, and never mind the congestion and having to spend 2 hours a day in stop and go traffic. Remove that environment and the expectations that everyone has that "hard outer shell", and folks often do mellow out. I guess weather could have something to do with it, too--if I had to spend an hour shoveling snow just so I could sit in traffic for another hour and get to work and deal with people yelling and demanding, I'd want to get away, too, and relish the idea of being somewhere without all of the above.

Though of course, the more our population grows, the more those "urban traits" are creeping in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 11:22 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The first group are the ones who move wanting less congestion and then start squawking that there isn't a fancy grocery store within 10 miles of them that carries a particular Kosher brand only found in the Northeast ("and what do WE plan to do about it ?!?!?"). Don't be one of them.
Complaining/squawking does suck, but by all means bring he regional goodies. That's what makes an area better!!

Conversely, some change is good. Don't fight it.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:22 AM

610 posts, read 746,365 times
You should also include Southerners moving here in this thread. When I lived in Florida, the last few years that I was there, those moving from S. Florida were coming to N. Carolina. During my first spring here, I went to IMAX to see a movie, struck up a convo with a woman sitting next to me before the feature began, only to find out she had relocated here from the Fort Lauderdale area a few years before.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:06 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
SO very true. Uber-Rep. But unfortunately, we all see the posts from people determined to come here "because they want to get away from [where they live]" as opposed to "because I have researched NC and find that it's the best place for where I want to be".

The first group are the ones who move wanting less congestion and then start squawking that there isn't a fancy grocery store within 10 miles of them that carries a particular Kosher brand only found in the Northeast ("and what do WE plan to do about it ?!?!?"). Don't be one of them.
I would suspect that the majority of folks coming from the NE DO research the area before coming. I sure hope that you aren't making sweeping generalizations based off posters on a message board.

Also, I have yet to encounter a person, socially, as in "real life", not the internet, who spent more than a moment discussing a particular product that they can't find here. It's 2015, if you want something, it is relatively easy to access.

Please remove that chip on your shoulder.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:35 PM

913 posts, read 886,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I had read the article before. It is an interesting article.

My point was that you can live in NY or in NC and your FEDERAL tax rate won't change unless your income does.

So, the stuff about how NE "blue" states pay more than "red" states in the South is irrelevant when discussing an individual family's financial reasons for moving.

State taxes are ABSOLUTELY relevant, though.
It was definitely relevant to the poster I was responding to. Bottom line of the point I was making to him is the red states wind up paying less and often times profitting while the blue states pay for it. It is also relevant to the individual family because the state has to tax more to make up the difference in what the fed doesn't cover. More fed help = lower overall taxes. So you see the issues do tie in together.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:24 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post
You should also include Southerners moving here in this thread. When I lived in Florida, the last few years that I was there, those moving from S. Florida were coming to N. Carolina. During my first spring here, I went to IMAX to see a movie, struck up a convo with a woman sitting next to me before the feature began, only to find out she had relocated here from the Fort Lauderdale area a few years before.
But a huge number of those ins South Florida come from the Northeast, first. Was this woman a FTL native, or a "half-back"?

Old 10-08-2015, 03:43 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post
Did someone say Publix?

Old 10-08-2015, 05:22 PM

814 posts, read 911,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Hah! And again.... Hah!

I'm no bagel snob, not even close. But there's more than a fine line between Thomas/Lenders and a legitimate, good bagel. Actually, it's more like a chasm of near epic proportions. I can (and have) made a strong argument that Brueggers makes about as good a bagel as anything I grew up with in NYC. But mass distribution and frozen bagels? No, nope, no way. Stating that "Lenders bagels aren't bad" in relation to a good bagel is the same as saying "DiGiorno's pizza isn't bad" in relation to a legitimate slice of pizza.

And I always thought Waldbaums was closer to Food Lion. Actually, whenever I walk into most Food Lions it makes me nostalgic for my childhood when my parents would go grocery shopping every Wednesday and it was a major event in our lives. Key Food always seemed little better than a corner bodega to me.
Well here in Charlotresville we have a Bodos Bagels, to me I guess I never was much of a bagel snob either.

What is harder to find down south is the infamous black and white cookie.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:49 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
I would suspect that the majority of folks coming from the NE DO research the area before coming. I sure hope that you aren't making sweeping generalizations based off posters on a message board.

Also, I have yet to encounter a person, socially, as in "real life", not the internet, who spent more than a moment discussing a particular product that they can't find here. It's 2015, if you want something, it is relatively easy to access.
I do find it odd how when someone states they want to move to the area, some people assume they have never previously researched anything and that they are only going by what people say on the forum.

Why that assumption for some? Most people are not going to include a disclaimer with every post, stating all the other places they received knowledge from. They simply post a statement or question here, wanting useful responses.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:52 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
As long as you do not talk about the "pitfalls" of their version of what they call BBQ (vinegar ), then all will be okay. Apparently discussing other types of BBQ are what they consider fighting words......LOL!

Other than that, we found the southerners there to be very welcoming.
FYI, Eastern NC BBQ, is vinegar, salt, hot pepper and sugar based because those were the only spices available at the time that portion of NC was settled. Tomatoes were not even grown anywhere in the South until 1750 and mostly for ornamental.

As tomatoes moved from ornamental/poison to a cultivated vegetable settlers moved farther West and was added to sauces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary