Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 06:50 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times

Advertisements

The past week or so I have noticed a LOT of new faces here on R&P. Why do you think this might be? Why does there suddenly seem to be an elevated interest in Religious Debate and Discussion? Could it have something to do with the economy? I've always heard that in tough times God is a top seller, for obvious reasons, at least to me. Or, could it be brought on by the recent media coverage in the news regarding religious rights and freedoms?

What are your thoughts?

Also, introduction thread to all of you newcomers. Feel free to tell us your backgrounds in religion and so forth so that we might get to know you a bit better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 07:14 PM

27,581 posts, read 28,693,962 times
I think it's perhaps because we (in the U.S.) are reaching a tipping point when it comes to religion. On the one hand, more and more people are sensing that a God is not needed any longer to explain much of anything in the universe. On the other hand, people are not sure what values are right or wrong anymore because of the growing secularism in society. And yet they seek some kind of stability in values and moral guidance.

So, there's a growing interest in religion and philosophy.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:33 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
There has also been a rash of what are likely not new people, just people with a second or third account under a different name. Evident in the fact their accounts are now dormant, and their status shows as "not a member".

Now who would do that?

Old 02-28-2012, 07:53 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,627,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
There has also been a rash of what are likely not new people, just people with a second or third account under a different name. Evident in the fact their accounts are now dormant, and their status shows as "not a member".

Now who would do that?
Yeah this is probably true in a lot of cases. Could be trolls in disguise too so poster beware. I ran into one just recently. I've been here since 2006 and it always comes in waves as far as what is being discussed and newbies coming in. I don't think there is any real reason to believe that the R&P is being inundated with newbies, it's just another wave. And btw, having two or three screen names isn't against the TOS. What's not supposed to happen is people getting kicked off and then coming back with another name, those are usually the trolls.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:10 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,226,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Yeah this is probably true in a lot of cases. Could be trolls in disguise too so poster beware. I ran into one just recently. I've been here since 2006 and it always comes in waves as far as what is being discussed and newbies coming in. I don't think there is any real reason to believe that the R&P is being inundated with newbies, it's just another wave. And btw, having two or three screen names isn't against the TOS. What's not supposed to happen is people getting kicked off and then coming back with another name, those are usually the trolls.
True. Since they usually just change their user name and not their writing style, it's fairly easy to pick them out too.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:16 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
. And btw, having two or three screen names isn't against the TOS. .
Yes Ilene it is. Having multiple accts. is against the ToS of C-D. I'm kinda in a hurry now or I would look it up for you.

Anyway, these multiple accts. are commonly refered to as sockpuppets in forum talk.

Sockpuppets-Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia

Old 02-28-2012, 08:23 PM

511 posts, read 491,776 times
Nah...It's just a curiosity.
We'll move on once total boredom sets in.
Based on the repetitive rants in here...shouldn't be long.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:33 PM

61 posts, read 72,633 times
I'm a new person. I've been in enough religious and philosophical forums to know that giving away things about your past or past beliefs will only come back to haunt you later. It's better that people have a clean slate so that they have no bases on which to judge your posts by because they will judge your posts. My name is WordClock and everything you need to know about me you can read here after I post it, everything else is irrelevant.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:54 PM

8,566 posts, read 10,989,435 times
People just need to vent sometimes, and religion historically has been a controversial subject open to all kinds of interpretation.
People like to exchange ideas and philosophy.
Bob.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:26 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

Now who would do that?
And I think a new one appeared about an hour ago, and already over 24 posts, many in R&P and C

Edit: Their status is now "Not a Member"

Last edited by Asheville Native; 02-29-2012 at 06:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality