Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2008, 10:05 AM

4 posts, read 11,800 times

Advertisements

I wanted to reach out to see if anyone in RTP regularly commutes to the DC area. I am moving down to RTP in the next 60 days with my company and they are asking me to come back up to DC twice a month. I am interested to know what the commute is like and how long in typically takes.

Thanks for responding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 10:12 AM

92 posts, read 369,565 times
Depends on what traffic is like and what area of DC you're going to. Usually 4.5 to 5.5 hours.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:12 AM

551 posts, read 1,875,795 times
I haven't commuted but have gone back and forth a lot. Without traffic, depending on your exact location both places, it is about a 4 1/2 hour drive. However, the traffic situation on I-95 is always iffy though. The flight is about an hour so if your company will pay for you to fly, that isn't so bad.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:05 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
Depending on what part of DC you're travelling to, Amtrak might also be an option. Its no faster than a car, but at least you can spend your transit time productively.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:08 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times
Takes me 4 hours even to get from Raleigh (Leesville area) to Fairfax, VA (15 miles west of DC). Twice a month you could hack it, but hopefully they compensate you fairly for it.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:43 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Amtrak takes about 6 hours.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:28 PM

146 posts, read 691,197 times
I agree with what other people have said - depends on where you're starting from in NC, and where in DC you're going to. The shortest you can get (without breaking too many laws) is about 4 hours.
My husband and I live in Cary, but we both kept our DC-area jobs (in Tysons and Merrifield), so we usually end up going up there at least every month or two. If your company is going to be reimbursing you for your miles, I'd definitely look into the flying option. If you can get by without having to rent a car when you're in DC, you can usually find a plane ticket for about the same cost as they'd end up paying for your miles (assuming they go by the gov. GSA rate). That would save you a LOT of headaches on 95, and it would be no more cost to your company.

Also, you can usually avoid most of the traffic if you travel during the right hours in the winter. But during the summer, it's almost impossible to get around the beach traffic in VA - it's been known to turn that 4 hour trip into close to 7 hours.

Oh, and we also tried Amtrak once. If you don't run into any delays, it's acceptable (takes longer than driving, but at least you can do work during that time). But that's certainly no guarantee. Our return trip ended up taking us 10 hours! And it's not even a cheap option... I don't think we'll be trying that again.

Last edited by MrsBTA; 01-30-2008 at 01:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary