Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 08:04 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
Do you think it would pass?
You didn't mention tires and that is an important factor. "Get up and go" is not.

Is the car registered and insured? If not, you are at risk when driving it to the inspection station.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 08:54 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
You didn't mention tires and that is an important factor. "Get up and go" is not.

Is the car registered and insured? If not, you are at risk when driving it to the inspection station.

Tires are good. It's insured but not registered. I was just reading up on that too; apparently I can get a temporary registration so it can be driven to the inspection station.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:30 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,787 times
I'm not sure it's the state that benefits (does anyone here know for certain if there is any routing of that revenue or tax implications etc?), more likely a political barter w corporate/state/local biz advocates/lobbyists, a footnote meant to create revenue/upsell opportunities as part of a larger agreement.

Our income is all for sale to the highest bidder

Old 10-18-2015, 02:19 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
I have an older car that's been sitting in our garage for 5 years, not registered or licensed. I took it down the block about a month ago to see if it still worked (it did). I didn't think it would pass inspection but just haven't gotten around to making a final decision to get rid of it or not. However, now I'm reading this and thinking maybe it would pass. It's a 1992 vehicle so it would only have to the safety inspection, right? It looks like a junker with no hubcaps and a lot of rust, but lights, brakes, wipers, etc. are fine. I think (not sure) that it may be operating on 3 cylinders instead of 4 as it doesn't have much "get up and go". Do you think it would pass?
Sounds like it would pass.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:05 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
I'm not sure it's the state that benefits (does anyone here know for certain if there is any routing of that revenue or tax implications etc?), more likely a political barter w corporate/state/local biz advocates/lobbyists, a footnote meant to create revenue/upsell opportunities as part of a larger agreement.

Our income is all for sale to the highest bidder
From a Charlotte Observer article a few years ago:

"North Carolina's program endures with support from businesses that profit from it, politicians who are friends of the auto industry and a bureaucracy sustained by more than $30 million it collects each year."

and

"Critics point to the $106 million a year motorists spend on safety inspection fees and question the results. Of those fees, garages keep about $99 million for their work."

and

"Auto owners pay $13.60 for safety inspections, with $12.75 going to the garage. The state gets the other 85 cents.

In counties where emissions tests are required, including Mecklenburg, motorists pay up to $30 for the safety and emissions inspections. Garages usually keep $23.75, and the state collects $6.25."

Read more here: Inconsistency and cheating weaken vehicle inspections | The Charlotte Observer

Old 10-20-2015, 08:54 PM

63 posts, read 98,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
Consider a shop that does only inspections. These people have always treated me right.
http://www.apexinspectioncenter.com/

Thanks for the inspection center tip. I had the safety inspection done for my car for $13.60. He says till March/2016, it was flat $30 for all kinds of inspection and recently DMV updated the cost of safety vs emission inspection. But still some auto shops like my Honda dealer is charing old rate for safety inspection also

Old 10-20-2015, 09:04 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njking View Post
But still some auto shops like my Honda dealer is charing old rate for safety inspection also
If they're not doing an emissions inspection and yet still charging $30, they need to be reported. The maximum amount they can charge is regulated, and for a safety inspection only, it's $13.60.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: