Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 01:51 PM

663 posts, read 1,618,610 times

Advertisements

For Kids especially - is there an option for fresh cow's milk? I am guess grass-fed organic milk isn't the same as fresh milk.

I came across this. There is a membership & lot of instructions... Is anyone using this?

Home page

Last edited by gcretro; 10-29-2015 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 02:41 PM

530 posts, read 637,257 times
Raw milk sales are technically illegal in NC. These places have to provide it for "animal use only"

The Indy had a nice article about it http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/dri...nt?oid=1202527

Old 10-29-2015, 03:07 PM

hmmm

So is grass fed milk that's sold in like wholefood better?

Old 10-29-2015, 03:10 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Maple View, Ran-Lew and Homeland are local dairies. The milk is "fresh", but not raw. Raw means unpasteurized. Ran-Lew is unhomogenized (cream separates and rises to the top), but is pasteurized according to NC law.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:08 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Buy your own milk cow. Then you can have all the raw milk you want.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:51 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
hmmm

So is grass fed milk that's sold in like wholefood better?
Yes.

Do some research, and don't feed your children cow $#!+. Listeria, Salmonella, Giardia...Nasty stuff.

I know, I know, they drank raw milk on the farm back then, and were fine, but they didn't wear seatbelts back then, either, or do a whole lot of other things that people do now for their own safety.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:14 AM

644 posts, read 841,645 times
What is your reason for drinking milk from grass-fed cows? Are you aware of the various pathogens that reside in the guts of cows?

Old 10-30-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
What is your reason for drinking milk from grass-fed cows? Are you aware of the various pathogens that reside in the guts of cows?
That does not even begin to make sense! Cows are meant to eat grass. The milk does not get contaminated with pathogens inside the cow. It's once the cow is milked that the milk can come into contact with potentially problematic bacteria. That's why they pasteurize it. But ALL cows should eat grass. Would you prefer milk from cows crowded into feedlots and dairy barns being feed things like corn that they aren't designed to eat and standing knee deep in manure? Very gross and much more prone to bacterial contamination.

GCretro, just buy the Maple View Milk in the glass bottles. It's available all over the Triangle in many grocery stores. Harris Teeter usually stocks it. They're good folks. You can go visit their farm outside Chapel Hill in Orange County if you want to get a look at their cows and the green grass they eat. Get some ice-cream from their country store.

http://mapleviewfarm.com

Old 10-30-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

GCretro, just buy the Maple View Milk in the glass bottles. It's available all over the Triangle in many grocery stores. Harris Teeter usually stocks it. They're good folks. You can go visit their farm outside Chapel Hill in Orange County if you want to get a look at their cows and the green grass they eat. Get some ice-cream from their country store.

Maple View Farm
Thanks! Glad to know it's available in harris teeter. Wonder why glass bottles?

Old 10-30-2015, 10:18 AM

I believe you pay a deposit on the glass bottle and then you can return it to the store and get money back on it. I don't actually buy it at HT so I'm not sure how they work that, but where I buy (Weaver Street Market) that's how they do it. They collect the bottles and then Maple View comes and gets them and sterilizes them and reuses them. I won't swear that it's in the Raleigh HTs, but I know the ones in Chapel Hill carry it. Whole Foods should have it, too. It's pretty widely distributed in the Triangle. Food Lion may have it.

ETA: their website says that the HTs in Cameron Village and North Raleigh have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary