Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 09:24 PM

87 posts, read 129,280 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to do research on relocating to North Carolina -

A realtor recently told us that in North Carolina unlike other states you DO NOT own

the property under your home all the way down -

and so someone can "frack" from afar directly under under home for resources..

Is this true? I'm searching online but not finding clear answers?

Your help is greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 09:37 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
mineral rights are its own part of law there is nothing state wide to my knowledge but i would expect common practice a subdivision the builder or hoa to have minreal rights

Old 07-14-2018, 10:50 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Not at all unique to NC. There's been such a hue and cry over it that in some cases builders have returned severed mineral rights to homeowners.

Fracking in urban/suburban areas around here seems pretty unlikely at this point.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...9980AZ20131009

Old 07-15-2018, 04:36 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
You should know whether or not you will receive the oil, gas, and mineral rights prior to writing an offer.

This is a mandatory disclosure from sellers, with few exceptions:
https://www.ncrec.gov/Forms/Consumer/rec425.pdf
After contract, status of ownership of those resources should be checked as part of the title work by your closing attorney.

Ownership of oil, gas, mineral, timber, or other harvestable resources separate from owning the surface rights of the land is common throughout the U.S.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:41 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Its not as clear cut, of course, as simply "someone can "frack from afar directly under under home for resources".

Current law states that fracking can only occur on a site of at least 640 acres, or one square mile. The owners of at least 90% of that 640 acres (by area) must voluntarily lease their land for fracking, and if the do, the other 10% can be forced to allow it.

So, in addition to the very small chance you'd ever be affected by that, the state entity that oversees fracking permits has been ruled unconstitutional. Plus, the amount of gas in NC is so small as to not even be close to economically viable.

This is such a remote possibility wouldn't worry about it.

Compulsory Pooling in NC May Bring Fracking To Your Backyard – Environmental Storytelling
https://carolinapublicpress.org/27699/27699/

Old 07-15-2018, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Not at all unique to NC. There's been such a hue and cry over it that in some cases builders have returned severed mineral rights to homeowners.

Fracking in urban/suburban areas around here seems pretty unlikely at this point.

DR Horton made the news big time, and not in a good way, when they were forced to return M.O.G. rights to over 1,000 NC home buyers after closing.
It is not unreasonable to conclude that they were attempting to assemble a pool and that owners could have had the shale under their homes fracked.

That prompted the NC General Assembly to create and mandate the disclosure in the link in my post above.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:29 AM

87 posts, read 129,280 times
Quote:

This is an excellent article -- Wow this is happening across the country!!!

Old 07-15-2018, 06:48 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:

That article was eye-opening. I live near Legend Oaks in Chapel Hill (Chatham County) which was mentioned in the article, and I don't recall ever hearing about it in the news. Thanks for sharing it.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:44 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
I admit I'm ignorant on this topic (and can't imagine that I'll ever think of it again after this thread).

But what the OP is worried about is true in at least 14 other states? Aren't there more to come?

Is this really a reason to not move to North Carolina?

Disclosure absolutely SHOULD be legally required. And before you hit the closing table. It seems to me that NC would be even more attractive to a potential buyer because they HAVE already enacted that requirement (haven't they?))

What am I missing here (beyond the obvious shady dealings of some developers.)?

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 07-15-2018 at 07:56 AM..

Old 07-15-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I admit I'm ignorant on this topic (and can't imagine that I'll ever think of it again after this thread).

But isn't what UP is worried about true in many other states, too? And aren't there more to come?

I'd this really a reason to not move to North Carolina?
Well, the OP had better be careful anywhere in coal country, or buying land with trees on it, or stone under it. In any state.

The lateral drilling and fracking and legalities of forced pooling of gas and oil reserves do create and interesting issue, but it is much more prevalent in gas and oil country. Texas. Oklahoma. And, Pennsylvania with the rich Marcellus Shale reserves that have been fracked for several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary