Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 09:13 AM

634 posts, read 913,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvinegal View Post
Yes I know it's not hard to find a notary but I don't see how I can get it notarized in advance of the sale when I haven't made the sale yet. It's just a potential sale. The new buyer would have to be present I'd assume (at the notary) ... To ensure that the sale is taking place.
No, the buyer(s) do NOT have to be present when you have your signatures notarized on the titles. As wheelsup said, "It's to show that the person who signed the title is really that person."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 09:45 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
Sign over the title, issue a bill of sale signed by both parties that describe what buyer is buying and buyer is buying car as is and no refund.

Remove plates and send them in and then cancel insurance - important to do it that way.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:45 AM

376 posts, read 1,062,620 times
Thanks NCRKD. That makes it make more sense that I notarize it before meeting with the potential buyer. I just couldn't figure out how to make it work logistically as I really don't want to hook up the trailer when the sale is settled just to go hunt for a notary.
By TAGS, do you mean the license plate? Can anyone explain how it's legal to drive a vehicle/trailer on the road with NO plate (as that's what the buyer would need to do, right?)

Old 11-09-2015, 09:54 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
Quote:
Thanks NCRKD. That makes it make more sense that I notarize it before meeting with the potential buyer. I just couldn't figure out how to make it work logistically as I really don't want to hook up the trailer when the sale is settled just to go hunt for a notary.
By TAGS, do you mean the license plate? Can anyone explain how it's legal to drive a vehicle/trailer on the road with NO plate (as that's what the buyer would need to do, right?)
Up to buyer to get insurance and plates, not the seller. Car dealers charge several hundred dollars for that service in many states.

You don't need a notary. If you are concerned have both bills of sale signed by a witness.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:54 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Quote:
Once the buyer applies for a new title at the DMV, he/she can obtain a license plate for the vehicle. He/she can then affix license plate to the vehicle and drive it home.

Sometimes, buyers will bring a license plate from another vehicle and put it on the vehicle they just purchased. Not legal, but only an issue if you somehow get caught.

Yes tag = license plate.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:24 AM

201 posts, read 190,164 times
Quote:
Can anyone explain how it's legal to drive a vehicle/trailer on the road with NO plate (as that's what the buyer would need to do, right?)
If you go to the license plate office with the buyer and your title you can get it all done at once and the buyer can get their plates. It's really a simple process.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:33 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Yes I know it's not hard to find a notary but I don't see how I can get it notarized in advance of the sale when I haven't made the sale yet. It's just a potential sale. The new buyer would have to be present I'd assume (at the notary) ... To ensure that the sale is taking place.
Most banks have notaries. I always meet at the buyer's bank, where they get a certified check to hand to me. That way, I know the check is good. We get the title notarized at the same time.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:00 PM

Thanks for all the great advice! (fyi - the notary IS required; it says so on the Title Transfer form and on the DMV website... just saying this because a few replies said notary not necessary.) Maybe it's a new requirement.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:07 PM

One more question... and it's an important one: If you don't go with the buyer to transfer the title together officially at the DMV, what happens if the buyer drops the ball and doesn't file the title transfer? Someone could buy your vehicle, you do all the paperwork properly at the time of sale, but then that buyer takes his sweet time to actually file it? (and maybe gets into an accident and your name is still on the title...) In North Carolina, is there a form that the seller can file themselves that releases the seller from liability after the sale? In California, there is a form exactly for that purpose. It takes the "what if?" out of the scenario. Most people just don't have the time to wait in long lines at the DMV to accompany the buyer.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:13 PM

258 posts, read 673,100 times
In the old days the notary was to witness the signatures between Seller AND buyer

they changed it a few years ago and now only the notary witnesses the "sellers" signature and buyer no longer needs to be present. this is referred to as an "open title"

Its not that hard...i deal in boats...and quite often I will buy from one person, have the title notarized, and then when I finish the restoration i pass that title to the new owner and I have never signed or applied my name to anything...I see no reason to pay the state extra $$ just to turn around and sell something...not to mention waiting weeks for a title..

It's not that hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary