Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 06:38 AM

376 posts, read 1,062,084 times

Advertisements

This is my first time to sell and buy a vehicle here (NOT thru a dealer). I've learned the process is different depending on the state. So for those of you who have done private party sales, I'd appreciate your advice. I have looked online and have not seen the answers to all my questions.

- for Utility Trailers: I'm planning on selling mine. How do I sign over the title to the new buyer? I looked online and it talks about the need for a Bill of Sale and that you have to get it notarized. Really? I know I have to sign over the Title. Is that the same thing? But get it notarized? I wasn't planning on having to find a notary with the potential new buyer of my utility trailer.

- For cars: My daughter will be getting her first (used) car soon. Same basic question here too. Does the seller and buyer have to go together to find a notary?

- The vehicle license plate: in both cases above, there's a license plate. Even the trailer has one (a multi-year plate). In the state I used to live, the plate stayed with the car. In NC it seems the plate stays with the person and you have to turn it in to DMV? I see even used cars with temporary "paper" license "plates". Is that only if you buy a used car from a dealer? Like I said, in other states this process is handled differently. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm sure I may be quite wrong. I would assume that when you sell a vehicle though that the plates would have to remain affixed on the vehicle. It needs plates to be legal. So how does this process work??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 06:50 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,378,220 times
NCDOT: Title Transfer

Old 11-09-2015, 06:52 AM

634 posts, read 912,687 times
I believe in your two sales cases the buyer does not have to be present during the notarization, however all of the "owners" do. I'd hold off pre-filling any of the information till you are with the notary.

You retain the plates, and if you're not planning on using them for the next or replacement vehicle, you turn them in. Remember in NC, the license and title / plate bureaus are separate places.

Last edited by ncdust; 11-09-2015 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: deleted dmv.org link

Old 11-09-2015, 07:01 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
You can just go to a local UPS store for notary services. $10.00.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:04 AM

Unfortunately that link doesn't provide all the info I'm seeking, such as regarding my question about the plates.

It was from that site that I first saw that forms need notarization. Wasn't a necessity in the old days of my last private party sale (in another state). That's why I asked for advice here. I want to make sure I'm understanding the process correctly.

It's just a utility trailer. So how do I do that? It's in storage. The potential buyer is coming to see it this week. Do I have to hook the darn thing up to my truck JUST to drive it to a notary? (with the new buyer following us in their vehicle). Seems like a real hassle for a simple purchase.

Also, what about the plates?

Old 11-09-2015, 07:07 AM

Isn't it illegal to have a vehicle on the road without a license plate or one of those temporary paper plates?

Old 11-09-2015, 07:10 AM

Yes I know it's not hard to find a notary but I don't see how I can get it notarized in advance of the sale when I haven't made the sale yet. It's just a potential sale. The new buyer would have to be present I'd assume (at the notary) ... To ensure that the sale is taking place.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:39 AM

201 posts, read 189,956 times
When I sold a trailer years ago the buyer and I went to the license plate office together. They will do the notary there. You may want to call them and make sure this is still the case. You should only need the title for your trailer.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:05 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
The point of the notary is to protect the seller. It's to show that the person who signed the title is really that person. The notary is just signing that you are who you are. When selling a car I sign the title over without filling any of the new owners info in before I even post it for sale, as it removes one hassle from the process. All you have to do is collect the money and hand the title to the buyer. You can fill in the buyer info if they want or have them do it but it's not necessary. Take your tags off and the car is theirs....

You're making it really complicated.

Most banks have notarization services for free if you have an account there. I know Bank of America does.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:11 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The point of the notary is to protect the seller. It's to show that the person who signed the title is really that person. The notary is just signing that you are who you are. When selling a car I sign the title over without filling any of the new owners info in before I even post it for sale, as it removes one hassle from the process. All you have to do is collect the money and hand the title to the buyer. You can fill in the buyer info if they want or have them do it but it's not necessary. Take your tags off and the car is theirs....

You're making it really complicated.

Most banks have notarization services for free if you have an account there. I know Bank of America does.
My credit union, SECU, notarizes free for members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary