Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 06:16 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
It is the pets that run unleashed in the neighborhood that is the problem. HOA or not. Law enforcement will also move in if homeowner neglects pets inside or outside and in HOA's and not HOA's. Keep your 7 cats healthy and clean and inside and you will not have a problem if you own the home. Rental property may be different depending on the owner's rules not HOA rules.
Exactly. Really, no HOA I've heard of around here is going to even know how many indoor cats you have, much less complain (at least single family). It's when they are outside it becomes an issue. Most of the counties in the area, the leash law applies to cats and dogs, so it should be no issue for you as your cats will not be roaming at large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 07:44 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
OP, have you considered contacting some of the rescue groups in the area? They might have some information. It's worth a shot. One that comes to mind is Calvin's Paws.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:53 AM

19,439 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Interesting! Of course, I've never had more than 3 pets at once, either. I'm doubtful that anyone would care about the number of cats anyone keeps inside their house unless the cats disturb people OUTDOORS or they have neighbors over to a filthy house that reeks of litterbox.

I could see someone being pissed over lots of dogs, though.
HOA's have rules about the maximum number of pets to eliminate (or at least minimize) the risk of hoarding, setting up a mass breeding, or rescue organization in the neighborhood. People can and do let these situations get out of control and HOA's need a legal groundwork to deal with it IF NECESSARY.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:48 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
HOA's have rules about the maximum number of pets to eliminate (or at least minimize) the risk of hoarding, setting up a mass breeding, or rescue organization in the neighborhood. People can and do let these situations get out of control and HOA's need a legal groundwork to deal with it IF NECESSARY.
I suppose, but of the three homes in three different neighborhoods that we own in Cary, none has rules for the number of indoor pets.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:22 AM

19,439 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I suppose, but of the three homes in three different neighborhoods that we own in Cary, none has rules for the number of indoor pets.

As I said, the cases that I knew of were in Phoenix Metro where it was a fairly common HOA rule. Maybe this area hasn't had the issue - yet. I actually don't think my own HOA has a rule about this, but does exclude outdoor off leash pets, including cats.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
As I said, the cases that I knew of were in Phoenix Metro where it was a fairly common HOA rule. Maybe this area hasn't had the issue - yet. I actually don't think my own HOA has a rule about this, but does exclude outdoor off leash pets, including cats.
This may change over time here. Depends on how many people try to run puppy mills out of their houses, probably.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,876 times
Thanks for all the feedback. In my relatively short time house hunting, nearly every home in an HOA that I've looked at has 2 pet maximums. Could be these are simply the areas with recent growth or home turnover. And the vast majority of homes on the market are in those areas, at least from recent searches.

I am starting to look at older homes that aren't in HOAs, as suggested. Not sure I want the suburbia experience, nor overlords telling me what kind of blinds I can have in windows, anyways.

The main criteria are nice kitchen, 3+ br, 2+ bath, safe neighborhood. Close access to trails or greenways a big plus, as well as a sane commute to RTP. Budget is 200k (give or take a little depending on work needed).

And yes, these are all indoor cats and they are all very well cared for (most are special needs kitties).

Old 01-04-2016, 02:24 PM

22 posts, read 26,244 times
I just want to be honest and I want you to know that I am not trying to hurt your feelings. You must be a very caring pet owner and you are probably doing a great deed with some special needs cats. Takes a caring person to do so!

However, most people will view 7 cats a lot of cats and abnormal. If I were your neighbor, I would not want to know that and I probably wouldn't want to come over to your house. Nothing against you, I just don't want to be surrounded by that many cats. I think somewhere that doesn't have a HOA is probably the place for you.

In my opinion most people who pay into a HOA want to avoid living next to someone that has that amount of cats. The perception that the house has that many cats is not a positive perception. HOA's want to retain/increase property values and someone with a lot of cats or pets sometimes can hurt the value of a property whether right or wrong.

Good luck with your search. You may want to find a buyers agent in the area as your situation is unique. They can probably quickly find neighborhoods without HOA's or find suitable HOA's that allow that many pets that also will meet your budget and search criteria. It will not be easy, so if it were me; I'd enlist the help of a Buyer's Agent to guide you with this process.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:36 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejimster View Post
However, most people will view 7 cats a lot of cats and abnormal. If I were your neighbor, I would not want to know that and I probably wouldn't want to come over to your house. Nothing against you, I just don't want to be surrounded by that many cats. I think somewhere that doesn't have a HOA is probably the place for you.
On the list of things that make my neighbors abnormal, 7 indoor cats I'd never have to come into contact with would be way, way down the list. And even then it wouldn't necessarily be a negative thing.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
On the list of things that make my neighbors abnormal, 7 indoor cats I'd never have to come into contact with would be way, way down the list. And even then it wouldn't necessarily be a negative thing.
Agreed. Depends on the size of the house. That many in a 1-br apt is odd.

That many in a 3-4 br house is not so odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary