Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 06:39 AM

133 posts, read 331,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Boy - I'm still trying to get used to the fact that people here find anything over a 5 minute drive too long. We are spoiled.

I couldn't have said it better myself and have said similar things myself about how anyone around here having to "drive" is so put out......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 07:44 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPPWUS View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself and have said similar things myself about how anyone around here having to "drive" is so put out......
This is because you didn't grow up and/or live here for the last 20 years or so having a short drive to all conveniences. If you had, you'd dislike the longer drives, too.

Like I said, it's all what you're used to.

I'm sure that if my work commute was reduced from 2 hours each way to 30 minutes each way, I'd think it was pure bliss, but I have enough empathy to realize that people who used to get to work in 5-10 minutes that now have to drive for 30-40 minutes are inconvenienced by this.

Perhaps they used to enjoy breakfast with their spouse. Maybe they used to work out in the AM. Maybe they took their kids to school every day and liked that routine. Maybe they feel like they are suddenly out an hour of their day that used to be spent on enjoyable activities, not driving and stuck in traffic.

See my point?

Old 01-06-2016, 07:52 AM

43,267 posts, read 77,063,738 times
I like to be able to go home for lunch when I want to, without losing 55 minutes of an hour to driving.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I like to be able to go home for lunch when I want to, without losing 55 minutes of an hour to driving.
Yeah... right now my husband can get home from work in less than 10 minutes. We shortened that by about 5 minutes when we moved.

Which means that lunches can be done (since I WFH). If that grew to a 30-minute drive, this would be a pointless endeavor, so that'd be out.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:00 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb3589 View Post
I've said it before in other road-related threads, but this is the main issue in this area. Many of the congested roads that need widening/upgrading in Morrisville/West Cary are maintained by NCDOT, for better or for worse. Personally, I think the state is responsible for far too many roads, and many of them should be maintained by the towns. It may have made sense when this was a sparsely populated area (West Cary, specifically) that was unincorporated, but I feel like NCDOT should turn over many of these main thoroughfares over to the towns.
I don't disagree, I was just pointing out the current lay of the land. NC has one of the highest, if not THE highest number of miles of state owned roads in the country. That's why (and yes, it was a long time ago) we were once called a "Good Roads State". And given all the things you mentioned, I agree that maybe it's time for the municipalities to take over the maintenance of some roads. However, I can't see towns and cities jumping at this because it'd put a significant damper on local budgets. Road maintenance and improvement isn't cheap at all and if you've only ever had to pay a small percentage or nothing at all it's a big leap to paying the whole cost.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:02 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
Being able to go home for lunch is definitely key. But that has nothing to do with requiring that every amenity on earth is available within a <5 minute drive of your house

I do get though that it's a matter of what you're used to. We came from a place where everything was a 20-30 minute drive. Now 20 minutes seems long. And that's a great thing.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Being able to go home for lunch is definitely key. But that has nothing to do with requiring that every amenity on earth is available within a <5 minute drive of your house

I do get though that it's a matter of what you're used to. We came from a place where everything was a 20-30 minute drive. Now 20 minutes seems long. And that's a great thing.
Yeah. It's sorta silly to expect that everything you'd EVER want be so close by. I think those people need a job on the Starship Enterprise.

Holodecks.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:23 AM

5,324 posts, read 3,206,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
NC has one of the highest, if not THE highest number of miles of state owned roads in the country. That's why (and yes, it was a long time ago) we were once called a "Good Roads State". And given all the things you mentioned, I agree that maybe it's time for the municipalities to take over the maintenance of some roads. However, I can't see towns and cities jumping at this because it'd put a significant damper on local budgets. Road maintenance and improvement isn't cheap at all and if you've only ever had to pay a small percentage or nothing at all it's a big leap to paying the whole cost.
According to wikipedia, NC has the largest state maintained road system. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...Highway_System

Reading further it looks like it is because there are no county maintained roads in this state. Look around at all of the unincorporated areas in the Triangle alone and you can see that adds up quickly!

Old 01-06-2016, 10:30 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
According to wikipedia, NC has the largest state maintained road system. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...Highway_System

Reading further it looks like it is because there are no county maintained roads in this state. Look around at all of the unincorporated areas in the Triangle alone and you can see that adds up quickly!
Thanks for checking that fact, I didn't want to assert that NC was the largest but thought it might be.

Yep, no county maintained roads and very few municipally maintained ones. Raleigh has a few, plus the alleys in some residential areas (mostly downtown) and recently Apex took over part of one of their main streets IIRC but it doesn't happen that often. I think Charlotte also has a number, probably more than Raleigh, of city streets but when you compare the total owned by NCDOT to those owned by "others" the difference is staggering.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:38 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,572,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
When Twin Lakes was being built and started telling people that it was in West Cary, many of us were confused. We all KNOW that portion of Wake County is really Morrisville.

However, years ago, no one wanted to live in Morrisville. Nothing there except the airport, industry and farm land.

But, call it West Cary and they will come!

That's why, over ten years ago, they changed my Morrisville 27560 zip to Cary 27519

It worked. They came, I left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary