Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 09:21 AM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
We fly frequently during the summer so many times I get a "pass" on taking my shoes off. If it bothered me enough, I could go through RDU screening process to be on that list all the time but instead of pitching a fit, I just FOLLOW THE RULES!
Vicki - I assume you mean TSA Pre-Check? If so, I hate to let you know but the days of getting random 'passes' are gone. They've just changed the rules and the only way you can get pre-check is to be signed up for it. I finally gave in and went though the screening. Turned out it was a lot less painful than expect. In my case I was in and out within 15 mins. Worth noting, if you have an Amex card they'll pickup the $85 tab. I also understand it makes the Global Entry program an easier process if you find yourself traveling overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 09:21 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
I also got a wierd vibe that these folks from San Diego might just think they are a little too special to interupted by bumpkins in Raw-leee.
Good point!

Quote:
At the end of the day, it wasn't like the kid was molested and they didn't miss their flight. Welcome to air travel post 9/11...
Indeed. Don't want to be pulled out, follow the rules. The same guy would probably be screaming even louder if it were discovered that someone had a gun on board his flight but had gotten through because they were too LAX on the rules.

Welcome to the world of "The rules apply to everybody but me and my precious snowflake."

Old 01-07-2016, 09:23 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Vicki - I assume you mean TSA Pre-Check? If so, I hate to let you know but the days of getting random 'passes' are gone. They've just changed the rules and the only way you can get pre-check is to be signed up for it. I finally gave in and went though the screening. Turned out it was a lot less painful than expect. In my case I was in and out within 15 mins. Worth noting, if you have an Amex card they'll pickup the $85 tab. I also understand it makes the Global Entry program an easier process if you find yourself traveling overseas.
Before Paris, RDU was rarely making you take off your shoes, take out laptops, etc. I think it depends on the day and what's going on in the world.

That's great to know about Amex.

Edit: Looks like it's only for corporate and platinum

https://www.amexglobalbusinesstravel...ntry-benefits/

Old 01-07-2016, 09:37 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,176,299 times
I've been pulled out a few times for a "patdown." I'm certain I look like a potential terrorist (lol). By the way, how many terrorists have the TSA stopped? Just curious but I think the answer is 0.

M378
I've always had to take off my shoes and pull out the laptop at RDU. I don't fly every week but do fly several times a year.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:44 AM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I've been pulled out a few times for a "patdown." I'm certain I look like a potential terrorist (lol).
Well you do have 'crazy' in your screen name...

Old 01-07-2016, 09:50 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I read they got a positive reading for explosives??

My daughter has tried to bring so many liquids through security that WE now frisk her before the checkpoint lol. Never had any issues with the re- screen. And I will add that they once missed another water bottle on the hand search of her bag AND the re X-ray so I'm not entirely convinced we are 100% safe.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:55 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Before Paris, RDU was rarely making you take off your shoes, take out laptops, etc. I think it depends on the day and what's going on in the world.

That's great to know about Amex.

Edit: Looks like it's only for corporate and platinum

https://www.amexglobalbusinesstravel...ntry-benefits/
It depends on the passenger manifests for the days flights. I flew out over the summer the terminal was dead quiet. Bomb sniffing dog was there. Thought it odd till a group of 20 Muslims walked in. Racial profiling is happening it's just behind the scenes.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:04 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Unfortunately, this is the world we now live in.

It probably didn't help that daughter had a juice box, going through security. That is against the rules, you know. Yes, stupid rule but again, this is the world we live in.

I've also had a "pat down" at RDU. It wasn't a big deal.

If Dad hadn't made such a big deal out of it, daughter wouldn't have thought anything about it.

The TSA Agents always ask if you'd like to go to a room if you are embarrassed by being pat down.

Some people enjoy publicity, negative or positive.
I've had pat downs as well but they usually last about 15 seconds. People accidentally leave drinks in their bags all the time, but I've never seen a patdown like this before.

The one thing that seems a bit fishy to me is that the dad started taping from the beginning...the fact that she was patted down was not excessive, the excessive part was how long it took and some of the "methods" of patting down. I wonder if that's actually what they're supposed to do and they don't usually do it (because people would probably rightfully complain) so that's what she did since she was being taped.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:06 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I read they got a positive reading for explosives??

My daughter has tried to bring so many liquids through security that WE now frisk her before the checkpoint lol. Never had any issues with the re- screen. And I will add that they once missed another water bottle on the hand search of her bag AND the re X-ray so I'm not entirely convinced we are 100% safe.
I think this was the main trigger, I would expect them to give extra scurtin for a positive explosive result, even if it were a false positive.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:03 PM

160 posts, read 235,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I've had pat downs as well but they usually last about 15 seconds. People accidentally leave drinks in their bags all the time, but I've never seen a patdown like this before.

The one thing that seems a bit fishy to me is that the dad started taping from the beginning...the fact that she was patted down was not excessive, the excessive part was how long it took and some of the "methods" of patting down. I wonder if that's actually what they're supposed to do and they don't usually do it (because people would probably rightfully complain) so that's what she did since she was being taped.
Leads me to wonder if perhaps the agent recognized that the father was about to start taping the search and so conducted the screening by the book as best she could. If I was a TSA agent and I knew a video of me doing my job might go on youtube, I would make sure I was following my training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary