Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 09:04 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,581 times

Advertisements

Having surgery in the coming weeks and might have a choice between having it done at Wake Med (main campus) or Rex. I will be staying over at least one night and maybe two. Any recommendations regarding which might be a better choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 09:47 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Personally, I select the surgeon FIRST then ask his/her preference followed by the word "why?"

And with exceptions of certain specialities, I'd be looking at Duke surgeons first.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:55 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Fair amount of experience with both for myself and family...
At Rex 24/7 for 3 months with a family member.
Did Contract work at Wake Med way back.
We are lucky to have choices between so many great hospitals in our area,
but I would choose Rex.. Just an overall feel of better cleanliness,organization & staffing..
Not impressed with Durham Regional on Roxboro Rd(or whatever they are calling it this week)
Husband had knee replacement surgery there and followup care on the floor was poor..

Old 01-17-2016, 11:37 AM

24 posts, read 21,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Personally, I select the surgeon FIRST then ask his/her preference followed by the word "why?"

And with exceptions of certain specialities, I'd be looking at Duke surgeons first.
As a nurse who has worked at all 3 hospitals mentioned I agree with the above. Find a good surgeon with low post-op complication/infection rates then see where they offer their services. Many surgeons are able to do surgery at several different places- which is helpful if your insurance has "in-network vs out".

Also, from a personal preference, if I had to only stay overnight I would feel ok being at any of those hospitals. If my recovery required a longer stay or even ICU then my answer would change depending on the type of surgery. There are several specialties in which I'd ONLY go to a certain hospital to have it done (spec. neuro and cardiothoracic).

On a side note, some people shy away from Duke b/c it's a teaching hospital; as a patient you do have the right to refuse to allow any students or residents to do your surgery or anesthesia.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:34 PM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

That is also how I would approach it. I have had semi-major procedures done at Rex and a very serious one at Duke. Both are excellent hospitals.

If you have BCBS, you may have access to hospital statics via WebMD. You can look up your specific procedure and see how many were done there, # deaths, # serious reactions, etc.

It is obviously secondary to the medical part, but the food at Rex was outstanding, especially compared to Duke. Duke is (at least they were in 2014) still in the 20th century, bringing everyone the same thing at the same time. Rex had a menu where you could order what you wanted, when you wanted it.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:45 PM

328 posts, read 767,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post

It is obviously secondary to the medical part, but the food at Rex was outstanding, especially compared to Duke. Duke is (at least they were in 2014) still in the 20th century, bringing everyone the same thing at the same time. Rex had a menu where you could order what you wanted, when you wanted it.

I had my baby at Rex last fall and the food was awesome! My wife was an inpatient there two months later and I was happy to visit and eat there. I have never said that about hospital food before and I have worked at two other hospitals.

The labor and delivery nurses were excellent, save two of them. I don't know what their deal was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary