Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 07:16 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times

Advertisements

Those are not normal prices and are on the low end. I'd expect more along the lines of $11-1300 for a 1-2 bdrm studio apt in Carrboro/Chapel Hill. There are a lot of smaller little apartments and duplexes that aren't part of big complexes (plenty of those too) that might work for you.

There aren't 4 streets that are the boundaries of places to avoid. You'll just have to come see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 09:19 AM

336 posts, read 411,946 times
Just wrote a post with specific numbers but accidentally deleted it before posting, dang. Oh well, the gist was I added up total populations of last 3 areas I lived in and compared them to total combined population of Chapel Hill/Carrboro and Hillsborough and Durham (those 3 areas are 20-30 minutes apart from eachother by car).

Those 4 Triangle cities' combined population is like 5 times bigger than Santa Cruz, CA (after 2 years Santa Cruz area felt too small but I also didn't have car yet and didn't roadtrip elsewhere often enough and also wanted more diversity and jobs).

Or is 60ish% the size of the inner SF East Bay Area I frequent most living there past 2 or 3 years (Berkeley, Oakland minus Deep East Oakland due to crime, El Cerrito, Emeryville, Albany, Kensington). Would be nice if Triangle is less population-dense than SF Bay Area.

Or I forget now how much smaller than Austin (lived in Austin several months then moved mainly for a work reason) but that's okay cause Austin is bigger than I really "need." And I had lots of fun experiencing big city living several years in DC area and a couple years in Chicago and playing in Brooklyn, but don't need that huge or dense of places as homebase anymore.

Anyway am thinking Triangle sounds big enough for me to meet enough similarly-minded community especially cause I have car now. Can also roadtrip to friends in Asheville and Virginia, etc. And don't want or need to only be around people too exactly like me.

And found this kinda cute article though I would have used different criteria:
These Are The 10 Best Cities For Hippies In North Carolina - HomeSnacks

Maybe I sound like a stereotypical Goldilocks millenial, hahahaha...oh well, just trying to keep up a cozy nest

Last edited by NatureYogi; 01-21-2016 at 09:29 AM..

Old 01-21-2016, 09:21 AM

336 posts, read 411,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Those are not normal prices and are on the low end. I'd expect more along the lines of $11-1300 for a 1-2 bdrm studio apt in Carrboro/Chapel Hill. There are a lot of smaller little apartments and duplexes that aren't part of big complexes (plenty of those too) that might work for you.

There aren't 4 streets that are the boundaries of places to avoid. You'll just have to come see.
Cool. Sounds like it'll all make more sense when I arrive. But looking online am getting impression normal price for a 1-bedroom unit (no housemate, just a 1-bedroom with private full kitchen and private full bathroom) in Triangle is more like $700-900/month though...I hope?! Would be great. Duplex, cottage or in-law sounds better than apartment.

Last edited by NatureYogi; 01-21-2016 at 09:43 AM..

Old 01-21-2016, 10:32 AM

149 posts, read 149,426 times
Quote:
Cool. Sounds like it'll all make more sense when I arrive. But looking online am getting impression normal price for a 1-bedroom unit (no housemate, just a 1-bedroom with private full kitchen and private full bathroom) in Triangle is more like $700-900/month though...I hope?! Would be great. Duplex, cottage or in-law sounds better than apartment.
My apartment (one bedroom, very spacious) in Raleigh is $805 per month.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:34 PM

530 posts, read 638,019 times
If you do choose Durham I think you would be happiest living around 9th st and I would recommend checking out places there.

Definitely Chapel Hill/Carrboro and Durham are the places here that offer you the best fit for what you are trying to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary