Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 01:45 PM

310 posts, read 1,714,996 times

Advertisements

Are Town houses a good investment?

Do they appreciate at the same rate as detached homes?

I am looking for something in the 350K level. I am considering a town house in north Raleigh, south of 540. For the same price, I can find a detached home in Wake Forest. I like the detached homes, but I don't want to deal with the traffic everyday.

Anyone familiar with Carriages at Allyns Landing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 02:13 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,941 times
At 350k you should have many more options than simply a detached home in Wake Forest.

The general rule I've observed is that townhomes are more volatile - in a strong market they appreciate at a solid rate but in a weak market, they are more vulnerable to drops in value than are single-family homes. There are, of course, plenty of exceptions but as a rule single-family is a bit more stable.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:30 PM

7,141 posts, read 4,735,089 times
I have had realtors tell me over the years that in most cases a single family home is a better investment.

I've seen the townhomes at Carriages at Allyns Landing, and think they're beautiful. But they're not really in a "neighborhood" that one could walk through. At least not very far. The street they're on is narrow, and people drive fast along there.

The exteriors are beautiful and remind me of something you'd see up in New England.

In the long run, I think single family homes appreciate more than townhomes.

Happy searching,
toodie

Old 02-06-2008, 04:39 PM

144 posts, read 520,262 times
When you refer to investment, are you planning on renting the property out or are you going to use it for your primary residence? Big difference.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:49 PM

310 posts, read 1,714,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Roberts View Post
When you refer to investment, are you planning on renting the property out or are you going to use it for your primary residence? Big difference.
I am going to use it for primary residence.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:11 PM

144 posts, read 520,262 times
Well, any financial advisor or investor will tell you that you never count on your primary home as an investment.

As far as real estate appreciation, you need to factor in market, location, condition, supply and demand.
I find that townhouses often cost less for the same square footage as single homes. But percentage wise, they can increase in value nearly the same.
Keep in mind that the majority of the population, is aging (baby boomers). With that, townhomes and especially condo sales have taken off along with 55 and over communities who can't keep inventory.
My advice would be to shop for your home carefully. If you purchase in the right area, keep it in good condition and don't over improve it, you can build quite a bit of equity provided you stay in your home for a number of years.

Just my opinion.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:21 PM

34 posts, read 97,128 times
I agree with Lauren. If you buy in the right area, whatever you buy will appreciate. But also remember that time is an all important factor with appreciation.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:01 PM

36 posts, read 276,973 times
Default Carriages at Allyns Landing

Wow, these townhomes are really nice. One of the neighbors said a new builder has taken over and is really dressing these things up. Looks like a great place as I am looking for a low maintenance place to retire. Does anyone know who the builder is?

Old 02-28-2008, 04:08 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Making money on a townhouse has a lot to do with the area.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,088 times
Comstock Homes of Raleigh, LLC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary