Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 05:44 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,011,018 times

Advertisements

We are looking at Chapel Hill - and possibly Hillsborough.

Came across these 3 subdivisions in my search and they all look very nice. They seem very much our style, which is Southern Village - if we could afford it. We love the look of planned communities - sidewalks, street trees, houses somewhat close together, community areas and parks.

Downing Creek I don't think is a planned community in that sense, but looks very nice - open, but nice trees.

Can anyone comment on any of these? Are they as nice as they look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 05:49 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
I can tell you anything and everything about Southern Village. I have lived here for 4 years (next week!). Tell me what you want to know, and I will give it you straight.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:21 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
We are looking at Chapel Hill - and possibly Hillsborough.

Came across these 3 subdivisions in my search and they all look very nice. They seem very much our style, which is Southern Village - if we could afford it. We love the look of planned communities - sidewalks, street trees, houses somewhat close together, community areas and parks.
I have visited in Governors Village and thought it was very nice. One could walk from the townhomes to the grocery store and restaurants. There were also villas with small yards which seemed to attract older residents. There seemed to be recreational things like trails and tennis.

I think it is in Chatham County if that is relevant for school children.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:29 PM

No children, thanks. GV sounds nice.

Michgc, as much as we'd love to be able to buy in Southern Village, it is too pricey for us.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:30 PM

p.s. I did try and do a search on these subdivisions, but the Search function does not appear to work (??) Thought maybe it was these 3 subdivisions that had no results, but then tried a general "Chapel Hill" search and it returned no results so something is wrong.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:48 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
p.s. I did try and do a search on these subdivisions, but the Search function does not appear to work (??) Thought maybe it was these 3 subdivisions that had no results, but then tried a general "Chapel Hill" search and it returned no results so something is wrong.
Yeah something appears to be wrong with the search function today.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:05 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Governor's Village is about 7-8 miles from I-40, so it seems isolated in the woods. It is probably very safe.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:44 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:

Michgc, as much as we'd love to be able to buy in Southern Village, it is too pricey for us.
I don't think Governor's Village is any cheaper.

I thought you were asking about Southern Village. Arlen Park is part of Southern Village, unless there is another development by that name that I don't know about. It's a street in Southern Village - actually where the first homes were built.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:22 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Governor's Village is not really much like Southern Village. Southern Village is a master planned community with a grocery store (another branch of Weaver Street Market), school, church, doctor's offices, many restaurants and shops, movie theater, etc. None of that is in Governor's neighborhoods. There is one little shopping center which is adjacent to the Governor's Club/Governor's Townes area with a Food Lion, a Subway, a coffee shop/cafe, an Italian restaurant, and I think a dry cleaner. My mom used to live in the CCRC that is out there, Carolina Meadows, and there just really isn't much out there compared to Southern Village. It's not a place you would go to shop or visit unless you lived there or had a friend there. It will be much further from your 24 hr vet as well, although about 15 minutes from UNC hospitals, and about 25 from Duke.

Have you looked at Winmore or Claremont if you like the all inclusive neighborhood? Meadowmont is the other master planned neighborhood most similar to Southern Village.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:01 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
You might look at Heritage in Wake Forest, too. You could go to Duke Raleigh for your care and VSH for your pet. I am not super well-versed on Wake County neighborhoods, but Bedford in North Raleigh, Carpenter Village in Cary or Brier Creek might work for you, too.

If you wait just a couple of years Chatham Park will have some homes for you, too. They've already built the first doctor's offices. It will be the biggest of the planned/mixed use/new urbanist/"traditional neighborhood" developments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary