Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 03:19 PM

120 posts, read 549,292 times

Advertisements

What areas in/around Durham would you recommend as being safe/fun for raising children? We have a budget of under $175,ooo and would like to live in an older home. It's hard doing searches online b/c we find something great, in our range, but have no idea about the area. We moved here from Richmond, VA, also a city that is often talked about only in terms of its high crime rate. In many ways, including architecture, cultural activities, artists, etc...Durham reminds us of Richmond. We would love to hear from Durham residents what areas could offer homes with character (no new subdivisions, older architecture) that are in a family friendly area. We would prefer to send our daughter to public schools, but private education is an option. We really want to live in an area with older homes, involved residents, diversity, and (yes little crime), to raise our daughter. Do you have any suggestions where to begin our search in this price range? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 03:20 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,436,877 times
Why do you want to live in Durham?

Old 02-07-2008, 03:38 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
How do you define "older"? Twenty years? Fifty?

I live in southern Durham in the 27713 zip code. The homes in my neighborhood (Woodcroft) are around 20 years old. It's an extremely convenient, quiet, and beautiful location. We love living here. When we were househunting last year I saw a number of homes in your price range in this area of town. You might be able to find some older homes here, but it wasn't too long ago that this part of town was undeveloped, so there won't be much available that's older than, say, 30 years old.

I also know some people who live in central, western and northern Durham who are very happy. I'm not as familiar with those areas, though, so I'll leave it to others to comment.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:54 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,193,567 times
in that price range, you might try Duke Park, Old West Durham or Northgate. Watts Hillandale and Trinity Park are the stock answers for people who want a good urban neighborhood with the characteristics you mention but they tend to be pricier than you budget.

and to answer why people want to live in Durham: we "luv" it.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:00 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 565,942 times
I agree with the Duke Park and Northgate Park areas (Trinity Park would probably be tough on your price range). Seems to fit the rest of your needs.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:12 PM

932 posts, read 1,273,444 times
In that price range, I don't know that I personally would look in durham.

Lots of other communities that are nice and in your range and are commutable to durham for work ( I'm assuming thats why you want to be there)

Old 02-07-2008, 05:23 PM

8 posts, read 28,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
Why do you want to live in Durham?

did you not read the post?

We moved here from Richmond, VA, also a city that is often talked about only in terms of its high crime rate. In many ways, including architecture, cultural activities, artists, etc...Durham reminds us of Richmond. We would love to hear from Durham residents what areas could offer homes with character (no new subdivisions, older architecture) that are in a family friendly area.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:51 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,193,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
In that price range, I don't know that I personally would look in durham.

Lots of other communities that are nice and in your range and are commutable to durham for work ( I'm assuming thats why you want to be there)

No--the poster wants to live in Durham because she LIKES Durham. Why is it so impossible to accept that people actually like this city? *sigh* I guess some of us get it, and some of us don't...

Old 02-07-2008, 05:54 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,964,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
No--the poster wants to live in Durham because she LIKES Durham. Why is it so impossible to accept that people actually like this city? *sigh* I guess some of us get it, and some of us don't...
LOL!

*sighs with you*

Old 02-07-2008, 05:54 PM

932 posts, read 1,273,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
Liking the city is fine...but I think everyone wants to live in a reasonably safe area. Most of the safer neighborhoods in durham are above that price point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary