Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 08:33 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,800 times

Advertisements

We are house hunting and would prefer to stay in Cary or even Apex, but competition is fierce. People keep telling us to check out Holly Springs. I don't mind a being a little far removed from all the "hip" things (restaurants etc). Our daughter will be going to school in a few years and we plan on having another one so I doubt we will get out much anyway. My concern about Holly Springs is the commute without having to take the toll road. I will be going to Perimeter Park (airport exit), the other job is currently in Cary on Weston Parkway. We are both hoping to negotiate a 2 day work from home no matter where we end up moving to. There is also a possibility to negotiate either a 7-4 or 9-6 work day. I'm looking for feedback both from people that go for the regular 8-5 as well as if the alternative schedule might make the commute better. I like what we can get for our money in Holly Springs and the schools are good, but I also don't want to waste my life commuting 2 hours a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 08:38 AM

547 posts, read 774,765 times
Where do you live now?

Kinda depends on how you feel and what you like doing and if you are ok with commuting...just remember what takes 20 mins now may be 25-30 minutes down the road.

Seems like there's 2 types of people on these boards, those that say to live close to work and those that don't mind commuting because they are used to it and would like to get more house for their money.

We almost moved out to the FV/Holly line but ultimately decided against that and are buying close to work...it will be 10 mins from my work and 15 mins from wife's work...that beats the 25/30 min commute we would have had to do if we chose to live further.

Yes competition is fierce but you just have to be nimble and ready - the Holly Springs market is also very hot.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:41 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
We are house hunting and would prefer to stay in Cary or even Apex, but competition is fierce. People keep telling us to check out Holly Springs. I don't mind a being a little far removed from all the "hip" things (restaurants etc). Our daughter will be going to school in a few years and we plan on having another one so I doubt we will get out much anyway. My concern about Holly Springs is the commute without having to take the toll road. I will be going to Perimeter Park (airport exit), the other job is currently in Cary on Weston Parkway. We are both hoping to negotiate a 2 day work from home no matter where we end up moving to. There is also a possibility to negotiate either a 7-4 or 9-6 work day. I'm looking for feedback both from people that go for the regular 8-5 as well as if the alternative schedule might make the commute better. I like what we can get for our money in Holly Springs and the schools are good, but I also don't want to waste my life commuting 2 hours a day.
If you are over near Weston Parkway or Perimeter Park, HS would NOT be my first choice.

What are your housing needs/wants?

I know you want a house around 250k, and you can find that in Cary, honestly.

It may not be brand new and it might not be 3000 square feet with every possible upgrade, but you can find a good house in a good neighborhood for around that price.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
Where do you live now?

Kinda depends on how you feel and what you like doing and if you are ok with commuting...just remember what takes 20 mins now may be 25-30 minutes down the road.

Seems like there's 2 types of people on these boards, those that say to live close to work and those that don't mind commuting because they are used to it and would like to get more house for their money.

We almost moved out to the FV/Holly line but ultimately decided against that and are buying close to work...it will be 10 mins from my work and 15 mins from wife's work...that beats the 25/30 min commute we would have had to do if we chose to live further.

Yes competition is fierce but you just have to be nimble and ready - the Holly Springs market is also very hot.
Yeah that's the issue, I HATE commuting. We are currently in Durham, but don't want to stay here because of schools (not that house prices are even that cheaper). I have always lived close to work even if it was more expensive. However, I've never owned a home or had a child in school. In the back of my mind I always thought those days would come to an end and the commute becomes what you have to do for your child - does that make sense? With that said, no, I would prefer not to do it.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
If you are over near Weston Parkway or Perimeter Park, HS would NOT be my first choice.

What are your housing needs/wants?

I know you want a house around 250k, and you can find that in Cary, honestly.

It may not be brand new and it might not be 3000 square feet with every possible upgrade, but you can find a good house in a good neighborhood for around that price.
That's what the realtor said too. It's just that they go SO QUICKLY. I don't need new. We are looking around the $250K mark yes and around 1600 sq feet will be enough. Important for us is the neighborhood, schools and we would like a fenced yard. We are willing to do some work on the right house. Maybe I'm jumping the gun here, since we've just started looking and are not in a rush. Just seems that everything that's left currently is either on a busy road or has some other issue. So that probably means the houses that have what we are looking for (not to be on a busy street) go in days.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:48 AM

547 posts, read 774,765 times
I agree with RedZin, you should be able to find a "decent" house in Cary - you will just have to work hard to get it...

Commuting also has drawbacks when you have a kid, it'll take that much longer to get home to bring them to soccer practice or recitals...plus the cost of maintaining cars for driving that much longer. Depends on where you buy in Holly, there is a log jam down 55 from what I've heard (even though they are trying to fix this).

You may also be able to bump up your budget a little if you aren't commuting 30 mins a day/one way...

Old 02-11-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
I agree with RedZin, you should be able to find a "decent" house in Cary - you will just have to work hard to get it...

Commuting also has drawbacks when you have a kid, it'll take that much longer to get home to bring them to soccer practice or recitals...plus the cost of maintaining cars for driving that much longer. Depends on where you buy in Holly, there is a log jam down 55 from what I've heard (even though they are trying to fix this).

You may also be able to bump up your budget a little if you aren't commuting 30 mins a day/one way...
Yes exactly. I appreciate your feed back. I think we will try for Cary. When you say work hard to get it, what does that mean to you?

Old 02-11-2016, 08:56 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
That's what the realtor said too. It's just that they go SO QUICKLY. I don't need new. We are looking around the $250K mark yes and around 1600 sq feet will be enough. Important for us is the neighborhood, schools and we would like a fenced yard. We are willing to do some work on the right house. Maybe I'm jumping the gun here, since we've just started looking and are not in a rush. Just seems that everything that's left currently is either on a busy road or has some other issue. So that probably means the houses that have what we are looking for (not to be on a busy street) go in days.
Your realtor should have you set up with a search in 27511, 27513, and 27519 for Cary. You might also try Apex, but that's still putting you at a point where you will start to wonder if you might as well not go for Holly Springs, because you're already headed out that way.

Me, with your budget, I'd be looking primarily in 27511 and 27513. There are some really cute, older houses in 27511 that have been updated and they go FAST.

But, they have large lots and good prices and that fence can easily be installed.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:00 AM

5,324 posts, read 3,207,883 times
Holly Springs is closed anyway. We have enough people. I can put you on the waiting list if you want.

Kidding aside, as much as you would like Holly Springs and the great schools (plus the bonus that it's not Cary), I personally would hate the commute to Weston or the airport.

Airport is doable if you want to take 540, but then there's the issue of tolls. Weston - well I just can't see a positive on that commute. There is no "shortcut" and it's one of those commutes where even the back roads (if there are any) would be congested. I've been over that way at rush hour, it's not fun.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:03 AM

5,324 posts, read 3,207,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Your realtor should have you set up with a search in 27511, 27513, and 27519 for Cary. You might also try Apex, but that's still putting you at a point where you will start to wonder if you might as well not go for Holly Springs, because you're already headed out that way.
For me what does it is the commute to Weston. Thats not a winner from anywhere west of that location. I think that north and east of Cary is the best bet (if commuting i.e. time away from the family, is the main concern). Whether you're taking 540 to 40, or 1 to 40, it is a bad commute. And that's not even taking into consideration the cluster that is the 55 bypass during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary