Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 10:44 PM

11 posts, read 19,169 times

Advertisements

Are there any local (Cary, Raleigh, Durham) Therapist/Psychologist experienced with treating Trypophobia? If your reading this and know what Trypophobia is please don't post any trigger images. I'm hoping to talk to someone about a cure or at least cope with it easier as it can be life consuming.

Thank you for any help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 12:34 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Since it's not a DSM-recognized disorder and some level of instinctual discomfort with the material in question is actually a GOOD thing, I'm not sure if you can legitimately find anyone who will do more than to tell you to avoid triggers and quit looking at images on the internet.

None of which will be posted in this thread.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:15 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Since it's not a DSM-recognized disorder and some level of instinctual discomfort with the material in question is actually a GOOD thing, I'm not sure if you can legitimately find anyone who will do more than to tell you to avoid triggers and quit looking at images on the internet.
Indeed and I'm not trying to be terrible here, but honestly how often during a normal day is this a problem? I mean I too hate what "Trypophobia" is and it makes my skin crawl, but I just avoid it at all costs.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:28 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Here is a statewide list, which can be drilled down to county and then down to town. Maybe you will have luck finding what you are looking for in here. Certainly wishing you the best.

https://therapists.psychologytoday.c...+Carolina.html

Old 02-14-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Indeed and I'm not trying to be terrible here, but honestly how often during a normal day is this a problem? I mean I too hate what "Trypophobia" is and it makes my skin crawl, but I just avoid it at all costs.
It's gotten a lot worse over the years where now the holes in Concrete and cracks will give me the same feeling. So at this point walking and/or driving will trigger the Trypophobia. It's also not just the minute you see a Trypophobia image it's the lasting thought of the image in my head that can last for hours or days. Images on TV or random images online that are not the traditional images will trigger it. I wish it was as easy as not looking at the Trypophobia images but unfortunately it's not.

If you don't have this phobia is hard to understand and seems very silly and I agree. I thought I've felt anxiety in the past while flying or in tall buildings but that was nothing compared to this. It will last minutes to hours and/or days. If it hit's you hard you can't sleep as the image will stay in the front of your head.

Before I noticed I had this I would tell people with anxiety regarding other things to just get over it or they were exaggerating and didn't have much sympathy for them. But after the feeling I receive with Trypophobia I think/feel different when people tell me they have anxiety.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:51 AM

Are you calmed by a cocktail or an anti-anxiety medication of some sort?

I cannot imagine one could ever get past the inborn instinct to be uncomfortable with the more jarring images. I cannot look at lotus pods unless they are dried, with no seeds.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I think the Internet and poor Photoshop has made this worse. I must have seen that weird photo of the chick who sat on frozen green peas a dozen times before I realized that's all it was. Ugh.

Stuff like that is disgusting. No wonder it's alarming.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:54 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Any Cognitive Behavioral therapist should be able to help you.

My sisters have this...when I invited one in to see my newly painted bathroom she had to leave because my newly matching shower curtain is just a mass of circles.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Any Cognitive Behavioral therapist should be able to help you.

My sisters have this...when I invited one in to see my newly painted bathroom she had to leave because my newly matching shower curtain is just a mass of circles.
See, I was thinking CBT could help, but totally eliminating the discomfort might be bad. I almost think meds might be preferable while learning coping mechanisms.

It's tough because it isn't recognized as a disorder.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Are you calmed by a cocktail or an anti-anxiety medication of some sort?

I cannot imagine one could ever get past the inborn instinct to be uncomfortable with the more jarring images. I cannot look at lotus pods unless they are dried, with no seeds.
I don't want to rely on medication or alcohol. I'm hoping a therapist would be able to assist and if not medication might be an option. I've had this condition for many years and it's gotten much worse over the last year. There is a therapist video on youtube that goes thru some mind and relaxation processes that has actually helped a bit. At this point it's the holes in the concrete of sidewalks and streets that's killing me. Driving to and from work and walking looking at the ground aggravates the hell out of me. I want to stab and smash the holes and the anxiety and skin crawling is about 8-9 on a scale of 1-10. Drinking or taking drugs to resolve or make it easier to deal with does not seem like a fair trade off.

Sometimes it becomes an OCD thing where my mind wants and wants and wants to see trigger images and I have to fight my mind not to look up the pictures on my phone or computer. It's a very ****ed up phobia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary