Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 10:31 AM

147 posts, read 541,920 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I moved here from Texas last June because she got a promotion at work. She works out of Garner and we rent a house in Fuquay-Varina. We really love the area and are tired of throwing money away by renting. She owns a house in Texas already but I was wondering what the average difference in costs between buying a house and renting one here. Our budget is around $245k total at the far upper end.

I have done my research on the pros and cons and she is a very picky person when it comes to what she wants. I am just wondering whether or not its possible to build a house in the area for $100 a sq ft or if costs are looking like they will be much more than that. We have access to extreme discounts on certain things like flooring, granite and some other things. I have never had a house built so I guess I could use some help in my research as well.

We have looked around the Clayton, Archer Lodge, Garner, Willow Springs, Fuquay-Varina areas and have almost given up at this point. What she wants tends to be in the 300k minimum range. We will more than likely not be here longer than about 5 years but have no qualms about renting out whatever house we end up getting in the future until the market allows us to sell back at cost/profit.

I am just in the beginning stages here so if anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 10:48 AM

514 posts, read 602,873 times
$100 per square foot is very limiting and will only give you options (at all) in some areas. Naturally, they won't be the most desired. Further, you won't get a ton of upgrades or have many choices. There are some homes, with select builders, you can get a home built for that.

Having said that, when you refer to her as "a very picky person", I don't know what that means with respect to features or if she would get everything she wants.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:12 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Describe: "...she is a very picky person when it comes to what she wants."

If you mean "she wants the amenities found in homes well outside our price range" then you might be able to accomplish this with a smaller home and lot.

If you mean "she wants a large home, all the amenities found in homes that are outside our price range, and a large lot with landscaping in a neighborhood full of amenities" yes... you are SOL, friend.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:38 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Renting is not "throwing money away." It's a choice. When renting, you are getting the luxury of flexibility, of being able to leave quickly at a minimal expense. You are living maitenance free, freeing you financially and for additional leisure time. These are NOT small things. They are valuable.

Especially when you're an unmarried couple. Especially when real estate is NOT guaranteeing a return on your investment as it generally did in the past.

BTW, I'd question how much if a mortgage you'll qualify for given that she's already on the hook for the one in Texas. A visit with a mortgage broker should be your next step before looking at any more houses,

Old 02-12-2016, 11:41 AM

547 posts, read 775,267 times
You will probably not be able to recoup your money if you build and turn it around in 5 years...you are better off either rehabbing a house and try to sell for a profit or renting.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:01 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Describe: "...she is a very picky person when it comes to what she wants."
I think it means "she watches a lot of HGTV"

Old 02-12-2016, 12:15 PM

514 posts, read 602,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
You will probably not be able to recoup your money if you build and turn it around in 5 years...you are better off either rehabbing a house and try to sell for a profit or renting.
All depends upon the location

Old 02-12-2016, 12:18 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I think it means "she watches a lot of HGTV"
Y'all are mean, but I sometimes like it.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwmcknight View Post
$100 per square foot is very limiting and will only give you options (at all) in some areas. Naturally, they won't be the most desired. Further, you won't get a ton of upgrades or have many choices. There are some homes, with select builders, you can get a home built for that.

Having said that, when you refer to her as "a very picky person", I don't know what that means with respect to features or if she would get everything she wants.
When I say picky I mean there are a lot of things that she will be looking for in a house.

1) Fenced in area
2) Two + car garage
3) Prefers brick but it seems most houses in this area are built with wood siding
4) Large Master bathroom
5) 1700+ sq ft
6) Preferably attached garage
7) House at least 20 ft from the next house
8) At the very least backs up to woods, but prefers a completely wooded area
9) Not directly off major road.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Renting is not "throwing money away." It's a choice. When renting, you are getting the luxury of flexibility, of being able to leave quickly at a minimal expense. You are living maitenance free, freeing you financially and for additional leisure time. These are NOT small things. They are valuable.

Especially when you're an unmarried couple. Especially when real estate is NOT guaranteeing a return on your investment as it generally did in the past.

BTW, I'd question how much if a mortgage you'll qualify for given that she's already on the hook for the one in Texas. A visit with a mortgage broker should be your next step before looking at any more houses,
She makes plenty of money trust me. We would not be living here otherwise. She qualifies for around $300,000 but we want to keep the total amount under $250,000.

Owning a home is much cheaper here than in Texas. Because there such a high income tax here property taxes are very low compared to Texas. She rent's the house out in Texas for around $1700 per month...and we would like to keep the mortgage and taxes under around $1450 per month (which is what we are paying for rent right now)...

I feel like renting at $1450 a month is throwing away that much money because there is 0 return on investment involved no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary