Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 12:59 PM

263 posts, read 572,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I agree. I just get very alarmed by the sentiment that the dead guy deserved it. It may turn out that he did (not really, nobody deserves to die like that, even a bad person), but if that happens to be the case, that he was guilty of a crime worthy of the death sentence, it will only be after the fact. At the time he was shot, it was not justifiable. That much is a fact.
Wait a minute. I'm having trouble following the thread, as there was discussion about the semantics of presumed innocence in the courtroom versus real life, but... Are you saying there's no way the officer could have been justified in shooting the man without a trial? Are you saying the officer should have allowed himself to be killed to allow the suspect to be taken to trial?

If I'm misunderstanding what you meant, please clarify.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:30 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfburns View Post
Wait a minute. I'm having trouble following the thread, as there was discussion about the semantics of presumed innocence in the courtroom versus real life, but... Are you saying there's no way the officer could have been justified in shooting the man without a trial? Are you saying the officer should have allowed himself to be killed to allow the suspect to be taken to trial?

If I'm misunderstanding what you meant, please clarify.
No, and thank you for asking (because i can see from MY words how one might come to that conclusion).

What I am saying is that the justification that "he was gangster", "he was a thug", "we saved society the cost of housing another inmate" and other such things can IN NO WAY be justified. If the guy was shot because he pointed a gun at an officer, or somehow otherwise posted a legitimate threat, then THAT is justification, but the guy's history, skin color, prior record, or anything else of that nature offers no further justifications.

(There is a lot of confusion, because we are responding to responses of responses to responses of quotes. Go back to the first page or two. I can't recall who all said stuff, but I think I remember SVTLightning being one who suggested such things.) I'll go back and check, and edit if I'm wrong about SVT.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:34 PM

OK, thank you for the clarification. I agree with those points, as well. His past may help paint a picture of his character for discussion purposes, but you're right: only the actions that took place that day (and at that moment) determine whether the officer was justified in shooting.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:38 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
These are just some of the quotes that seem to IMPLY that it is justified to kill the guy based on his past, his affiliation, or something else. Some imply it more than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
The guy has 6 arrests and is armed, being chased for a warrant by a cop, what does he expect? Sorry, but no sympathy. One less criminal off the streets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I find it hard to have sympathy for anyone of any color that live their lives on the wrong side of the law.
Quote:
Exactly!!!!!! Now there is no burden on the taxpayer to pay for his food shelter and clothing while in prison.
Quote:
Still no sympathy.

Why did he run? Just stop and face the consequences. Simple solution.

I don't understand why people care so much about other people they don't know, when those people decide they don't want to follow the rules of society. If he had simply stopped he would not have been chased and shot. Not too difficult to grasp that concept.
Quote:
Well we all know what it means when you assume.

The constitution doesn't apply to everyone equally. Convicted felons lose some of their rights don't they ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John EdwardsII View Post
IF IF IF. Maybe he should have chosen a different path away from the gangs and he would not have been in the situation of running from the cops. Anything positive from gang membership we're missing?

http://tinyurl.com/zkh4wd5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John EdwardsII View Post
Very simple. You lie with dogs you catch fleas.

http://tinyurl.com/zkh4wd5
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
"The guy has 6 arrests and is armed, being chased for a warrant by a cop, what does he expect? Sorry, but no sympathy. One less criminal off the streets."

That looks like a lot of facts to me. He was a dangerous person who did not heed the law. I am so tired of people looking for reasons to find fault with police officers risking their lives to protect ungrateful people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Yes, just saw the updated news. A gun was found next to him, and he was a verified gang member.

I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand by many people in the country. If you don't want to get shot by the police, then follow the rules and try to better your life somehow. There is plenty of help in this town. Maybe not in other places in the country, but plenty of help in Raleigh
On the other hand, I'd like to thank St. Android as one person (of many) who has had a level head in this discussion, and is trying to deal with facts, and who seems to have respect for the laws of our land, which are based on the BoR, Constitution, and two-plus centuries of SCOTUS rulings...

Old 03-03-2016, 02:03 PM

6,453 posts, read 9,816,761 times
He was shot 4 times and none in the back.

I stand by everything I posted.

MyGhost you speak of people respecting the laws of our land. If the dead guy had done that we wouldn't be talking about him now would we ? Kind of makes my point.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:06 PM

This goes to show there was a lot of lying by "witnesses", and the media should be ashamed of repeating the account of these anonymous "witnesses" so many times.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:34 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Autopsy: Denkins shot 4 times in chest, arms :: WRAL.com

9 minutes ago.
Sick and repulsive to posit that "he needed killin'" without any more facts than anyone else.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:48 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Autopsy: Denkins shot 4 times in chest, arms :: WRAL.com

9 minutes ago.
Sick and repulsive to posit that "he needed killin'" without any more facts than anyone else.
Well, it appears he was not fleeing while being shot in the back 7 times.

Looks like the officer shot twice (double tap) and the 2nd was what stopped the suspect because it hit him in the chest.

So, if indeed there was a gun near the suspect, it was likely a gun that he had pulled or was in the process of pulling when the officer approached.

Or, you know, the officer plotted the whole thing and had a handy handgun to plant.

I cannot think up any other scenarios involving the two men at the moment.

I'm thinking the former is the most likely scenario, but who knows?

It's a sad situation all around.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:12 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,554 times

Old 03-03-2016, 05:50 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,686 times
Apparently he was struggling with the officer and attempting to draw a gun. I don't care what color you are, that is how bad things happen to you.

Police: Raleigh officer struggled with man over gun before fatal shooting :: WRAL.com

Also, way to stoke the racial flames WRAL:

According to the report, Twiddy, who is white, first observed Denkins, who is black, on Bragg Street, near Mangum Street. Twiddy, who was in uniform, parked his patrol car and approached Denkins, who turned and begun to walk away.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary