Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 05:22 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,608,820 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about that area of unincorporated Wake County that is bounded by Holly Springs Road to the west, Highway 401 to the east, Tryon to the north, and perhaps Hilltop Needmore to the south.

Do you think that the surrounding cites will gradually creep their borders equally until they meet in the middle? Do you think that one city has more "cojones" than the others and will gobble up more land than the others?

Cary seems to have taken a strategic move by extending it's southern boundary way down to the Park at Westlake subdivision, which is south of Optimist Farm, effectively blocking Apex and Holly Springs from advancing to the east. It has even built a large water treatment plant down there, as if to say "This is only the beginning". Garner seems to be developing more on the eastern side, by I-40 and Clayton. I'm not sure Fuquay has a plan at all.

Do you think that it will be a battle between Raleigh and Cary? Perhaps neither cares and that area will enjoy it's freedom for a while longer. Will anyone guess at a timetable? The southern section of I-540 may eventually find its way over to Garner by 2025, but who knows?

Perhaps I played the board game "Risk" too many times as a child
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 05:41 AM

No responses. My guess was right. I DID pay "Risk" too many times as a child.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:42 AM

932 posts, read 1,274,640 times
Cary.

The goal is to envelope the entire state, one unincorporated area at a time.

MUAHHHA HAHAAAAHAHAHAAAAA

Old 02-12-2008, 07:00 AM

502 posts, read 1,740,876 times
I love Risk!

We just bought a house in that area you described, and the realtor said he didn't think anyone would incorporate it. His reasoning was it wasn't worth it. The houses are very spread out and so there aren't as many... the cost of bringing in services to them would outweigh the benefit of taxes. He said they concentrate on new developments, not existing and established ones. Also, there is a huge part of the land that is owned by NC State that will never be developed, and then Lake Wheeler. One of the reasons we bought in that area was that we thought it won't get incorporated.

But, if it does ever get incorporated, my money would be on Cary. They are the one that is spreading like wildfire and have run into a barrier on the south, so its logical that they might look to the East.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
The houses are very spread out and so there aren't as many... the cost of bringing in services to them would outweigh the benefit of taxes. He said they concentrate on new developments, not existing and established ones. Also, there is a huge part of the land that is owned by NC State that will never be developed, and then Lake Wheeler.
There is still a lot of farm land down there. All it takes is for a farmer to lose money a few years in a row (can you say drought?) and he has to sell the farm, or part of it. A developer buys it and 5 years later a subdivision stands where the farm used to be.

I found this map of Cary's annexation plans up through 2016. Looks like we're safe for at least another 10 years.

Town of Cary Annexation (http://www.townofcary.org/depts/dsdept/DR%20Web%20Site/annex/map.htm - broken link)

Old 02-12-2008, 10:45 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,659,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
No responses. My guess was right. I DID pay "Risk" too many times as a child.
I didn't respond because my Massachusetts routes cause me to have a hard time picturing an unincorporated area.

By the way, your User Title made me laugh!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
I didn't respond because my Massachusetts routes cause me to have a hard time picturing an unincorporated area.

By the way, your User Title made me laugh!
Oh! That reminds me! I need to change my title again.

Last edited by NewUser; 02-12-2008 at 11:29 AM..

Old 02-12-2008, 02:01 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,181,211 times
I think that a lot of that has already been determined by the cities' ETJ's (jurisdictions beyond current city limits). I have been searching the web for a map (or maps) that would indicate where each city's ETJ extends. So far, I am not able to find one. If I do, I'll post the link.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:17 PM

37 posts, read 173,414 times
Default Brighton Forest is Fuquay

We actually live in an unincorporated part of Apex....right by Crooked Creek Golf (off Johnson Pond Rd). There is a brand new subdivision which will eventually have a thru street linking our subdivision to Brighton Forest and those homes are going to have a Fuquay address with city water/sewer/ etc. They are talking about Fuquay encroaching on some of the unincorporated land in that area.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:04 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,438,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
There is still a lot of farm land down there. All it takes is for a farmer to lose money a few years in a row (can you say drought?) and he has to sell the farm, or part of it. A developer buys it and 5 years later a subdivision stands where the farm used to be.

I found this map of Cary's annexation plans up through 2016. Looks like we're safe for at least another 10 years.

Town of Cary Annexation (http://www.townofcary.org/depts/dsdept/DR%20Web%20Site/annex/map.htm - broken link)
LOL Cary will get it all eventually... and what Cary doesn't get Apex will be in the wings... waiting...

I saw this play out with Wakefield. Don't y'all think its strange there is this one pocket of "raleigh" surrounded by Wake Forest??? It was for the taking and Raleigh won.. no surprise. I'll say this though.. we may live just up the road from "Raleigh" but in no way do we consider ourselves "Raleigh." We even talk about "going to Raleigh" to see the moves, and the Marquee is only 3 miles from our house ! My daughter has lived in WF as long as she can remember, and it is truly her home....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary