Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 01:25 PM

16,424 posts, read 12,525,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post
Finally. Maybe that poor Wake Forest high school teacher would still be alive.
The problem there was not his speed (though that certainly was a factor). The problem was that he wasn't paying attention to the fact that traffic had stopped/was stopping ahead of him. He could have been going exactly the speed limit with the same results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 01:28 PM

544 posts, read 852,922 times
I think the photos of that crash speak to how violent it was.

To flatten that minivan and drive it into the semi in front of it with such force that the semi was driven into the car in front it, speaks to the speed and violence of that crash. *Excessive* speed and inattentive/distracted, no doubt.

While marked LEO can have a calming affect on traffic, the HP would have no trouble at all ticketing impatient, aggressive, texting drivers in unmarked vehicles.

People will continue the behavior until there is the fear of a consequence. But without much visible enforcement, there's no fear, since the only time we hear about enforcement is during the annual "crackdown."

As an example, drivers learned pretty quickly that the speed limit on Town & Country between Millbrook and Leadmine had been lowered to 30 mph, when RPD was there handing out tickets left and right.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:44 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,772,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post

People will continue the behavior until there is the fear of a consequence. But without much visible enforcement, there's no fear, since the only time we hear about enforcement is during the annual "crackdown."
Exactly ..... people here drive as though there is no enforcement and most times there isn't. Raleigh needs a traffic division that actually does that. _ell they don't even patrol school zones here. When I hear of children being run down trying to board a school bus I blame it on the lack of enforcement of existing traffic laws

Old 03-23-2016, 01:51 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,565,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
Exactly ..... people here drive as though there is no enforcement and most times there isn't. Raleigh needs a traffic division that actually does that. _ell they don't even patrol school zones here. When I hear of children being run down trying to board a school bus I blame it on the lack of enforcement of existing traffic laws
I totally agree with you and the previous poster. From my perspective Traffic/speeding enforcement is almost non-existent around most of the Raleigh area. Law Enforcement presence is severely lacking on the highways around this region and then every year for a couple weeks they advertise when they plan to be out . People won't begin to slow down and obey traffic laws until consequences are involved. It's an inherently human trait.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:08 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,938,576 times
Quote:
Totally agree too. Raleigh needs about 100 Bernard P. Milton Oliver Fife's running around slapping speeding tickets on those who don't obey posted speed limits

Old 03-23-2016, 02:12 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,772,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Bernard P. Milton Oliver Fife
Had to Google it but that's Barney

Old 03-23-2016, 02:19 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,938,576 times
Quote:
Had to Google it but that's Barney
Just thought it would sound more official

Old 03-23-2016, 02:30 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,598,607 times
The police have been out in full force today in Cary. Both city police and the state police. In the short time I was out and about I saw 4 police with cars pulled over.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:08 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,832,963 times
Everybody take a deep breath and relax, folks. It's only going to last from March 24--April 3. It's just a spring break revenue grab. Carry on.

North Carolina cracks down on drivers going one-mile-per hour over posted speed limit | WTVR.com
Attached Thumbnails
Law Enforcement Cracking Down on Speeders-2016-obey-sign-pay-fine-1  

Old 03-23-2016, 03:09 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,766,786 times
Their should be fear of consequence for dangerous acts - texting while driving, not using a turn signal, not being courteous/speeding up to not let people in/etc, poor driving habits - sitting in blind spots, following too closely, going too slow in the left lane, not using the left lane for passing only, etc.

Not for going 10mph or even 20mph over an already ridiculously low speed limit. Youre not saving lives. As someone else mentioned, while that cop is pulling someone over for going 65mph on cruise control on US1 with no cars around them, simply because "they were speeding", 10 cars flew by doing ridiculously selfish and dangerous things like the above.

But its cool, much easier to blame "speeding" than to look for the real problems which are much harder to solve. Luckily the revenue generators havent figured out a way to take away our laser/radar/Waze so at least those who choose to do so can fight back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary