Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 04:40 PM

7 posts, read 11,121 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm a Jewish woman who has lived in NC since 2009, and my husband and I are looking to buy a house in the next year or so.

I want to find a home with an assigned elementary school where there will be other Jewish kids. Does anyone in the area currently have any advice as to which schools have some Jewish presence?

I'm open to Raleigh, Cary, Durham, or Chapel Hill/Carrboro, but my husband works at N.C. State so Raleigh would be preferable from a commuting perspective.

If you're Jewish and your child goes to a public school, where does he or she go?

Thanks in advance for you help!

Respectfully,
S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 05:03 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie5005 View Post
Hello!

I'm a Jewish woman who has lived in NC since 2009, and my husband and I are looking to buy a house in the next year or so.

I want to find a home with an assigned elementary school where there will be other Jewish kids. Does anyone in the area currently have any advice as to which schools have some Jewish presence?

I'm open to Raleigh, Cary, Durham, or Chapel Hill/Carrboro, but my husband works at N.C. State so Raleigh would be preferable from a commuting perspective.

If you're Jewish and your child goes to a public school, where does he or she go?

Thanks in advance for you help!

Respectfully,
S
Well, we're in the Cary/Morrisville area, and I can tell you that my kids have generally been the only Jewish kids in their classes (elementary and middle). My older one now goes to a middle school ITB, and there are definitely other Jewish kids. I'd say aim for schools ITB or in North Raleigh.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:38 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
I used to work with a lady who lived here in Cary but she worked at a couple of temples in Raleigh (teaching religious ed). I would say that's where the concentration of Jewish people would be.

My kids go to the Davis Drive schools, and have had a few Jewish kids in their classes (my next door neighbors are Jewish as well). Not many though.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:45 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
There seems to be a larger percentage of Jewish families in North Ridge in north Raleigh.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:43 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Not in Cary and not Jewish, but there have always been Jewish kids in my kids' schools and in mine growing up here in NC. It's not like in NYC or something, but there has been a Jewish presence in the South for centuries. It's just a little more understated.

If you really want to make sure your kids are with other Jewish kids consider the Lerner School in Durham. I have several friends who have sent their kids there.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:26 PM

115 posts, read 135,505 times
You are likely out of luck in Wake County, sorry. (Raleigh is part of the Wake County district)

The Jewish community here is quite small. You won't find any public schools with a significant, or frankly even noticeable Jewish population.

Pretty much the only way for your kids to make some Jewish friends is to join a congregation and have them participate in youth group.

Can't speak from experience with Durham county, but I don't think it's much different.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:33 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakelily View Post
Pretty much the only way for your kids to make some Jewish friends is to join a congregation and have them participate in youth group.
Really?! Is Wake County that different?

I grew up in Fayetteville and had two Jewish families on my short street of maybe 24 houses and went to school with Jewish kids, still keep in touch on facebook. My spouse's best friend growing up in Charlotte was/is Jewish (not super religious, now, but went to synagogue regularly then). One of my kids' best friends (met in school) is Jewish here in Chapel Hill (dad is Jewish, mom not, neither very religious, but they make some good latkes) and she was just telling me today that a new friend's dad or mom one is Jewish (can't remember, she met the friend this year in a different school) . I know at least two families who have kids at Lerner, but I think probably more. Just seems weird that Raleigh would have fewer Jewish kids than Charlotte or Fayetteville. There certainly aren't as many Jewish folks as there are Presbyterians or anything, but as an adult I don't find it hard to meet 'em and I'm not trying (for the record I'm not religious).

Certainly if you're comparing it to NYC or something it's pretty different, but as a non-religious former Protestant I sure seem to know a lot of Jewish kids and families.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:04 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
I guess you could find the synagogues and either ask there or locate your house near one. There are a couple of Jewish schools (probably more, I've just seen some driving by) which are private of course, then you'd be sure. My wife, being from Long Island laments our lack of Jewish population as it has a negative effect on the quality of bagels.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:14 AM

7 posts, read 11,121 times
@TinkaMcKirk: Thanks for the info—do you mind me asking which middle school he attends?

Old 04-19-2016, 06:16 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,546 times
My daughter goes to Holly Springs High and there are a fair amount of Jewish students there (we are Jewish). I know a lot of kids from my Temple are at Green Hope, Apex High and Enloe. The "least" amount of Jewish students in any Wake Co school that we've been in was at Rand Road in Garner. I think the Jewish population in Garner is fairly low. But around Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, N. Raleigh - you'll get a good few Jews!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary