Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 06:24 AM

842 posts, read 2,588,457 times

Advertisements

The weeds in my Bermuda lawn this year came back with a vengeance. I found a weed killer, but my dilemma is how to reseed my Bermuda grass since a lot of it has also died. Has anyone here ever had to reseed Bermuda before and if so, what type/blebnd of grass seed should I be looking for?

I may have to throw down top soil on the entire lawn for the seeds to have something to hold on to. Any ideas and also, where did you buy your Bermuda grass seeds? I see a number of places online from different brands as well? I know that I can not aerate because Bermuda seeds can not be buried deep in those holes like Fescue. Any help on procedures and how to go about this? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 07:22 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
A couple of things.
Bermuda is insanely durable. It will fight back from near death experiences with a vengeance given the chance. That said, most Bermuda lawns (including mine) are not really fully active yet. I am about 60-70% greened up.
I would aerate and fertilize with a high nitrogen fertilizer before I overseeded and give the lawn a couple of weeks to kick into gear. You could even just rake it out before fertilizing to loosen up the surface.
Soil temperatures are not quite there yet for either your existing grass to really begin this season's growth OR for reseeding to have its best chance. Late May is optimal for overseeding if you choose to.
If you decide to overseed and you want to put something down to hold the seeds in place I would mix topsoil and sand in equal amounts and put a light layer down. The sand will help to level the surface. If you can, use what is called "sharp sand"-it is less fine than playground stuff and tends not to clump.
Today's rain will be a big help too. Things are pretty dry.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:28 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
The weeds in my Bermuda lawn this year came back with a vengeance. I found a weed killer, but my dilemma is how to reseed my Bermuda grass since a lot of it has also died. Has anyone here ever had to reseed Bermuda before and if so, what type/blebnd of grass seed should I be looking for?

I may have to throw down top soil on the entire lawn for the seeds to have something to hold on to. Any ideas and also, where did you buy your Bermuda grass seeds? I see a number of places online from different brands as well? I know that I can not aerate because Bermuda seeds can not be buried deep in those holes like Fescue. Any help on procedures and how to go about this? Thanks
Ah, dang. I wish I got to you before you weed killed. I would have told you to just burn the lawn. The weeds would die and the Bermuda grass would come back quickly. You can do this every single year. Professionals do this all the time.

Go to Lowe's and buy the Bermuda grass seed there. I had excellent luck with it. Spread it liberally on top and then rent a heavy duty dethatching machine and set it so that it ends up pushing the seed about 1/8" into the ground. Go back and forth, criss-cross patterns, so all the soil/seed gets touched. Keep the top lightly moist....never dry, never wet....until seedlings take, then start adjusting watering accordingly as it grows.....cutting back the amount of watering so, but watering longer/deeper.

Best of luck.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:44 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,210,026 times
There's no need to overseed Bermuda. It will fill in pretty quickly this summer. If you have hybrid Bermuda, you definitely don't want to overseed or you'll be dealing with seed heads going forward.

If you want instant gratification, get some hybrid bermuda sod and patch the dead spots.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:48 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
What type of Bermuda do you have? If it was installed with sod don't go buy seed, as the seed is common Bermuda and looks more like a weed than a grass.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:12 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
I forgot that your grass is dormant so late up in NC, so if you sprayed the weed kill while the Bermuda grass was dormant, then you have no problem whatsoever. That is actually a proper method. If the Bermuda grass was all brown, with no green showing at all except for the weeds, you can blast it with the weed kill and the weeds will die. Once it warms up enough, particularly at night, the Bermuda will come out of dormancy. Just give it some time to see where it is at. I would not touch it until at least June, maybe July. You are probably just fine. Never aerate Bermuda grass while it is dormant or just coming out of dormancy.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:19 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
My wife is SO pissed at me. We have Bermuda, and for the last 3 years I have sprayed it with Roundup while it was dormant (mid-February) to kill off all of the winter weeds. This year, for some reason, it is taking longer than normal for the Bermuda to start up. She says "All of our neighbors have green grass . . and ours is BROWN". I keep telling her that our neighbors do not have green grass. They have green weeds, as they also have Bermuda. She went to Home Depot yesterday and came home with 40 lbs of tall Fescue seeds. I said "Take it back!".

Old 04-25-2016, 08:01 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
This year is a little slow to green up. A couple of cold nights will do that, and we had 'em.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:46 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,023,401 times
Anyone have tips for killing a bunch of fescue in my Bermuda now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary