Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:42 AM

142 posts, read 175,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
Ditto.

We dealt with that a little in NY but usually the inspection stage was where the deals fell apart.

I'm preparing myself for heartbreak way ahead of time and thinking about how long we might be renting before being able to buy a home.
Inspection stage deals falling apart are less common here than NY, simple due to newer inventory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 10:43 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
We had 5 days to find a house. Blew through days 1 and 2 and then found an acceptable one. Offer was accepted in about 24 hours. Closed in 5 weeks.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:49 AM

341 posts, read 297,134 times
5 years. Realtor hates me. Gave up and decided to build

Old 05-02-2016, 11:03 AM

284 posts, read 269,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
You are very brave! Although I've gone insane with the research, we'll have only spent a total of 10 days there before we move (providing things in NY go smoothly). In the back of my mind, I'm leaving room for Raleigh not being where we settle long-term. Just because I moved to Florida once, based on vacations there, and reality wasn't as great as I thought it would be. Renting would allow us flexibility at least.
We're from NY too and jeez does it worry me timing wise how we are going to do everything. Like, we wont have much time between applying for a transfer, getting it, then getting up and moving. I wish you the best of luck and I'd love to know how it goes for you. I don't want to rent either but I feel I might have to because of timing.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:08 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,592,274 times
Started looking in November and finally found something beginning of April. I was being very picky though and looking for something ITB. I definitely could have found something in North Raleigh sooner.

First offer and 6th place I looked at.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:08 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCityEric View Post
Inspection stage deals falling apart are less common here than NY, simple due to newer inventory.
What a wonderful thing that is. I wouldn't even mind the Raleigh version of a 'fixer-upper' because it's still probably 30 years younger than my current home. But my husband is spoiled, looking at all the listings, and wants as ready-to-move-in as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenleex View Post
We're from NY too and jeez does it worry me timing wise how we are going to do everything. Like, we wont have much time between applying for a transfer, getting it, then getting up and moving. I wish you the best of luck and I'd love to know how it goes for you. I don't want to rent either but I feel I might have to because of timing.
I wish you luck too! You will probably be there before I am. We're not doing this until Spring 2017. And how great that you can put in for a transfer! From what I'm reading, moving there without a job ready for you is a bad idea.

I'll send you a private message about the details of our plans, maybe the research I've done can help you too.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:11 AM

203 posts, read 327,750 times
I have a family member who just had their offer accepted yesterday, she looked actively for about a month and a half. Saw probably a dozen houses, put offers on a few but always in multiple bid situations and lost out. It was very stressful. There is a feeling in the air right now with the Raleigh market that you can't even have time to think because within hours of hitting the market any somewhat desirable property is going to have multiple offers. There were a few houses she was interested in looking at, she contacted her agent the day they listed and the selling agent basically said "Don't even bother coming to look, there are already offers." I got the feeling that investors were just making full price offers on anything and everything.

The house she ended up getting had at least 3 or 4 other offers, she ended up offering about 3k over asking and a lot more DD money than would be typically be involved if the market were normal. We are all just glad it's over and crossing our fingers that it closes without issue. It's crazy out there! I'm glad we bought our house last year, although it was almost as bad then. Our house was on for 3 days and had 3 offers. I'm really wondering when it's all going to come crashing down. I don't envy those trying to buy right now.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:30 AM

326 posts, read 385,080 times
We've been actively looking since about March and have currently looked at about 40 homes, maybe more. We haven't put an offer in on one yet, but we might be getting close. We have the luxury of not being in a hurry, which is nice. We're not looking in the area hotbeds regarding price range or geographic location so I'm not worried about getting into a multiple bid situation when we do find the right one (though anything is possible).

Old 05-02-2016, 11:37 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,753 times
Our realtor started working with us in November of 2014. We looked at so many homes it was ridiculous! Put an offer on a home in May 2015 and lost out to another bidder. Continued looking and put in another offer on a home in August 2015, not accepted and they were not willing to negotiate. I really liked a plan from a local builder but the home was overpriced and it was on a very small lot, tried to negotiate with the builder and he did not want to budge. Finally saw the same plan on a different lot that was acceptable and 10's of thousands less so we signed a contract in September of 2015 with a closing in October 2015. Let's just say our realtor earned every penny of his commission To be honest, my husband and I have very different ideas of what we find important in a home, so to find a home that we are both satisfied with is an accomplishment.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:06 PM

56 posts, read 55,947 times
Started working with our realtor Nov 2014, seriously looking by December 2014. Made 4 offers (including $8K and $15K over asking and lost out) and missed at least a couple of homes because weren't quick enough to make a firm offer.

Six months and 60 odd houses later, 4th offer was accepted (effectively $1K over asking) in May 2015, closed a month later. In hindsight I think we got overly emotional/caught-up in the "hysteria" of the market (especially after losing out on homes) and should have taken more time . Ah well, live and learn I guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary