Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 05:16 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,756,246 times

Advertisements

I asked this question a while ago, and everyone recommended Dr. Mauro at the Costco in Durham. Does the new Apex Costco have a good optometrist? That's much closer to me.

I'm looking for a basic optometrist with none of the "extras." Something in west Cary or Apex would be nice. I went to myeyedr or something similar chain, and they had 10 min optometrist slots (they seemed super rushed), free bottled water, and free coffee as well, but I don't care about those extras just for a higher cost.

I miss the old-school optometrists that were still around 10 years ago! I guess I'm getting old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 05:55 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,210,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I asked this question a while ago, and everyone recommended Dr. Mauro at the Costco in Durham. Does the new Apex Costco have a good optometrist? That's much closer to me.

I'm looking for a basic optometrist with none of the "extras." Something in west Cary or Apex would be nice. I went to myeyedr or something similar chain, and they had 10 min optometrist slots (they seemed super rushed), free bottled water, and free coffee as well, but I don't care about those extras just for a higher cost.

I miss the old-school optometrists that were still around 10 years ago! I guess I'm getting old.
I don't think they exist anymore...

Old 05-09-2016, 06:08 PM

821 posts, read 1,462,966 times
I see Dr. Russello at Preston Optometry - no free water. His appointments aren't long, but I've never felt rushed by him (and he's always good at answering my questions). They recently moved to a new office, I believe it's near the Fresh Market on Cary Parkway. Good luck, hope you find someone you like!

Old 05-09-2016, 06:17 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,951 times
Don't go to Russello. The reason that his appointments are quick is that he doesn't do all the tests that most optometrists do and has outdated equipment. His practice seems to be based on volume rather than quality. He got my prescription incorrect as well as my husband's. While we were in the waiting room, we heard another patient telling her daughter that she thinks he is a quack.

His secretary also does the contact lens fittings rather than an actual professional. I was not comfortable with that in the least.

I haven't found a good one yet, but have recently read good things about Dr. Uwe Canting and Dr. Ira Tucker.

Please report back if you find a good one!

Old 05-09-2016, 06:21 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
I'm not sure what you mean by "extras," but I've been happy with Dr. Wieand at Ira Tucker and Associates next to Waverly Place.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:45 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Dr. David Bigsby - he's in Cary over on Jones Franklin. He won't rush you.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:47 PM

821 posts, read 1,462,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCInMyMind View Post
Don't go to Russello. The reason that his appointments are quick is that he doesn't do all the tests that most optometrists do and has outdated equipment. His practice seems to be based on volume rather than quality. He got my prescription incorrect as well as my husband's. While we were in the waiting room, we heard another patient telling her daughter that she thinks he is a quack.

His secretary also does the contact lens fittings rather than an actual professional. I was not comfortable with that in the least.

I haven't found a good one yet, but have recently read good things about Dr. Uwe Canting and Dr. Ira Tucker.

Please report back if you find a good one!
Wow, I'm sorry you had this experience. I've been going to him for years and haven't had any issues, but I don't wear contacts anymore. I do hope you find someone you like!

Old 05-10-2016, 05:00 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
I live two miles from the Apex Costco but I'm sticking with Dr. Mauro. :-)

Old 05-11-2016, 07:34 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Eyes and eyesight are very, very, very important. There's a reason Dr Mauro is recommended so often.

My husband's retinal surgeon at Duke recommended her for his glasses!

Old 05-11-2016, 02:06 PM

142 posts, read 223,682 times
My children see Dr. Richard Mackowsky, inside the Durham Walmart on 15-501. It isn't close (we're in Cary) but he's really good and the prices are much better than places we tried in Cary. Not sure where the Costco is so he may be a little closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary